• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

gezz

gezz

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Scotland
Put these on my Masterworks Drums and my Masters Birch.. the Orion kit has one on the 15" Floor as well..
They sound really warm and thick.. no issues as regards coating, its holding up really well with just a few bare patches on the the 10" tom..
Especially love these heads on the floor toms.. resonant and full

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,912 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina
I sure love mine!! :occasion5:

bob

bob

Drum Czar

• Validating
  • 2,531 posts
  • Locationsherwood park canada
i use these on my rogers , and ludwig sets..... i really like them

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Platinum
  • 15,261 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Using mine on my Keystones!

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 5,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
I haven't used the Vintage Emps, but I really like the Vintage A's. I've been thinking about picking up a set of the vint a's and Vint Emps for when we go into the studio next month, to compare them and see which I prefer.

Bongo Congo

Bongo Congo

• Members
  • 6,562 posts
Thanks for the "heads"-up! :notworthy:

drumedge

drumedge

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,841 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne Indiana
Excellent tone on my Classic Maple toms!

carl1969

carl1969

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
I have them on my Tama Starclassic Performers (Birch), we'll see how they sound at the next gig

Luddite

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief

• Gold
  • 9,123 posts
  • LocationThe Great Black Swamp
I'm using them on my big Mahogany stain Classic kit over coated Ambassadors. I'm liking them so far, although I'm struggling to get the 15 dialed in. The 16 and 18 sound great, though. The 16 was the problem child before the head swap, but it sounds great now, good enough that I might stop looking for a 16x16 floor tom to replace it. I'm starting to become a Remo guy again, thanks to the Vintage series heads---I love the warmth of them. The quality control---not so much. The 18 was a bear to seat on the bearing edge. The Evans G1 on the snare that I'm using on that kit is actually holding up better than the Emps as far as the coating, and I've been playing on it several months longer (and with considerably greater frequency).

gezz

gezz

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Scotland

I'm using them on my big Mahogany stain Classic kit over coated Ambassadors. I'm liking them so far, although I'm struggling to get the 15 dialed in. The 16 and 18 sound great, though. The 16 was the problem child before the head swap, but it sounds great now, good enough that I might stop looking for a 16x16 floor tom to replace it. I'm starting to become a Remo guy again, thanks to the Vintage series heads---I love the warmth of them. The quality control---not so much. The 18 was a bear to seat on the bearing edge. The Evans G1 on the snare that I'm using on that kit is actually holding up better than the Emps as far as the coating, and I've been playing on it several months longer (and with considerably greater frequency).

The warmth of these heads is like nothing else I have had the pleasure to play :)

sleepykeith

sleepykeith

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa
they seemed too "dead" to me when i tried them out on a kit a while back, maybe i should give them another try.

jaybeez

jaybeez

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 982 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
Resurrecting this one to comment on my experience. Put these on my kit today, toms only. A custom maple kit (6 ply Kellers) made by a local guy and DFO member. Really a warm, full sound, especially in front of the kit. Interestingly, on first play they seemed a bit brighter behind the kit vs. the Evans EC2's they replaced. After a bit of play, they sound nice and full from both sides. Tuned them a bit low, and they have a nice meaty sound, and great feel.

4164SB

4164SB

Percussionist Maximus

• Banned
  • 5,125 posts
  • LocationCity Of Chickens

I haven't used the Vintage Emps, but I really like the Vintage A's.

Tell me more about the Vintage A's...

RyanR

RyanR

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationAthens, OH

I love 'em! I have them on both kits. Really warm and full. None of that slappy stick attack that I was getting with the regular Emps. I'm guessing the Vintage A's will be brighter than the Vintage Emp's.

There's something about either the film or the coating on the Vintage heads. The coating lasts and lasts.

The Vintage heads seem to be great for mellowing and warming up a "loud" kit. On my 6-ply Ludwig kit tuned to "bop" tightness, the sound is pretty magical to my ears. Right at home with the dark and woody Istanbul's I use around the house.,

They do take a little bit of breaking in. I just tune 'em up and play them (no tighten the crap out of them to break the glue thing), and within a day or two, they settle right in.

-Ryan

Edited by RyanR, 31 May 2011 - 08:23 AM.

Mendozart

Mendozart

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
I am really digging these heads on my Blaemire kit. I have the Vintage A's on my 8 & 10 toms, and Vintage Emps on my 12,13,15,& 16 toms. The tone and feel is what I'm really liking the most.

shiek_yerbouti

shiek_yerbouti

• Gold
  • 342 posts
I'll be ordering some Vintage Emp's pretty soon myself. Everybody seems to be in universal agreement that they sound great on the floor toms, but I have seen comments that they are harder to dial in on the smaller drums.

Do you think it would make sense to put a Vintage A on my 13" and a Vintage Emp on the floor tom?
Or should I just put the Vintage Emp's on both toms?

I am also thinking of coated Diplomats for the rezos.

Thanks,
Tony

Edited by shiek_yerbouti, 31 May 2011 - 09:44 AM.

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,912 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

I haven't used the Vintage Emps, but I really like the Vintage A's.

The Vintage A's compared to the Vintage Emperors are mostly more tone control from the Vint A's. also the Vint A's are a tad brighter sounding. Remo Nailed it with both of these heads. The Vintage A's and the Vintage Emperors.

kip

kip

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,591 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa USA
I've been a fan of standard Coated Emps for years. Have them on my Gretsch USA's but do need new heads soon.

How do the differ from the standard Emps?

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,912 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

I've been a fan of standard Coated Emps for years. Have them on my Gretsch USA's but do need new heads soon.

How do the differ from the standard Emps?

Kip, this is a vague definition but accurate, but they are more of what the regulars are The ambassadors,and Emperors.

TonyBono

TonyBono

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

they seemed too "dead" to me when i tried them out on a kit a while back, maybe i should give them another try.

I was worried about this too, as I thought they might be a little too dead or muted for my acid jazz leanings. I typically tune my toms a little higher than most people though, which gives these heads a nice balance of pitch, projection, and warmth.

Edited by TonyBono, 31 May 2011 - 02:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users