• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Mart

Mart

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationTulsa Ok
Right now I still haven't decided on trying to save the wrap on my Downbeat project or to re-wrap them. A double tom mount was added and luckily it wasn't a butcher job. I was thinking of using dowels on the bolt holes and I have a donor shell for the large hole.

So my questions are: Are dowels ok and when patching the wrap what would be least obvious method to do so. My first thoughts are to use the double tom mount indentation in the wrap and the mount base as the template to cut the wrap..

Definitely with my experience with patching different materials that a square is always the most obvious..

retrosonic

retrosonic

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationNYC
Thats right. Make a circle patch. A circle patch is the least obvious. If you can match the existing wrap exactly, your patch will be pretty hard to see from 3 feet out. Thats the best you can hope for.

Another thing, what alot of guys do, is simply find a shiny metal plate, like one of the Gretsch tom tom mount plates, and put that over the holes. The plate simply looks like part of the hardware and no one ever thinks there are holes under it. Its fast, and easy.

I have even seen guys that took the plate to an engraver, and had something like "Expressly made for Tim Smith" or something engraved on the plate. This makes the plate look like it was intended to be there all along!!

Edited by retrosonic, 29 October 2011 - 07:42 AM.

thin shell

thin shell

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,993 posts
I have used a block of 3/4" maple and cut it to fit the hole so it fits to about the middle of the patch. Then marked it with top and bottom with a pencil. The push it back out and use a belt sander to sand it to the lines. The glue the wrap on the patch then glue it all back in. Then sand the inside of the patch to match the interior of the shell.

If the existing holes are not really smooth you will need to touch them up before you make the patch so it will have a tight joint.

Definitely do round patches for the individual holes.

Someone fixed up a drum on another forum and had a bunch of holes close together so he did a big square patch. It looked like crap and was very noticeable.

drumhead2069

drumhead2069

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationmodesto ca

Right now I still haven't decided on trying to save the wrap on my Downbeat project or to re-wrap them. A double tom mount was added and luckily it wasn't a butcher job. I was thinking of using dowels on the bolt holes and I have a donor shell for the large hole.

So my questions are: Are dowels ok and when patching the wrap what would be least obvious method to do so. My first thoughts are to use the double tom mount indentation in the wrap and the mount base as the template to cut the wrap..

Definitely with my experience with patching different materials that a square is always the most obvious..

If you sand your shells.Save the pulp from the shell, take wood glue and mix the pulp and you can make your own
wood filler. take masking tape over the whole. Take the wood filler you just made and fill the hole.Now it might take
a couple of times to build up.Let it cure for a few hours or day. Remove the tape and lightly sand to where it smooths
out and then you can re-wrap or dye. It will blend in because it came from the same wood ur shell is made of.
A little tip. Wood finishers do it all the time and it works well for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users