Photo

About those crash cymbals with the holes in them...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IN
The trashy crash cymbals have definitely sparked a new trend in sound courtesy of Sabian. If I recall correctly, their Ozone crashes came first followed by some Zildjian offerings and now Paiste has introduced "Swiss" crashes into their Alpha line (nice touch with the Swiss cheese reference). I can understand their visual and audible appeal with their quick trash-nasty china-like sound without having to carry a separate cymbal bag for an awkwardly-shaped china.

My question is (with playing styles and stick sizes being equal - no extreme metal bashers with billy clubs please) how durable are these cymbals?? Holes are drilled in cymbals to prevent cracks from spreading, but this doesn't always work. In the case of large multiple holes, do they provide an opportunity for weird tensions for cracks to radiate? Has anyone ever gotten a stick caught inside the holes while playing? Weird things can happen while playing and a wobbling holey cymbal just might catch your stick....I'm just sayin'...

Thanks for your insights.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
I've heard that the Sabians have durability issues but I've never owned one. A Zildjian exec told me that the A Custom EFX crash was designed with a drilling pattern not as prone to breakage, when compared to the Sabians. I would think though that holes in the playing surface of the cymbal might be the problem, not the shape of them.

brodeo

brodeo

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFt Collins, Colorado
I have been using an 18 Sabian for a few months. I'm definitely more careful when I hit it than I am with my conventional crashes but it's held up well so far to my heavier hitting. It's at a pretty horizontal angle so I've also never caught a stick in one of the holes!

I'm buying a Paiste one as soon as they're available, I'm a Paiste guy and only got the Sabian to tide me over. Very happy that they did this.

zildjian@consol

zildjian@consol

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  • LocationKaty,Texas
I'd be scared to hang a stick in one of the holes....not good

RyanR

RyanR

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,530 posts
  • LocationAthens, OH
Just noticed today that Istanbul Mehmet is doing "Holey" (creative name, huh?) crash cymbals....

Thwack

Thwack

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,325 posts
I call these golf cymbals.....you know...the ones with 18 holes..... :lol:

Rimshot!

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,475 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
If you are a heavy hitter I would stay away. They look really thin! :blackeye:

biggator

biggator

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I have a 16" Paiste Signature with a vertical crack in it... was thinking of making an oval hole (cutting out the crack.. it's right in the middle of the bow) or three and making one of these cymbals out of it. Just not sure I want to get into trying to neatly cut a cymbal.

Where's the cymbat guy been? He loved doing stuff like that!

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IN

I call these golf cymbals.....you know...the ones with 18 holes..... :lol:

Rimshot!

Wiseguy eh?? :lol:

That's pretty funny. One's tempted to call them swiss-cheese cymbals but Paiste is already doing that for serious. Personally, I like a good cave-aged gruyere.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
Don't know if anyone has noticed, but the drummer for Saturday Night Live uses a pair of the A Custom EFX ones as his main crashes.

AgDrumma07

AgDrumma07

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,135 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but the drummer for Saturday Night Live uses a pair of the A Custom EFX ones as his main crashes.

I never noticed but I wonder if that's to help with volume on that tiny stage.

drummer5359

drummer5359

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have an 18" HHX Evolution Ozone and it fills the need for a "china-ish" cymbal for me. And no, I have not had any durability issues.

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
what he said, i have the 16" version of that and it is the one that sounds most like a china.

Halldór L

Halldór L

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationIceland
I have a 20" O-Zone crash that I´ve been beating the living daylights out of for two years now. No issues so far.

But the golf club is bit bent though :rolleyes:

amir_zwara

amir_zwara

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Just noticed today that Istanbul Mehmet is doing "Holey" (creative name, huh?) crash cymbals....

Oh! Ryan where did you find these?

RyanR

RyanR

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,530 posts
  • LocationAthens, OH

Oh! Ryan where did you find these?

It's on the istanbulmehmet.com website under the Radiant series crashes.

Posted Image

Have fun finding any info here in the states.... Mehmet dealers are few and far between. Check Cymbal Vault in Australia... seems to be some of the best info in the English language. ;)

-Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users