- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

fxp3

fxp3

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Locationchicago
I have a set of 90s Pearl 6ply,7.5mm maple shells that have aged nicely. Problem is, toms and bass were all drilled for Pearl's lame mounting system, (though I use rims now). Im gonna ditch the one piece lugs and was thinking about using Pearl's 2 masking brackets to cover the tom and bass drum holes. I love the wrap(black abalone) and sizes of the shells but am unsure of the sonic effect of the masking brackets on the shells. Would you guys bother with the old shells with the massive holes or start fresh with new ones?

fxp3

fxp3

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Locationchicago

I have a set of 90s Pearl 6ply,7.5mm maple shells that have aged nicely. Problem is, toms and bass were all drilled for Pearl's lame mounting system, (though I use rims now). Im gonna ditch the one piece lugs and was thinking about using Pearl's 2 masking brackets to cover the tom and bass drum holes. I love the wrap(black abalone) and sizes of the shells but am unsure of the sonic effect of the masking brackets on the shells. Would you guys bother with the old shells with the massive holes or start fresh with new ones?

fxp3

fxp3

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Locationchicago
I get that this is the vintage resto section of the forum but I am unsure of the skill level required to correctly mend these shells. The holes for the mounting system have always bugged me but they are traditional sizes as well as a gorgeous vintage look, BDP wrap which was pretty rare for Pearl.

atomicdave

atomicdave

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,052 posts
  • LocationDelphi, Indiana
90's Pearl? Those dont have enough years to be "aged". Putting plates over large mounting holes on 6 ply shells wont affect much of anything soundwise...best bet is to do nothing to the shells/lugs/mounting and save yourself the $.

fxp3

fxp3

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Locationchicago
Cool man, thanks. Theyre 20 yrs old so I guess "mellowed" would be the best way to describe the sonic maturation.
Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users