• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

jonesy

jonesy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationEngland
Great drumming and it just makes me laugh, what a showman.

So jealous of my Dad (who was a real Mod in the late 50s/early 60s) who used to see the Who at the Trade Union hall in Watford and have a drink with them in the interval in the early 60s. He says he wasn't overly impressed (he was even less impressed by the Beatles who he also saw before they were famous!) and prefered Georgie Fame and The Spencer Davis Group.
He also went to all the England games at the 1966 World Cup! :twisted:

curotto

curotto

DFO Potentate

• Double Platinum
  • 3,689 posts
  • LocationS. F. Bay Area
This is just my opinion, as last time I looked, Moonie has sold more records than I have...but I think he's jive and I never did like his drumming...to me the greatest Rock drummer doesn't have to be the greatest showman and so my vote goes to John Bonham.

Mike Curotto

Edited by curotto, 20 September 2011 - 08:10 PM.

evilw

evilw

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Locationcalifornia
I'm a geezer of 55 who spent every dime he had to see every concert that came through town from around 1968-1985.
I've seen Bonham,Baker,Mitchell,Gordon,Bruford,Aldridge and Moon. When Moonie hit the stage and the lights came on, it was like sticking your finger in an open socket! The Who with Moon on the drums was sheer electricity!
A few years ago, my teen-aged son convinced me to go with him to see a new band that had a drummer whom he KNEW I would like. Being the curmudgeon I am, I scoffed and reluctantly listened to a few tracks to appease the kid. I told him that nobody could play that fast and clean without the aid of "studio magic", but that if it would make him happy I would go to the concert.
The first thing I noticed was that I was THE ONLY one in attendance with gray hair!
Then the band hit the stage. The had a strange name "Avenged Seven Fold" and their drummer was simply called "The Rev".
About two bars into the first song, my mouth fell open and stayed in that position for the entire set. This drummer had it all: time, technique, taste and style. There was NO studio magic goin on, he was really that good. My son looked at me with trepidation as I gave him the thumbs up.
After the show I thanked my kid (guitarist ... figures), for renewing my faith in young drummers and turning me on to such a talent (I would still never listen to their music).
I hadn't seen such energy since The Who with Moon. Sadly, as many know "The Rev" passed away far too young (like Moonie) in late 2009.
If you have a few minutes and are not familiar with his "work" ... check it out:

-EW

Edited by evilw, 20 September 2011 - 07:26 PM.

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 5,345 posts
  • LocationStL
Zoltan Chaney!

evilw

evilw

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Zoltan Chaney!

Interesting, I had never heard of him ...thanks.
-EW

happyshump

happyshump

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
my vote goes to John Bonham.

Yup...

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,938 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina
I love moonie, But I'm going to have to say John Henry Bonham!!! :notworthy:

Edited by vintagemore2000, 21 September 2011 - 10:28 AM.

jonesy

jonesy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationEngland

Zoltan Chaney!

Interesting, I had never heard of him ...thanks.
-EW

Me neither, I enjoyed watching that (didn't really like the music though) is he made out of rubber?!

jonesy

jonesy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationEngland

I love monnie, But I'm going to have to say John Henry Bonham!!! :notworthy:

I can appreciate Bonham (I can't stand Plant's voice though :oops: ) but I just love Moon's humour and charm!

zutty

zutty

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Zoltan Chaney!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtRAx4hEpnA

Was more entertaining before I turned on the sound.

the_dude

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationRenton WA
Tommy Lee (not really into his music though)
Myron Grombacher (sp?)
Dino Danelli

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 5,345 posts
  • LocationStL

Zoltan Chaney!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtRAx4hEpnA

Was more entertaining before I turned on the sound.

Yeah, it seems most if not all of his videos were taken with phones or cheap recorders ... no doubt the volume is loud enough to constantly clip, but he looks like he's having a ball, no matter what. I'm not much of a fan of what they're doing, but he's a trip.

tamadrm

tamadrm

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,898 posts
  • Locationstaten island ,ny usa
Dino Danelli,Johnny Barbata,Carmine Appice,John Bonham,Keith Moon.And although not a rock drummer but a great drummer and showman Gene Krupa,and JoJo Mayer does some pretty mean stick tricks.

Steve B

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,395 posts
  • LocationCanada
Bonham

6topher

6topher

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD.
Where some see & hear "flailing" or showmanship I hear pure intuitive musicianship (the best kind) and complimentary melody played on the drums - he's famous for the wrong things and I am always disappointed to see real drummers not hear it.

Easily the best Rock Drummer ever IMO -

How anyone could watch the video below (once the cameraman realizes Roger is not where the real s**t is happening -1:09) and not see the perfect creative musicianship, the joy, the perfect compliment to the other 3 members parts & the rock in one package is beyond me.

None Better.

Edited by 6topher, 21 September 2011 - 09:15 PM.

Bongo Congo

Bongo Congo

• Members
  • 6,562 posts
The addition of the "showman" requirement severely limits the field ~ and my personal expertise ~ quite a bit. Most of the drummers I admire don't do any kind of "showman" thing. Tommy Lee impresses me a lot as a "showman". But, for just the pure joy of watching someone play the drums, he's no Krupa. :-D

I never thought of Moon as a "showman", either. Just a drumming "free spirit" and an amazing musician. I don't think he cared what people thought of his "show"....

As for Bonham? Great rock drummer, unique and iconic... but "showman"? Did he ever even twirl a stick? :mellow:

Edited by Bongo Congo, 21 September 2011 - 09:33 PM.

jonesy

jonesy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationEngland

Where some see & hear "flailing" or showmanship I hear pure intuitive musicianship (the best kind) and complimentary melody played on the drums - he's famous for the wrong things and I am always disappointed to see real drummers not hear it.

Easily the best Rock Drummer ever IMO -

How anyone could watch the video below (once the cameraman realizes Roger is not where the real s**t is happening -1:09) and not see the perfect creative musicianship, the joy, the perfect compliment to the other 3 members parts & the rock in one package is beyond me.

None Better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52_8KaL0j_8

Well said, Moon was a complete natural, he was like a little kid showing off and (like the rest of the Who) constantly fighting for attention, 'joy' is the word.

supershifter2

supershifter2

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.
i guess i'm the only one that never bought a led zeplin album or thought that much of John Bonham. i'm not into their music and dont care for Bonhams playing. there are a lot of drummers that i my opinion are way better then Bonham. its all a matter of opinion. i dont think too much of Travis Barker either. i do think Moon was a good drummer but there are others that are better but never got any recognition. its all a matter of opinion though.

Jimmy Willis

Jimmy Willis

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

This is just my opinion, as last time I looked, Moonie has sold more records than I have...but I think he's jive and I never did like his drumming...to me the greatest Rock drummer doesn't have to be the greatest showman and so my vote goes to John Bonham.

Mike Curotto

Amen Mike! I agree 100%. I read an article where John Entwistle said and I quote: it was such a breath of fresh air when Kenny Jones came into the band. He finally felt a groove!

Lorenzo1950

Lorenzo1950

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,536 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
Wouldn't Carl Palmer be considered the best "technical" drummer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users