- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
Here is the stuff I couldn’t say before……………

Popular UK music paper Melody Maker 29th January 1966 has an interesting item on page three ….
Posted Image

…and inside –
Posted Image

In the following week’s issue details of the competition are laid out.
5th February 1966

Posted Image

“On Sunday, March 20th 1966 at the Wimbledon Palais, the prize was presented to the winner of the 'Million Pound Drum Contest'. From an entry of 2,700, Carol Offord was selected to win Dave Clark's multi-hit-making Rogers drum kit. Carol nominated her friend John Tillett (rear right) to receive the prize. “

Posted Image

The observant might see that the bass drum hoops have a fresh coat of black paint. In the early 60s English drum makers painted their bass drum hoops silver. Bass drum hoops can take quite a battering and by 1966 the fashion was to paint these black, so the hoops had been thoughtfully repainted before being presented to Carol. Dave’s Swiv-o-matic stands and pedals have been replaced with the English Rogers catalogue cheaper option of Ajax stands and pedals.
This is the link from Radio London’s site that first put me onto this (courtesy of John Briggs).

http://www.radiolond...llionpound.html

Forty-four years later and John Tillett and Carol are a couple, and John still had the drums.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I could not share this part of the story on my initial thread ……….

http://www.drumforum...__1#entry401861

……… because Radio London’s link generously tells the world that the drums are kept in John’s garage, and as I didn’t find it too hard to locate John, someone with less innocent intentions may not have much trouble either. This is no longer an issue as the drums are now safe in a warehouse belonging to an auction house, and will be up for sale later this year – more of that later.
After one of my posts, a member on here emailed DC to tell him his drums had turned up, and his reaction was that these were “not his drums!” This spooked me a little. Not because I have any doubt that these drums are original but because this statement could affect John’s sale.
DC would not have been any more aware of the forgoing than anyone else, and could in his busy career have forgotten what he did with this set. The competition was clearly run with a prize which was stated as, “Dave Clark's multi-hit-making Rogers drum kit”, and perhaps not in the best English, “the one of which he recorded “Glad All Over” and “Bits and Pieces”. Provenance surely doesn’t come any clearer than this, but just for the record I have gone over some of details of this kit again, this time with more detail and photos. I wanted to document that this is not just any drum kit that DC gave away, but the kit that he had been appearing with in Europe for the previous two to three years.
I have written an extended piece which is on Not So Modern Drummer’s website …………………………
http://notsomoderndr...lark-drums.html

And the sale ………………….
http://www.bonhams.c...19037/lot/214/#

Edited by Nutbox, 01 December 2011 - 03:14 PM.

Crud

Crud

Associate in Charge of Something

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA
What an interesting story, that they still have the drums etc. A trip that DC disavowed them, though. Has me thinking all kinds of conspiracy theories.

evilw

evilw

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Locationcalifornia
Fantastic Story!
I LOVE those drums.

In the 1980s I was working on a session at Warner Bros when an English producer insisted that D.C. had not played on any of the sessions and that it had been Bobby Graham.
What do you think of this claim?

-EW

Edited by evilw, 01 December 2011 - 04:48 PM.

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.

What an interesting story, that they still have the drums etc. A trip that DC disavowed them, though. Has me thinking all kinds of conspiracy theories.

I prefer to believe that if/when DC ever saw this post and the photos he would simply recall the event.

In the 1980s I was working on a session at Warner Bros when an English producer insisted that D.C. had not played on any of the sessions and that it had been Bobby Graham.

-EW

I appears to be a widely held belief. If I know about anything it is just English Rogers drums, so I wouldn't know. However, having watched a few videos of DC playing/miming he would seem to me to have sufficient skills for those early recordings.

Edited by Nutbox, 01 December 2011 - 05:36 PM.

Rogersoholic

Rogersoholic

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,717 posts
  • LocationDrumFox.com
Glad to see that this debate has been put to rest. Way cool read. Nutbox.. great research. The pic of them with the set and Dave Clarks drummer is clearly provenance. Nobody I know has a greater knowledge about these English version drums than Nutbox. Thanks again for the post

p83

p83

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,478 posts
  • Locationtacoma,wa,usa

Fantastic Story!
I LOVE those drums.

-EW

bobby graham (the british hal blaine) just passed away last year. he firmly stated until the end that he played on all the big dc5 records. dave clark maintains that he himself played on those records. who is to decide when the experts disagree??

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,496 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
My cousin Bill is a drummer now retired in his mid 60's and lives in South Wales. When he was a teen he toured around the Mersey on the same bill as the Beatles, Stones and DC5 and so on. He played Premier drums when a back-line was not provided. He likes my collection of USA Ludwig and Rogers drums. We have never met in person but we do correspond via email.

He sold these sets of 1963 Autographs several years ago when he needed money:
[attachment=116864:Beatles autographes 1963.JPG] [attachment=116865:Rolling Stones 1963.JPG]

Archt

Archt

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationCape Cod, MA
Great detective work. Very interesting!

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,925 posts
  • LocationOregon
Nut Box, your due diligence has paid Off. I remember your early postings about this drum set, and how you met the owner and took pictures. Good on ya. It's very fulfilling to read the result.

davezedlee

davezedlee

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 949 posts
  • LocationToronto
Very cool, indeed.

retrosonic

retrosonic

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationNYC
That would be a great set to own, just for its Musical History. That set was used on all the big TV shows that the DC5 appeared on, from Ed Sullivan to Shindig.

ludwignut

ludwignut

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationBoston,Mass.
Did this kit ever get sold or was it pulled for good?

Rob

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,925 posts
  • LocationOregon
Nut Box bought the drum set from the owner. He has posted information about it and restoration of the bass drum on the Rogers Owners Forum site. Pretty amazing story that comes with a happy ending.

Dave Clark's Rogers Drum Set

Bass Drum Restoration

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
I'll post an update!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users