• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,283 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
The Yamaha rock tour custom thread got me thinking about cleaning some Yamaha lacquer finish drums. They have some grime on the insides of the bass drums as well. The inner ply seems to be an un-finished wood. The outside is a lacquer finish. What should I use to clean them up? What about polishing them? What would be a good item to use for that? Turtle wax? I want it to be easy. I want to wipe it on, wipe it off, and marvel at the shine.

RyanR

RyanR

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationAthens, OH
Lemon pledge on the Ludwigs.

hefty

hefty

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,882 posts
  • LocationSeattle
Dunlop Forumla 65 works well.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000EELB8W

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 10,283 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
I was thinking Martin guitar polish.. But don't know how the chrome parts would get cleaned by it.. And was wondering if there was something not labeled "guitar polish" that would be less expensive and a larger bottle.

AyotteBill

AyotteBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKingwood Tx.
I use Murphy's oil soap on mine. It works great.

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,484 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA
Wax on, wax off.
DW recommends automotive wax.
I've used Trick drum polish.

blueshadow

blueshadow

Drummer Excelsior

• Gold
  • 8,250 posts
  • LocationSouth of Austin, Texas

Lemon pledge on the Ludwigs.

Yep for the past 18 years on mine. Its what Jim Catalano recomended in a MD question years ago.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,431 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
I would agree that oil soap and lemon pledge are good since they do not leave a wax build up like liquid/paste wax.

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,619 posts
  • LocationOregon
Sorry, "No" on the Murphy's oil soap! this will likely break down the lacquer. Also, I think pledge is the wrong application on lacquer. I'm basing this on my experience with automotive lacquer finishes on concours cars.

To clean greasy stuff off of lacquer, water based cleaner will likely be ineffective. Also, you must avoid acetone, enamel reducer and lacquer thinner as these will quickly eat into the lacquer finish.

Here are the two perfect products for delicate lacquer finishes:

To clean greasy stuff off lacquer (like old wax), use PPG DX330 Acryli-Clean. This is what the auto painting pros use: Acryli-Clean

When all is clean, use Zymol car wax to polish. This stuff is expensive, but one container will do a couple of cars and all your drums for five years or so. It is mostly carnauba wax and it smells like coconuts: Zymol Wax

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationMount Holly New Jersey
I use Mothers chrome polish for all my hardware and lugs.. wipes on..little elbow grease and ur done. Leaves a haze when dry so you can always find the spots you missed. :icon_smile:

rsq911

rsq911

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 896 posts
Hi:

+1 (is that correct, never knew what this meant, lol), with Tommykat.

I have shown cars as well, and I have always auto products on my percussion/drum equipment.

Make sure to use non cleaner/abrasive waxes or rubbing compound. If they need cleaning or having "checking" in the finish (fine cracks), I like 3m brand glazes. It cleans, polishes, and brightens without removing the finish.

Carnuba waxes are the best, and will offer protection (to some degree), from moisture, dust, dirt, uv, etc...

Paul

Thwack

Thwack

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,325 posts
I used Brillianize on my lacquer drums. It was suggested by a drum manufacturer who used it at a trade show to polish up their drums at the show. I think it was the @ the Pearl booth, but don't really remember. It works well. Use the spray bottle.

My link

Edited by Thwack, 04 March 2011 - 01:28 PM.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 10,023 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
I use Martin Guitar polish - I keep it around for my acoustic guitars anyway!

Dave H.

Dave H.

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,085 posts
  • LocationSt. Joseph IL.
AS I have said MANY times before, I am a firm believer in NU-FINISH Car Polish :idea1: for the whole drum kit lacquer, chrome,
bronze & plastic. It just works :love6: . I get mine at Big Lot's for around $5.00 !! :notworthy:

Dave Huffman :occasion5:

Edited by Dave H., 04 March 2011 - 02:23 PM.

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 10,283 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

AS I have said MANY times before, I am a firm believer in NU-FINISH Car Polish :idea1: for the whole drum kit lacquer, chrome,
bronze & plastic. It just works :love6: . I get mine at Big Lot's for around $5.00 !! :notworthy:

Dave Huffman :occasion5:

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks to all! A question about Nu-finish: Does it clean as well as shine?

AyotteBill

AyotteBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKingwood Tx.
I guess I'm a little confused here. The reason I use the Murphy's Oil Soap is because my understanding is that it can be used on fine furniture. Aren't nice pieces of furniture protected with lacquer? Anyway, it was my thought that if the Murphy's was good for furniture it would be good for my Ayottes. Am I wrong?

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 10,283 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

I guess I'm a little confused here. The reason I use the Murphy's Oil Soap is because my understanding is that it can be used on fine furniture. Aren't nice pieces of furniture protected with lacquer? Anyway, it was my thought that if the Murphy's was good for furniture it would be good for my Ayottes. Am I wrong?

I'd guess you're on target. I have no idea what type of finish is on your Ayottes. Satin? I would be careful about putting an oil on a wood finish, though. I wonder what the manufacturers suggest? Probably mild soap and water. Not sure about the inner plies.

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,619 posts
  • LocationOregon
I honestly don't know what Murphy's Oil Soap is good for besides unfinished wood. If you try to use it on wooden floor finishes or table tops and chairs, it starts eating into the finish, which eventually gets sticky and separates.

Lacquer is a sensitive finish that has two really good qualities: 1) it is very easy to apply and wet sand to a smooth finish, and 2) it shines to an absolutely gorgeous, deep luster. Hence its use on auto finishes. You could drive your car to a concours and easily repair rock chips in a few minutes prior to showing the car. (Note that lacquer is not used on car finishes any more because of environmental concerns. Auto paints today are water based).

Lacquer also has some lesser qualities: the nature of the finish is soft. Most strong chemical cleaners eat into it. Even the fumes in a can of laquer thinner can melt the finish! The good news is you can slap some more lacquer on and wet sand it back into luster.

By following the standard automotive wet sanding and polishing techniques used on lacquer auto body paints, you'll have no problems. This includes application of the lacquer, wet sanding with 400, 800, 1200 and 2500 grit emory cloth (note that 2500 is about as abrasive as toothpaste), then using products like 3M, PPG or Meguiars' fine cut cleaner, swirl remover, etc. Follow this with a good, non-abrasive car wax like Zymol, and you will have one gorgeous drum. Note that some car waxes have abrasives, and these should be avoided.

greggp

greggp

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,699 posts
  • Locationsandy eggo
Behlen's OZ Creme Polish. I get it at Rockler.

AyotteBill

AyotteBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKingwood Tx.
Thanks Guys,

I guess I'll have to change the way I clean my Ayottes, which are a clear lacquer finish. I have a lot of car products around that I use on my sports car. I'll read labels though for abrasiveness. Should'nt be a problem though, as I'm careful with the new paint on my car. Thanks for the topic and the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users