• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Fool in the rain

Fool in the rain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada
I have had this drum for close to 30 years. When I received it I had about 5 layers of paint. I proceeded to strip it (many years ago) and played it as you see it. I am now thinking of re-doing it to something close to what it may have been. Does anyone have any ideas on what the finish may have been?

Edited by Fool in the rain, 09 November 2011 - 05:29 PM.

MLayton

MLayton

Night Creature

• Double Platinum
  • 31,130 posts
great drum you have there. transition era drums are really nice. if it was originally painted,which they called duco, it could have been many different colors. it wasnt originally wrapped was it? to be quite honest, i think it looks great as is.

mike

Fool in the rain

Fool in the rain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

great drum you have there. transition era drums are really nice. if it was originally painted,which they called duco, it could have been many different colors. it wasnt originally wrapped was it? to be quite honest, i think it looks great as is.

mike

Thanks. I have tried to research this drum and have only been confused. It came in a set (that I don't have any more). This is the closest thing I can find to what it may have been originally.

MLayton

MLayton

Night Creature

• Double Platinum
  • 31,130 posts
if its an 8 lug and has the p83 strainer, then it is a jazz festival. they were shown in the transition era catalog as such. right before this,57, they were the barrett deems model.

mike

nad_reese

nad_reese

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationCowtown, O-High-O
Attached is a description of the Pioneer and Jazz Festival snares from the `59 catalog . . . Pioneers were not offered in wraps . . . only natural or lacquer (Duco) . . . Duco finishes were available in about any color or combination you could think of, do a seach here on the forum, on the Internet, and eBay to see some of them . . . that said, I agree with Mike . . . as nice as that shell is I would finish it natural . . . plenty of folks on here can give you some pointers . . .

But, is it a Pioneer or a Jazz festival . . . how many lugs . . . spacing in pix looks like 8 with a P-83 . . . transition Pioneers usually have a P-84 (see 2nd attacment) . . . if it is a Jazz it could be in one of the wrap finishes or a Duco . . . NAD B)

[attachment=115005:59LD-P04.JPG] [attachment=115006:59LD-P63.JPG] [attachment=115007:59LD-SWA.JPG]

Edited by nad_reese , 10 November 2011 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users