• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

RogersCat

RogersCat

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 839 posts
  • LocationBelleville, Ontario, Canada
This drummer is not talked about too much these days in the West since his passing.
Not many people knew him since he was sitting back behind the group that had the funniest leadmen I know from the 60's.

I think he had remarkable creativity when providing the beat for the group. A quick right hand and very impressive rolls that complimented all their songs. I grow up following the British Invasion and such Drummers as Ringo, Dave Clark, Keith Moon, Barry Whitwam, and Mick Avory. I grew on the beat and still maintain it today. Something about the beat back then, it was kind of Motown with a little Jazz influence heard throughout. The washy rides and washy Hi Hats were sure pronounce during chorus breaks and drum fills. Was it the pronounced ride cymbal/hi-hats sound or was it the high pitch crack, and rudimental chops used on their snares along with off beats on the bass drum that got many drummers back then working on a mod beat of their own while copying their mentor's styles and sounds. I don't know, but it sure changed the way I approach a drum set back in my early days and still present today. Berdie your beat will carry on forever.

mydadisjr

mydadisjr

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 888 posts
  • LocationPrescott AZ
Only problem is...lots of that stuff was recorded with studio guys. Kinks, DC5. I would not be surprised if Freddie was also recorded with a studio drummer.

BUT...I do dig I'M TELLING YOU NOW (as well as Herman's Hermits, the Monkees and Gerry and the Pacemakers). Just don't tell Drumbob.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida
I saw that band live back in the mid-60's when I was in high school. The drummer was very tasty. This was not complex music, for sure, but you could hear that he had very good time and very good taste.

A lot of those 60's British rock drummers came up listening to jazz, and you can hear the influence in their touch. They didn't bash; they got a nice sound out of the drums. I always like the Zombies' drummer--can't remember his name.

DrumBob

DrumBob

Drummer Excelsior

• Banned
  • 8,676 posts
  • Locationnorthwest NJ

Only problem is...lots of that stuff was recorded with studio guys. Kinks, DC5. I would not be surprised if Freddie was also recorded with a studio drummer.

BUT...I do dig I'M TELLING YOU NOW (as well as Herman's Hermits, the Monkees and Gerry and the Pacemakers). Just don't tell Drumbob.

DrumBob knows about you already. I'm keeping a dossier. :wink:

Studio musicians were often used back then, much more than now, I believe, but one thing the British drummers did very well was swing. Someone mentioned this already. Many of the English drummers had that innate ability. That seems to be a lost art form these days for the most part.

RIDDIM

RIDDIM

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationMD

This drummer is not talked about too much these days in the West since his passing.
Not many people knew him since he was sitting back behind the group that had the funniest leadmen I know from the 60's.

I think he had remarkable creativity when providing the beat for the group. A quick right hand and very impressive rolls that complimented all their songs. I grow up following the British Invasion and such Drummers as Ringo, Dave Clark, Keith Moon, Barry Whitwam, and Mick Avory. I grew on the beat and still maintain it today. Something about the beat back then, it was kind of Motown with a little Jazz influence heard throughout. The washy rides and washy Hi Hats were sure pronounce during chorus breaks and drum fills. Was it the pronounced ride cymbal/hi-hats sound or was it the high pitch crack, and rudimental chops used on their snares along with off beats on the bass drum that got many drummers back then working on a mod beat of their own while copying their mentor's styles and sounds. I don't know, but it sure changed the way I approach a drum set back in my early days and still present today. Berdie your beat will carry on forever.

I'm pretty sure that was Bobby Graham.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 7,181 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.
Freddie and The Dreamers doing "Funny over you", from the 1966 movie, "Out of Sight".

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZtADHOdEwtw

Bob's right. All of those bands swung, very nicely.

Elvis

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 7,181 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

I always like the Zombies' drummer--can't remember his name.

Ron,

You're thinking of the great Hugh Grundy.
That "Time of the Season" beat always did give me fits. :oops:

Elvis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users