• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

drumdrumdrum

drumdrumdrum

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSpringfield/Branson MO
I know its been discussed before but I can't find it.... HELP.
I have a what I believe to be ludloy late 60s that is peeling so bad it looks meeting like an acro with some chrome. Is there something I can soak it in to pull the chrome off. Then I can polish it...... I read on a web search soak in bleach ....soak in vinegar ..... etc. What should I do as closest media blasting is 40 miles away.
Thanks

ARGuy

ARGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
I don't believe there is any consumer grade chemical you can use to remove that plating. As far as I know, the only ways to remove it are to have it de-plated by a shop that does plating, or having it sand (or whatever) blasted. If there were a home remedy solution I'm sure it would have been announced heree with great fanfare.

Eric Sooy

Eric Sooy

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
Plating places use chemicals plus current to remove plating. If you blast the shell to remove the plating, you'll make a lot of work for yourself to polish out the shell. Do you have a bench grinder? You can buy spiral sewn buffing wheels for grinders, then with an abrasive compound remove the plating. Or, use the 'ol elbow grease method with sandpaper. BTW chrome is easy to get through, it's the NICKEL that's a real biotch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users