Axis or Trick

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

joejoe57

joejoe57

• Members
  • 7 posts
I'm thinking of switching over from dw9000 pedals to either the axis or trick. I know they are more expensive, but are they worth it?

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationOregon
I use a Trick Detonator after trying virtually every pedal out there. Expensive, yes, but it is by far the best bass drum pedal I have ever owned. To me, nothing else comes close.

bermuda

bermuda

Pro

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
The Trick, Axis and Pearl Demon are in classes by themselves. There are a bunch of terrific pedals out there, but those 3 are different from the rest.

I gotta give props to Pearl's Demon, but the Trick is my pedal of choice. Smooth, responsive, and with a normal, heavier beater, has lots of punch that translates well from your foot. The Trick really does what your foot wants to do, rather than to over- or under-respond so that it works your foot. Instead, your foot works the pedal. I use the Pro1v with regular footboard, and it's speedy yet has lots of oomph. You don't really get both with most other pedals, although the Pearl does come close.

The Axis, to me, is a very speedy pedal and can match the Trick in that respect. But, it doesn't let you really dig into the drum and get oomph, not even with a heavier beater. For me, that's why it falls short of the Trick, and many other pedals: not enough punch.

Drums are a very tactile instrument, and pedals in particular are a very subjective device. Your mileage may vary, and I don't expect you take anyone's word for what's 'best'. So please do check each pedal thoroughly before plunking down any money, regardless of the amount. If you dig the Trick, don't be afraid to spend the extra $50 or whatever it is. It'll be money well-spent.

Bermuda

Edited by bermuda, 14 February 2011 - 05:53 PM.

Bun Carlos

Bun Carlos

Pro

• Platinum
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationCaledonia, Illinois
I use the Trick pedal. I dig 'em.

biggator

biggator

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,939 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

The Axis, to me, is a very speedy pedal and can match the Trick in that respect. But, it doesn't let you really dig into the drum and get oomph, not even with a heavier beater. For me, that's why it falls short of the Trick, and many other pedals: not enough punch.

The variable drive on the Axis A helps.. but it definitely needs a heavier beater - I know what you mean. You have to stomp it a little more.

I just ditched the Sonic Hammers.. they're a good idea, but it doesn't work very well to me. Good old wood ones for me now.

Guest_ERIX_*

Guest_ERIX_*
  • Guests
I've a Trick Pro 1V. Just refitted it with a longboard, dominator beater.

No way it gets better.

Rodney Bell

Rodney Bell

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationMaryville, TN
I play the 9000s and have played you name it as far as pedals go I have done a ton of session work and fill in work where all I brought was sticks.
Once I got what I needed to play unless it was junk I was never hindered by it.

But I love my 9000s

bconrad

bconrad

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 838 posts
  • LocationReno, Nev.
Trick. The axis is too light IMO and over engineered by today's standards.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I have an Axis A and an Axis X and I like them a lot , but the feel on them is too light for many people.I switched the sonic hammer beater out on the Axis A with a DW Hardcore beater and it helped a bit and I am happy with it. I got a chance to check out a Trick Pro 1V and that realy surprised me at how great this pedal really is.I honestly think they are well worht he money they are charging.They are excellent pedals.

Edited by RickP, 14 February 2011 - 04:31 PM.

bermuda

bermuda

Pro

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

I've a Trick Pro 1V. Just refitted it with a longboard, dominator beater.

I love the Dominator's beater, it's just the right weight and fits the look of the Pro1v... even if I'm the only one who can see it!

A little fun from a few years ago:

Posted Image

Bermuda

Guest_ERIX_*

Guest_ERIX_*
  • Guests
Completely agree. I hated the flat faced one. Even though it's adjustment was an exceptional bit of engineering, I could never really modulate it. It was either "on - or -off". The Dominator is bichin, and it does look totally boss.

Dano

Dano

• Members
  • 302 posts
I was able to find a Pro 1-V double pedal used. It was an excellent pick-up.

Prior to that, I had been using all DW and this was a great improvement.

5 Style

5 Style

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 6,477 posts
  • LocationSE Portland, Oregon
I don't know about the Trick, but I have an Axis X and I like the Iron Cobra that I also have much better. Just as smooth and fast, but with more power. In fact, I've played some much cheaper pedals at the store that I liked about as much as my IC. I guess that personally, I don't see the need to spend that much on a pedal. Still, I agree with what was said before in that a pedal is a really personal thing and if what you like is the really expensive one than by all means get it. If you really love the eel of it, it probably is going to make you play that much better.

bilkay

bilkay

• Members
  • 458 posts
Yep. Trick. Pro 1-V.

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationMiddle of America
I have a Demon Drive that I use a Eliminator beater with, and an Eliminator Power Shifter that I use a Demon Drive beater on (go figure).

I really like them both. If I had to replace one, I'd buy the Trick, mainly because of the dials and compression spring.

I've tried an Axis a couple of times and I didn't like it.

Buzz

rokkman

rokkman

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Locationlost wages NV
Would like to try the Trick, but man are they expensive.

bilkay

bilkay

• Members
  • 458 posts

They are expensive but I think these pedals will last a lifetime. And I've never had a pedal that felt more like an extension of my foot. But you should try before you buy if you can because no pedal is for everyone.

Edited by bilkay, 14 February 2011 - 10:46 PM.

MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
Hmm... I'll have to see if I can try out some Tricks. I've been wanting to upgrade to some Axis Longboards for a while, but if they're really that good, I should check into them!

One question though... why is the 1-V double pedal $850 new, when you can buy the single pedal for $325 and the slave attachment for $435... which comes out to $90 less for the same exact pedal? Am I missing something here? :unsure:

Halldór L

Halldór L

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • LocationIceland
My .02 cents:

Both the Axis and Demon lack oomph. They don´t give me the power I want from a pedal. The Trick has way more power.

But the one pedal I have tried (and use) that IMO surpasses them all in feel, speed & power is the Vector pedal.

Posted Image

bermuda

bermuda

Pro

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

You pay for what you get.

If you like the Trick but settle for a less-expensive brand, you'll be thinking about it every time you play. Is that worth saving $50 or 100? If you buy the Tama Speed Cobra and save $150, are you really getting the same pedal for less?? Of course not. The Speed Cobra is nice, but it's not a Trick.

Unfortunately, nobody's high-end pedal is 'cheap'. On the street, the DW9000 is right around $300, Pearl Demon is about $315, the foofy new Axis is $300... so the Trick at $325 isn't really out of line.

Be glad you're not in love with the Sonor Giant Step, that'll set you back $500!!

Bermuda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users