Photo

Speaking of snare wires, who uses Grosgrain Ribbon?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 15,690 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I got this tip here years ago. Now all my snares get the Grosgrain ribbon instead of the plastic or strings. It just seems to hold better and to me is smoother. How much for a roll of Grosgrain ribbon? $3, tops. Any fabric store has it in almost any color. Of course you could buy Canopus product that has two pieces fro $15! :-o

Edited by DanRH, 27 March 2011 - 07:29 AM.

publius

publius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i got some rainbow grosgrain from walmart. i'm not homosexual (not that there's anything wrong with that) but i think it looks cool on my chrome drums.

biggator

biggator

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,004 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Strips of old drumheads typically... the ribbon is a cool idea, may have to try that.

art

art

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 977 posts
that is all i use anymore ...first read about it here at DFO and have been a believer ever since. Cheap and i can get colors to match the finish of the snare except for the chrome...Rainbow does sound good for a chrome snare will have to get some.

Acrolite82

Acrolite82

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationEvansville, Indiana
I got that tip from Bob Gatzen. I bought a roll of black ribbon from a fabric store. I have it on one drum now and like it. My other 2 snares still have snare cord on them.

biggator

biggator

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,004 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

I got that tip from Bob Gatzen. I bought a roll of black ribbon from a fabric store. I have it on one drum now and like it. My other 2 snares still have snare cord on them.

Hmm... that just rang a bell - now that I think about it, I think my N&C/Zildjian snare came with it installed (Bob Gatzen helped design that drum).

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,431 posts
  • LocationCanada
I have a roll, haven't used it yet but I think this is the way to go.

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,266 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo,Ca

Strips of old drumheads typically... the ribbon is a cool idea, may have to try that.

The ribbon's more flexible, seems to work smoother. Probably conforms more to the snare bed. I just used what my girlfriend had in stock. I suppose I should go get some black ribbon! But it works and sounds great.[attachment=96661:IMG_3086_2.JPG]

Tomb

Tomb

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 607 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
I have some of that strapping ribbon stuff they use when shipping large packages. that works
great too. had it on one of my snares for years, but this stuff is probably easier and cheaper to buy.
thanks for the tip!

Stixnergard2

Stixnergard2

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,835 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY
I bought a roll of rainbow grossgrain from Walmart to use on my Mapex Meridian Maple snare drum. I replaced the wires with Puresound pros with the goofy quick release clip straps. I didn't like the clip type straps so I tried the ribbon. It works great and looks good too. Walmart didn't have 5/8 in black or I would have used black.

Scottie_Guns

Scottie_Guns

idrum = udig?

• Members
  • 1,901 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
Ha. Just looked up this subject here last week to find alternates to the plastic straps. I got some from my mother-in-law last Sunday. I learned that it's pronounced "grow-grain" and not "gros-grain" when I asked for some. :)

jaybeez

jaybeez

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
The guy who built my kit did this. Works great. I think I'm a convert, and will head to Walmart and get my own roll.

DrumART Jim

DrumART Jim

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY
After the whole Puresound wire debacle, grosgrain is all I'll ever use.

Edited by DrumART Jim, 27 March 2011 - 09:50 AM.

repete

repete

monkey drummer

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
  • Locationsouth florida
It's all I use. There was a craft store near me where I could buy it by the foot so I got colors to match
my snares. Now I just buy it by the roll - I got some red, white and blue just the other day.

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 5,455 posts
  • LocationStL
why would anyone use fabric for snare wires? wouldn't that sound really muffled, if there was any sound at all? :scratch:

:wink:

TomN

TomN

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE
Best prices I found for 5/8-inch wide grosgrain ribbon on ebay in these two colors:

5 yards black $2.50 shipped (need to select 5/8 as the size):

http://cgi.ebay.com/...8f#ht_500wt_922

5 yards silver gray $2.59 shipped (need to select 5/8 as the size):

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_7006wt_1192

atomicmorganic

atomicmorganic

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,164 posts
I use it on any snare that will accommodate it. Some of my vintage drums require string.

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,626 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA
Thanks Tom! Just ordered some.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 8,409 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Ha. Just looked up this subject here last week to find alternates to the plastic straps. I got some from my mother-in-law last Sunday. I learned that it's pronounced "grow-grain" and not "gros-grain" when I asked for some. :)

Now I know why I had a problem in the fabric store. I was saying Gross Grain. Ace

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I did a search for grosgrain ribbon on DFO (through yahoo since the search engine here sucks) and found this thread. Does grosgrain stretch?

Plastic strips aren't my favorite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users