• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationMiddle of America
Chunk - you know, in all of my years of playing vintage Ludwig, I've never had any problems with like that.

Now, Gretsch is another story... I'll never own a RB kit again.

Buzz

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,337 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

So I have been jonesing to let go of one of my modern kits and get a vintage kit. I have had vintage Ludwig and Rogers kits, but I am wondering if there are really any sonic differences between the "big 4"manufacturers from the 60s.

I tend to think of early 60s Ludwigs as very warm sounding, without a ton of volume or attack. The Rogers kit I had seemed sort of like a modern kit, although it was about 15 years ago and I can barely remember. Any Gretsch kit I have heard from the 60s sounds very focused and maybe a bit higher pitched (tuning, maybe?). The Slingerland kits I have heard/played on sounded somewhat similar to the Ludwigs.

Can anybody else throw in their two cents?

Thanks!

In general I follow along with this, although I think the differences are more acute than that. I love the tone of a vintage drum set. You just put the sonic differences in a nutshell.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,756 posts
  • LocationSingapore, Singapore

Chunk - you know, in all of my years of playing vintage Ludwig, I've never had any problems with like that.

Now, Gretsch is another story... I'll never own a RB kit again.

Buzz

Okay talk to me about the RB kits? I know some of them have problem seating heads, is that what you are talking about?

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,756 posts
It's been a while and I 'm still on the prowl for a 1969 Ludwig kit, but I have recently been thinking about other brands. A friend of mine recommended I check out modern Gretsch kits as well. What do you think, do modern Gretsch kits sound somewhat similar to vintage Gretsch kits?

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,497 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
If you like a more lively vintage kit go for 3 ply Slingy or 3 ply Luddy and for a more defined thump go with vintage six ply Gretsch or "Holiday" Rogers which I prefer from 1958-1968.

Edited by drumsforever, 11 December 2012 - 03:45 PM.

VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationTexas
Theres a bdp rogers holiday in great shape on the bay for 1600. Also have my 64-5 round badge up for sale.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

It's been a while and I 'm still on the prowl for a 1969 Ludwig kit, but I have recently been thinking about other brands. A friend of mine recommended I check out modern Gretsch kits as well. What do you think, do modern Gretsch kits sound somewhat similar to vintage Gretsch kits?

I have old Ludwig, Gretsch, and soon Rogers. Gretsch seems to like higher tuning. Apparently Gretsch high end is same shell layup as in the old days. There are plenty rock guys who use Gretsch.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

I have old Ludwig, Gretsch, and soon Rogers. Gretsch seems to like higher tuning. Apparently Gretsch high end is same shell layup as in the old days. There are plenty rock guys who use Gretsch.

So would most people say they don't notice a sonic difference between old RB era Gretsch kits and new Gretsch USA kits?

VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationTexas
Not a huge difference but i can tell. I'm thinking the biggest difference is in the wood snares. A lot of wooden rb snares are boxy, unless you find a really good one. I think the vintage vibe is unmistakable about a rb kit. The toms and bass have a great mix

Edited by MisterNobody777, 11 December 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,288 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.
The only thing I can add is that Slingerland never suffered from the Ringo effect and so are generally better build quality than mid 60's Ludwig. I think you'll always find different quality kits from anyone though, it's just the nature of making something.

I think the real trick is just to find gear that you love and that works perfectly for you, no matter when it was made. Of course if I'd known this when I was younger I might still be playing my late 60's Ludwigs or my first Sonor Phonic kit. Both those were kits to last a lifetime. But like anything else, I had to learn all that the hard way.

Gary

Gary

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,927 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

So would most people say they don't notice a sonic difference between old RB era Gretsch kits and new Gretsch USA kits?

TOTALLY. I have 125th anniversary kit that sounds nothing like my RB kits. It's definitely better. VERY wide tuning range. Way more balls in the bass drum and a superior snare drum. Of course that's just MY opinion.

VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationTexas
My rb champagne sparkle 20" bass drum sounds perfect. I've gone through 3 rb kits and they all sounded good. Slightly different from each other but all good. This champagne bd is very dynamic. I think with the newer technology the usa custom drums will be more consistent and any of the issues addressed in the past about rb kits have been addressed. In the end though, it was all about the sound for me, and remembering the sound of a set that i played when i was much younger. I would say you cant go wrong with usa custom or a rb kit thats in good shape. heads fit tight on some rb kits, while others are no problem. Nothing that a hacksaw trick cant fix ;)

VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationTexas
So in other words, all the USA customs will sound the same while its a gamble to buy a rb kit if you cant play it in person first

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

So in other words, all the USA customs will sound the same while its a gamble to buy a rb kit if you cant play it in person first

Thank you for the heads up.

VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationTexas
But when you do find that good rb kit ... WOW!!!

If i was gonna buy a usa custom brand new i'd get that mardi gras kit #1 that steve maxwell has. Or look for gently used one on the bay. I saw a 4 pc kit for like 1500-1600 in 12 14 18 5x14.

Theres also a few rb kits on the bay. A red sparkle progressive jazz kit currently at 1300 but it has a few days left of auction, a white 12 16 20 with snare for 1600, and my bdp progressive jazz for 1625.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,756 posts
I guess I should add I really want a 22" kick and a 16" floor Tom. I'm flexible on the size of the rack.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,756 posts
It seems like finding a 22" Gretsch kick drum is really difficult. Would you agree?

Edited by Chunkaway, 11 December 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,756 posts
Oops..double post

Edited by Chunkaway, 11 December 2012 - 09:51 PM.

VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationTexas
http://www.drumforum...rkle-221316-ec/

850!!!!

Stop sign badge

Edited by MisterNobody777, 11 December 2012 - 10:28 PM.

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,266 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo,Ca

I've owned RB, Renown, New Classics, and S/S badge sets. I've gotta say that the New Classics may have been the best. The S/S is very good, but I've gotta rewrap them and haven't played with them much. The R/B's were very good, but I needed to mess around some to get them there. I recently played a a very nice USA set next to a a Catalina jazz. I'd tuned them both, had time to really tweak them. It was a *very* small call between them. And at $300.00 vs $1600.00....... I shoulda grabbed the Catalina's. they were blue/white onyz. Just couldn't do it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users