- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

kyledavia

kyledavia

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, WA
I recently traded a cheap referbed no-name kit for a beat-up keystone Ludwig set. I know it's a sin to replace the wrap, but these are beat up with chunks of wrap missing, and I'd like to replace the old blue sparkle with fresh silver sparkle. My old youth group has had these for like ten or fifteen years )if that tells you anything about how much abuse they've endured).

The drums have the scarf joint where the wrap was rolled with the drum. Has anybody ever pulled that old wrap all the way out of the joint and been able to put new wrap into it? How?

Edited by kyledavia, 30 March 2011 - 03:55 PM.

tamadrm

tamadrm

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • Locationstaten island ,ny usa
Hi..welcome to DFO.I'm sure its been done,but I think it would take a great deal of work and skill to do so and you would still run the risk of destroying the shell.The common practice is just to use a straight edge to cut the wrap at or slightly inside the joint,leaving some of the old wrap still inside the plys.J.R.Fondelli is one of the expert drum builders/restorers here as well as a few other guys,hopefully they'll chime in here.Good luck

Steve B

MLayton

MLayton

Night Creature

• Double Platinum
  • 31,348 posts
welcome kyledavia. the info that steve gave you is right on the mark. no sin in rewrapping one if its in that bad of shape.

mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users