Photo

What snare wires are under your Ludwig Ludalloy shelled Supraphonic?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Scriptlogo

Scriptlogo

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 573 posts
Been a few years since I've logged in so for those who have missed me (lmao) I'm back. :icon_smile:

Anyhoo, what snare wires are under your 5.5 inch Ludwig Ludalloy shelled Supraphonic and what type of sound are you getting? Need to purchase new wires for mine and any recommendations would be great. Thanks Ted Dugaro

Bonzoholic

Bonzoholic

RIP Tommy & Bongo

• Members
  • 6,899 posts
  • LocationPrescott, AZ.
On my 5" Supra, I am using the original script logo wires that came with the drum and it still sounds great! I have used Puresound Blasters and Snappy wires also, and they sounded great also, but the OG wires seem to have some Ludwig mojo still in them Posted Image

DolFan54

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot

• Members
  • 10,175 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, CA.
16 strand Puresounds but it doesn't seem to matter as that snare alWAYs sounds like a Supra!

Scriptlogo

Scriptlogo

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 573 posts
Thanks. Also how many wire strands are on them?

4164SB

4164SB

Percussionist Maximus

• Banned
  • 5,125 posts
  • LocationCity Of Chickens

... it doesn't seem to matter as that snare alWAYs sounds like a Supra!

My experience as well!
And it seems to apply to my HH Bronze also...

DolFan54

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot

• Members
  • 10,175 posts

My experience as well!

I used to own the non-HH version of your drum. One of the few I regret selling!

4164SB

4164SB

Percussionist Maximus

• Banned
  • 5,125 posts
  • LocationCity Of Chickens

My experience as well!

I used to own the non-HH version of your drum. One of the few I regret selling!

I had a Monroe badged non-HH version and did a SBS with the HH model. The only sonic difference was that the HH was dryer. I could get the same sound from the non-HH by adding tape to the batter head.

DolFan54

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot

• Members
  • 10,175 posts
BTW, welcome back! How are those Aqua Camcos?

ObiWan

ObiWan

Hillbilly Drummist

• Members
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationSW Missouri
24-strand Puresounds and Ludwig X-Thin snare side.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
The cheap Cannon or Gibraltar wires. They are nice and bright. The high dollar wires are almost always darker sounding, which is the opposite of what a recording engineer would want. AND, those wires sound very similar to what came on those drums....

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 4,114 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

The cheap Cannon or Gibraltar wires. They are nice and bright. The high dollar wires are almost always darker sounding, which is the opposite of what a recording engineer would want. AND, those wires sound very similar to what came on those drums....

Amen, Tommy. Any decent chrome-plated wires will work fine.

Puresound (the "high dollar" wires) makes great wires, but the lack of chrome plating gives them a darker sound. I would think that at this point in their history they would start offering some chrome-plated wires. They would sell tons of them.

PsychRed

PsychRed

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Amen, Tommy. Any decent chrome-plated wires will work fine.

Puresound (the "high dollar" wires) makes great wires, but the lack of chrome plating gives them a darker sound. I would think that at this point in their history they would start offering some chrome-plated wires. They would sell tons of them.

+3. Mine have the originals or the el cheapo chrome replacements. I snip off two strands, of the twenty strand sets, to make them "vintage correct", haha. I like bright wires on mine, even Puresounds can't quite kill a Supra but they sure don't help.

teenagebrain

teenagebrain

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
---> pURE-sOUND-pRECUSSION oN ALL sNARES ---> 20 & 30-sTRAND bRASS,mATRIX,bLASTERS wIRE-sETS ---> !!!

chetatkinsdiet

chetatkinsdiet

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationDallas
Ludwig brand replacements or snappy (i.e. cheapie/generic/cannon/gibraltar) are what sounds best to my ears. The expensive puresound and others just don't do it for me on any of my Supra and Supra-esque drums.

m

hooked on phonics

hooked on phonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationwilliston park ny

Been a few years since I've logged in so for those who have missed me (lmao) I'm back. :icon_smile:

Anyhoo, what snare wires are under your 5.5 inch Ludwig Ludalloy shelled Supraphonic and what type of sound are you getting? Need to purchase new wires for mine and any recommendations would be great. Thanks Ted Dugaro

hooked on phonics

hooked on phonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationwilliston park ny
hi ted . what year drum is it? the new wires don't sound anything like the originals
no surprise there though. i have 4 new supra wire sets that are collecting dust after
coming off my new ludwig snare drums. if only ludwig would have their wire makers
make them the right way again they would sell a ton of them! back in the day you would see
drummers with all makes of drums using these! hope so. because no matter what types of really good modern wires you use they just don't sound right!

PsychRed

PsychRed

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

---> pURE-sOUND-pRECUSSION oN ALL sNARES ---> 20 & 30-sTRAND bRASS,mATRIX,bLASTERS wIRE-sETS ---> !!!

That's some stylish typin' there teenage... or is your keyboard broke? :lol: :drunken:

AaronLatos

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang

• Members
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationNYC
Another vote for ludwig or generic wires. I've been cutting them down to 12-16 strand and have been much happier, too. I'm touring with a 5" bronze tube lug Ludwig right now. Single ply coated heads, pearl standard wires with two strands removed. Great sound.

Of all the "cheap" wires, the Ludwigs are probably my favorite. I use them on most of my drums.

Jack Rogers

Jack Rogers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationearth

I agree,bought the economy Gibraltar 42 strand for my Supra.

Edited by Jack Rogers, 08 September 2011 - 07:18 PM.

shuffle

shuffle

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe
20 strand Snappy cut down to 16 strand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users