- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

knavel

knavel

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationItaly
My friend bought a 71-ish SSB Gretsch kit that was the subject of another thread here.

He now has the kit and it turns out the mounts are Rogers not Gretsch, as can be seen:

Posted Image

There is a 13'' and a 15'' tom with these mounts. The bass drum is virgin and I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

Did Rogers ever make a dual-tom floor stand that would work with these mounts? Single mount floor stand?

Or is the only way to put a mount on the bass or use a snare stand?

Edited by knavel, 22 January 2011 - 09:58 AM.

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests
There was a dual tom floor stand. If I'm remembering correctly, the same dual tom mounting hardware that attached to the receiver on the bass drum via a tube can also be the uppermost section of a floor stand. My hunch is that most cymbal stands of the period would accept that tube from the dual mount. Here's a picture of the mounting hardware for the two toms.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,274 posts
  • LocationIllinois
There was a floor stand although finding one may be a trick after all these years. There would certainly be other options such as marrying the top of a double tom mount off a bass drum style mount with the lower portion of a cymbal stand like Leedy mentions above (which is essentially what the factory floor stand was anyway) or just clamping a pair of swivo arms coming off two cymbal stands. There are several available clamps that could easily accomplish that.

Of course this is probably among the best places to look for an original dedicated Rogers floor stand so maybe someone who has a spare one available will chime in.

Gretsch hardware was particularly crappy at that particular time (primarily due to their not keeping up with newer designs) and many people who wanted Gretsch drums opted to get them without any hardware and then have another better design used on their set. Rogers was probably the most flexible tom mounting hardware available at that time and you see a fair number of Gretsch sets from that era with Rogers tom brackets and hardware as their original fixtures.

Edited by K.O., 22 January 2011 - 10:25 AM.

Deane

Deane

Advanced Member

• Platinum
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationWashington DC
Here is an example of what K.O. described. It came like this off the Bay. You see them occasionally.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,475 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011

My friend bought a 71-ish SSB Gretsch kit that was the subject of another thread here.

He now has the kit and it turns out the mounts are Rogers not Gretsch, as can be seen:

Posted Image
There is a 13'' and a 15'' tom with these mounts. The bass drum is virgin and I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

Did Rogers ever make a dual-tom floor stand that would work with these mounts? Single mount floor stand?

Or is the only way to put a mount on the bass or use a snare stand?

Yes, That rogers swivomatic is superior to the original Gretsch mounts. You don't find the Rogers stands very often but Ryan "blkonyx" has a stand available now on eBay. You should bid they are not all that common anymore. Send him a PM to see what it takes to buy it outright! Posted Image
http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_5600wt_1139

knavel

knavel

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationItaly

You don't find the Rogers stands very often but Ryan "blkonyx" has a stand available now on eBay. You should bid they are not all that common anymore. Send him a PM to see what it takes to buy it outright! Posted Image
http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_5600wt_1139

Wow you guys have been really helpful.

Before I go after blkonyx's ebay one, can someone confirm that there is no issue with his fitting my friend's drums? Specifically, I'm referring to this thread where the OP said the mounting hardware didn't fit tom mounts....I could never really tell how this turned out.

http://www.drumforum...ms-differences/

Rogersoholic

Rogersoholic

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,711 posts
  • LocationDrumFox.com
I have one for sale. Let me know Rogersdrum@yahoo.com

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,274 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Wow you guys have been really helpful.

Before I go after blkonyx's ebay one, can someone confirm that there is no issue with his fitting my friend's drums? Specifically, I'm referring to this thread where the OP said the mounting hardware didn't fit tom mounts....I could never really tell how this turned out.

http://www.drumforum...ms-differences/

It would be very unusual to snag a stand that wouldn't work with your mounts. I've never run personally across any Rogers swivo hardware that wouldn't mate up. I'm not sure what the issue was with that post you'r referring to but one possibility is that there were some English Rogers parts mixed in. The English hardware outwardly looked the same but apparently wasn't (at least not all of it). The chances that either of the available floor stands mentioned above being English is pretty slim unless they are coming from the other side of the pond. I don't think you have much to worry about.

DanC

DanC

Lord Vader, the drums are aboard and your cruiser awaits.

• Members
  • 11,504 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Rogers tom arms will fit the mounts on those toms.
However, the stand in the auction consists of only a cymbal stand base and the tom 't-bar'. This limits the height available on the rig: not sure if it would go high enough for your friend.
It's easy to put one like this together: you need only a stand base and the t-bar and the 2 tom arms.

Looking at the stand in the photo of the Silver Sparkle set, you can see that this stand is different. It has a larger tube in the base, this accepts a tube that is large enough to install the t-bar. This tube is the same size as that on the cymbal stand base I mentioned above.

You need to determine which type of setup is going to work in your/his situation.

knavel

knavel

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationItaly
You have all been very kind.

DanC, thanks for pointing that out--basically this is what Leedy and K.O. theorized but you have observed the potential shortcoming. My friend is rather tall and that might be an issue. I'll leave that for him to decide.

I only wish I could go to NYC for a week to restore those drums.

Drumsagogo711

Drumsagogo711

• Gold
  • 478 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville,VA.
I may be wrong but I think the Yamaha arms will fit the Rogers mount??
Later,Dave

knavel

knavel

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationItaly

Later,Dave

If so that would be massively convenient.

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,205 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo,Ca

Later,Dave

It works great! And they're better made , plus more adjustable! I've got that exact setup on my Rogers Holidays. Really prefer them to the Swivomatics...........

Hotpot David

Hotpot David

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Later,Dave

It works great! And they're better made , plus more adjustable! I've got that exact setup on my Rogers Holidays. Really prefer them to the Swivomatics...........

Would you happen to have a pic you could post of your Yamaha mount? Just curious to see exactly what it looks like. I didn't realize any other brand would fit the Rogers mounts.

thanks,
David

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Later,Dave

would you happen to have a pic you could post of your Yamaha mount? Just curious to see exactly what it looks like. I didn't realize any other brand would fit the Rogers mounts.

Just your standard, garden variety Yamaha post. and Rogers collet. My Rogers set came with the dreaded Pearl mount on the bass. Turns out the Yamaha post is 7/8", and fits right in. That, with the Swivo on the tom, makes for an elegant, and much stronger solution. And I put the ride cymbal arm in the leftover hole, loosing another stand from the bag! Please note the gaffa tape memory lock.

Edited by crash, 23 January 2011 - 10:23 AM.

Hotpot David

Hotpot David

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Later,Dave

would you happen to have a pic you could post of your Yamaha mount? Just curious to see exactly what it looks like. I didn't realize any other brand would fit the Rogers mounts.

Just your standard, garden variety Yamaha post. and Rogers collet. My Rogers set came with the dreaded Pearl mount on the bass. Turns out the Yamaha post is 7/8", and fits right in. That, with the Swivo on the tom, makes for an elegant, and much stronger solution. And I put the ride cymbal arm in the leftover hole, loosing another stand from the bag! Please note the gaffa tape memory lock.

Thanks for the pic Crash. Interesting! I had bought a couple of swivo mounting plates that would accept the hex rods on my 59 Rogers set but the collet would not tighten down enough to secure the hex rod properly. Maybe the collet nose had stretched out some - I don't know. Again just curious.
Thanks again. David

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Later,Dave

Thanks for the pic Crash. Interesting! I had bought a couple of swivo mounting plates that would accept the hex rods on my 59 Rogers set but the collet would not tighten down enough to secure the hex rod properly. Maybe the collet nose had stretched out some - I don't know. Again just curious.
Thanks again. David

The collets were probably starting to crack. Right at the end of them, you can see it......

scottiedoo

scottiedoo

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • LocationBremerton, Washington
I didn't know Yamaha posts worked w/ rogers swivo stuff... that is actually REALLY cool... I love the old swivo hardware.. esp. when you find 'em stock on 3 ply ludwigs.. ringo/bonham style.. interesting stuff.. :occasion5:

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,205 posts
[/quote]
Thanks again. David
[/quote]
Ya know, I forgot to mention the cheap fix for that. Had that problem with the bass drum spur collets. You can buy the new, improved collars for $39.00. So two'd run me $80.00, plus shipping. Ouch! Go to your local hardware store. Take a hex piece with you, and ask for a "shaft collar" to fit it. It's a round, machined collar with a set screw in it. Basically, a memory lock! It'll run you about 3 or 4 bucks. Takes the strain off the collets. Works great. I've been throwing them on all my old memory lock-less hardware. Helps alot with the Ludwig tom mounts, too.......
One more tweak of the Swivo mounts is to put a washer on each of the bolts*between* the plate and the shell. Gets that big plate off the drum, and lets it open up noticeably..[attachment=90392:unnamed.jpg]

Edited by crash, 23 January 2011 - 12:08 PM.

DanC

DanC

Lord Vader, the drums are aboard and your cruiser awaits.

• Members
  • 11,504 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
If the collet noses do not clamp the hex rod tightly enough, it may indeed be that the noses are cracked or worn. This really only happens to the cast noses that came along in 1971 or so: these later noses are not usually found on earlier drums.

But, sometimes there is a 'generational' mismatch between the tom arm and the collet plates on the drums. The earlier arms used a fractionally small hex stock and often can be difficult to tighten properly in later collet plates. Conversely, many times a later tom arm will not fit into an earlier collet plate.

In either case, new collet noses won't help.

The collet plates in your photos look like later units, so if you do buy Rogers toms arms, better they are 'later' rather than 'earlier' examples.

I really hate to admit it, but those Yammie ball/socket joints do look good. Too bad they don't have a hex shaft on the bottom that would fit into the collet plate on a bass drum. For heavy gigging, it would be a setup I could 'live with. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users