Photo

I just picked up a Pearl Sensitone snare....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

thebeebe5

thebeebe5

Miss you, Bongo!!

• Platinum
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationSurprise, AZ
I tried to leave it alone here on CL, but no one picked it up and I was able to lay off it for 4 days.... A major feat in and of itself! I'm surprised at the build quality! It's a 10 (die cast?) lug chromed steel shell with nice heavy triple flanged steel hoops. And I noticed the long t-rod inserts are brass or look like brass. Its squeaky clean too. I also noticed the absence of an internal muffler which suits me fine. I never use one anyway. The head is dirty but otherwise fine. Seemed like a good deal if only for a backup to my new 402 Ludwig. Anyone else use these?

edit: Here's a crappy blackberry picture. It's 6.5 x 14. I'm interested to hear the difference between this and the Ludwig

Edited by thebeebe5, 10 February 2011 - 12:50 PM.

Cannons

Cannons

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
I am a diehard Sensitone fan. I think they represent the best bang for the buck on the market. I don't know how it'll sound compared to your 402, since the Supra is made from aluminum. If you want a better comparison, grab a 6.5 aluminum Sensitone. The one I have is my go-to workhorse.

shilohjim

shilohjim

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,733 posts
  • Locationshiloh, nj
They are great drums. I've got a phosphor bronze and an old Ferrone sig. and they're so very versatile.

mgdrummer

mgdrummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 938 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, IL
Vs. the 402 it's going to have a bit more "in your face" presence. The Ludwig will have more "air" to it's sound, if that makes any sense. It's the best way I can describe the difference.

Mike

bbunks

bbunks

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationChicago
Great drum -- especially for the price. I wasn't a fan of the overtones when I used a single-ply head, and thus used an Evans Dry Coated head. Was a good match.

cochlea

cochlea

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 576 posts
I heard somewhere that the aluminum sensitones are being discontinued.

Cannons

Cannons

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I heard somewhere that the aluminum sensitones are being discontinued.

Drag, man. They can have mine when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Thwack

Thwack

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,325 posts
I have a brass one. Great drum. I like the reverse dot head on it.

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationCanada
Probably one of the most under rated snare drums.

Bongo Congo

Bongo Congo

• Members
  • 6,562 posts
The ten-lug models are the Sensitone Elite. I've had a couple of those pass through my hands and really thought they were very, very nice. More to the point, everybody I know who has one absolutely loves it. They seem to have hit on a nice shell weight and design, that has a nice crack to it and plenty of nice tone. Not quite the same tone as a classic Supra, to my ears, but stands up very well as a backbeat snare drum. Well done, Pearl! Possibly the best-kept secret in steel-shell (the generally-favored alloy, they have others of course) snares.

Now here's a tip: Guitar Center Used always has a ton of them in the various stores, and usually pretty cheap. I've picked up Elites at $120 and $130. Can't beat that. Type "sensitone" into the nationwide search box. You'll get a bunch.

thebeebe5

thebeebe5

Miss you, Bongo!!

• Platinum
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationSurprise, AZ

Vs. the 402 it's going to have a bit more "in your face" presence. The Ludwig will have more "air" to it's sound, if that makes any sense. It's the best way I can describe the difference.

Mike

I'm seriously impressed so far! It's very "in your face". I put a Remo "Black X" head on it and I'm quite happy. The Black X is a "Black Suede" with an under mount dot like my favorite Remo CS batter head. It's got some serious punch so far....

Great drum -- especially for the price. I wasn't a fan of the overtones when I used a single-ply head, and thus used an Evans Dry Coated head. Was a good match.

I'm really surprised no one snapped this one up in the 4 days I allowed it to languish on CL! I realy did try to lay off, and once I decided to get it it took a full 24 hours to be able to meet up with the seller even though he lives on the way home for me. I ended up taking it home for (are you ready??) a whopping $55! And I swear it looks brand new! I wiped it down with some windex this evening and put the new batter head on it. It's a 10 lug as someone mentioned already, but I didn't see any "Elite" designation. Is it simply understood that all 10 luggers are Elites? I don't care what they call it, I like it!

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,489 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA
I have the 5.5x13 brass model and it's a great drum.

Imposing Will

Imposing Will

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,601 posts
  • LocationEvansville, IN

I am a diehard Sensitone fan. I think they represent the best bang for the buck on the market. I don't know how it'll sound compared to your 402, since the Supra is made from aluminum. If you want a better comparison, grab a 6.5 aluminum Sensitone. The one I have is my go-to workhorse.

I had one...sold it to Bob(bconrad) because I'm a blithering idiot. :blink: Pretty sure I'm getting a steel or stainless soon.

Had one of these too. GREAT GREAT drum-probably the best recording drum I've owned. Sold it too, because...
Yeah. I'm an idiot.:huh: :-D

frankmott

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio
I worked for Pearl for 11 years. Those drums are way under-rated. I had the 6.5x14 aluminum for awhile. After Pearl and I "parted company," I A-B'd it directly with my old 402, same heads, same hoops, same tuning.
Virtually no difference.

I sold the Pearl.

thebeebe5

thebeebe5

Miss you, Bongo!!

• Platinum
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationSurprise, AZ
I'll tell you what I Don't like so far.... The throw off. It just doesn't work smoothly. Kind of like the fulcrum wasn't designed correctly and it requires pressure on both sides of the mechanism to engage the snare wires. Maybe it just needs cleaning and lube....

A J

A J

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I own 4 snare drums and 2 are sensitones: one brass and one steel. Both of mine are 10-lug older models and I couldn't be happier with them.

Nowadays, Pearl is making some lower-end steel sensitones that I've heard some complaints about. The Elites and older 10-luggers are loved by all.

If you bought that drum for $55.00 used, the seller probably lost at least $50. Well done.

Edited by A J, 11 February 2011 - 04:29 PM.

shuffle

shuffle

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe

I had one...sold it to Bob(bconrad) because I'm a blithering idiot. :blink: Pretty sure I'm getting a steel or stainless soon.

Had one of these too. GREAT GREAT drum-probably the best recording drum I've owned. Sold it too, because...
Yeah. I'm an idiot.:huh: :-D

When Sensi's first came out i bought the 5.5 Steel,5.5 brass,5.5x13 brass,6.5x14 bronze ,all great snares(still own a 5.5) but then I went to the 'airy'-nice adjective, MG-sound of Ludwig.
Great bang for the buck!
The 13 was killer,recorded great and live it was the s**t!

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users