• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

poot

poot

Penncrest Endorser

• Members
  • 5,634 posts
  • LocationOdebolt

I'm using American Vintage heads on my 1950s Slingerlands. Same heads as the Modern Vintage, but the American Vintage flesh hoops are sized just a little bit bigger to fit older shells.

They're a medium weight single-ply coated head. It's just that the coating is thicker than what you'd find on the equivalent "regular" coated head like an Aquarian Texture Coated or Remo Ambassador.

They do have kind of a "rubbery" feeling when played, seemingly dampening the stick's rebound a little bit. That effect seems to lessen a bit over time. Not that it's a bad feel, just a little bit different.

There's plenty of "grit" in the coating, giving them a rough surface that really makes brushes speak up.

Overall, I like them. They sound good on my old drums and seem like they'll last a LONG time. The coating seems super tough.

I'm aware this discussion is about Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, which I purchased for, but was unable to use on my '58 Slingerlands, as I couldn't get them to seat properly. Like Skydog, I tried American Vintage heads and noticed a dramatic improvement in tone and resonance. From my "Restored '58 Slingerland RK Kit" thread, here's what American Vintage heads sound like on '50s Slingerlands, tuned up tight. 12" tom has a thin head; the rest of the heads are medium. Remo ambassadors on all reso sides.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread; thought the following might be useful information in this discussion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7cjo0MZ3ws

BennyK

BennyK

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,849 posts

I gave them a chance some time ago and didn't really like them.Tone and feel were too alien for me. They will slip over vintage drums that are a problem because of tight fit, though.
Bluesman,if you're a Fiberskin guy, I can't recommend the REMO SKYNTONE enough . Very supple and beautiful tone. Best imitation calf I've come across. Good luck, Benny K.

Ah, the consensus-buster entry...just when I think I am sold on a product, a respected member will offer a different opinion and cause me to curb my enthusiasm. It really does just prove that there are no one-size fits-all products out there...and I am glad for that otherwise we'd all be cookie-cutter versions of one another.

Not that I won't try these eventually because the other reviews have me a bit intrigued. Can you expound on your impression of the tone and what about it you didn't like? The feel aspect I can get a picture of. Also, having no experience with the SKYNTONE, how are they different from FIBERSKYN heads. The REMO website was not clear to me.

Thanks to all for consistently providing informative insight as to ways I can spend more money on more gear! :occasion5:

Skydog, the American Vintage heads, just didn't feel right for me. Maybe it was the coarse finish or the counterhoop.Aquarian's a good outfit and I swear by the SK 1's. The black De Jonette snare heads were fantastic too.The American Vintage thin was a great reso for my 16 floor tom.
The Remo Skytone is flappy right out of the box ( supple). They found a way of creating a Fiberskin without the stiffness. The Remo Rennaissance are dynamite, but not very resilient and lose their tone quicker than normal heads. The Skyntone gets dimpled easier than the American Vintage. There you go. I didn't know I was a respected member...you make a me feel like a somebody... :icon_smile: Thanks Benny K

Bluesman

Bluesman

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

I gave them a chance some time ago and didn't really like them.Tone and feel were too alien for me. They will slip over vintage drums that are a problem because of tight fit, though.
Bluesman,if you're a Fiberskin guy, I can't recommend the REMO SKYNTONE enough . Very supple and beautiful tone. Best imitation calf I've come across. Good luck, Benny K.

I've tried skyntone and liked them...problem is...they only come in 13in & 14in.

rondrums

rondrums

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

They have a maple tan color to them. They are designed for brushes. The coating (to me) is not too much, not too little. I would say they keep their texture better than an Ambassador which tends to smooth out after not that much use. They are really unlike other heads I have heard or used. These are Aquarian's answer to those who are seeking a more calfskin type sound. Yet, they are not dull like calfskin can be. Fiberskyn to me is like fish scales. It has a drying effect to me. The AQ's are warmer. You can tune them high if you like. They come thin and medium.

I like them. Some don't. Like anything else. Matter of fact, I prefer them.

Gene, I can't get enough brush response from them. With sticks, they have a "rubbery" sound to my ears. They remind me of the old Canasonic heads from the 70's.

But we all have different tastes.

GeneZ

GeneZ

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,982 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Gene, I can't get enough brush response from them. With sticks, they have a "rubbery" sound to my ears. They remind me of the old Canasonic heads from the 70's.

But we all have different tastes.

We do. That's why I like them. :drunken:

studrum

studrum

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
I've used them a good bit on my late Round Badge Progressive Jazz set, for jazz and pop, and think they're pretty cool - warm, warm tone, last forever (no chipping), and not easy to dimple. On the downside, there is a bit of that Canasonic ruberiness to them (thanks for dredging up a memory, Ron!), and I have speculated that since they're thickish to begin with, ordering the Thins for batters might be best for jazz and folk/quiet music.

kip

kip

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa USA

I think this answers my question. Thanks guys.

I always relish this point in a thread.

I'm a mustard guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users