6 replies to this topic

Drumrocker

Drumrocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCanada
I searched this section of the forum for help but truly did not expect to find anything about how to drill hole in vintage drum shells...of course not. Well, I assume not too many of you have much experience in making holes and if it was just a couple of small ones to mount a rail conolette I wouldn't ask but I'm lookinh at enlarging a 1/2" hole to maybe 3/4" for a second set of spurs on a transition badge BOP kick. It came with a large standard telescopic spur in the front and a smaller set in the back that may have been factory installed, but I still want to change it to a larger size to match the front set of telescopic spurs. I would figure on using masking tape like you'd fo when cutting or drilling melamine but since it involves enlarging and existing hole in a pretty rare black oyster pearl shell...I'm a little nervous! So anyone who's done this before please chirp in and let me know if any special care must be taken in the process. Thanks!

Edited by Drumrocker, 13 May 2011 - 07:16 PM.

ARGuy

ARGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
I would think a Unibit would work great. I've used one to enlarge holes in non-vintage drums.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 18,461 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I would think a Unibit would work great. I've used one to enlarge holes in non-vintage drums.

+1
I had to enlarge a hole in a Gretsch custom floor tom recently and a unibit worked great.

I had to drill some holes in my OBP bass drum many moons ago (when putting a swivo mount on) so I understand your trepidation...but just be careful and it will turn out fine.

Drumrocker

Drumrocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCanada
Thanks guys. I've never even heard of a unibit but it looks like the ideal bit for enlarging a hole even if it cost over $30 a piece at the local hardware store. Anything else like a spade-type or hole saw would be difficult to keep the bit centered.

thin shell

thin shell

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Edited by thin shell, 04 June 2011 - 02:59 PM.

Drumrocker

Drumrocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCanada
Got me the Irwin unibit and she went hrough like butter. Supper clean cut and centers well without any alignment difficulty. I would have used a 3/4" hole saw bit if I hadn't asked. Thanks guys!

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 18,461 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Glad it worked out.

Those bits aren't cheap but like any tool now you'll always have it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users