Go get 'em Flossie!!

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx
http://www.jamminjer...om/d_orphan.php Anyone ever order from these guys?

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx

Go get 'em Flossie!!

LOL

Thud

Thud

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationRI
Have you considered mixing colors? If you made a mix of Amber and Blue (which can be found very inexpensively) it could look quite cool as they are complimentary colors. I thought of this as I saw a Blue 13" just close at only $107 + 14 shipping. I was tempted to grab it, but it wouldn't mix well with my Smoke kit.

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx

Have you considered mixing colors? If you made a mix of Amber and Blue (which can be found very inexpensively) it could look quite cool as they are complimentary colors. I thought of this as I saw a Blue 13" just close at only $107 + 14 shipping. I was tempted to grab it, but it wouldn't mix well with my Smoke kit.

I might..... try the clear... but IDK... I would like for them to match :( but that is something to think about

Thud

Thud

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationRI
Hah! This person thought of this long before I did. Google Image Search is an amazing tool.
http://www2u.biglobe...g/mydrumset.jpg

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx
Hey now that's actually not bad :)

Thud

Thud

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationRI
You can't go wrong with complimentary colors. Reg/Green, Orange/Blue, Yellow/Purple. Of course you can't do the Yellow/Purple combo with Ludwig, but you can with RCI. I had them make me a custom snare for my vintage Lifesavers Vistalites. It came out great. You could actually have them cut you a shell if your desperate for an amber tom. That's what I had them do for me. They made the shell and drilled the holes to Ludwig specs and I just provided the hardware.
This is a lousy photo of how it came out, but you get the idea.

Edited by Thud, 12 February 2012 - 12:00 AM.

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx
OH man I love that!! :shock:

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx
that would wind up costing me a lot more wouldn't it? My floor tom and kick both have the bottom lugs so I was thinking if I just had ONE tom with a reso head my kit would have a little bit more of a modern sound... I just added pics of my kit to my gallery. If you look at my vistalites you'll know what I'm talking about :)

Thud

Thud

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationRI
Ah yes, very Karen Carpenter. Awesome. You could definitely have your 13" or 14" converted by getting some holes drilled for a bottom head. Then you can sit it on a snare stand, otherwise you would probably want to get a regular Ludwig tom mount assembly with the round hole and nut instead of the flat 'hook' system your drums currently use.

My drum ended up costing me close to $400 including hardware, because I went through Precision Drums to buy the shell (my wife bought me a gift certificate with them for my birthday, and I had to use it up) so the shell cost me around $280 in the 3 colors. But a straight one color buying direct would probably be less than $200, be brand new and and have a warranty.

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx

Ah yes, very Karen Carpenter. Awesome. You could definitely have your 13" or 14" converted by getting some holes drilled for a bottom head. Then you can sit it on a snare stand, otherwise you would probably want to get a regular Ludwig tom mount assembly with the round hole and nut instead of the flat 'hook' system your drums currently use.

My drum ended up costing me close to $400 including hardware, because I went through Precision Drums to buy the shell (my wife bought me a gift certificate with them for my birthday, and I had to use it up) so the shell cost me around $280 in the 3 colors. But a straight one color buying direct would probably be less than $200, be brand new and and have a warranty.

Wouldn't that devalue my kit? Sorry i'm full of questions! LOL... I should know more about drums other than how to play them! LOL oh and I Love Karen Carpenter :) The Lady that gave me these has a set of blue ones also ( more toms ) but they are all concert toms as well and I think the floor and kick are without the 2nd head if I remember right...

Thud

Thud

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationRI
Karen was fantastic. I love the clip where she's running around the stage playing all the different kits!
Now, on one hand, yes, modifying your kit will devalue that drum and if you want to sell your drums as a complete kit, it will hurt the overall value. On the other hand, if you do decide to sell it, you will make just as much, if not more, parting it out. We here on DFO don't like to hear this kind of talk, but it is a fact of life.

I still like my find cheap blue drums idea.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 18,360 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Hard to say if adding bottom heads would devalue your kit or not. Maybe if concert toms make a comeback but otherwise your set would probably be more desirable (and therefore have more value) with bottom heads on those toms. Generally speaking it's best not to modify vintage drums...but that only really applies to drums that have a lot of value to begin with...and concert toms (and marching drums for another example) don't typically fall into that group.

Besides, if it were done right, it would be tough for anyone to tell that it wasn't factory (other than having the "wrong" mounting bracket on it).

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx

Karen was fantastic. I love the clip where she's running around the stage playing all the different kits!
Now, on one hand, yes, modifying your kit will devalue that drum and if you want to sell your drums as a complete kit, it will hurt the overall value. On the other hand, if you do decide to sell it, you will make just as much, if not more, parting it out. We here on DFO don't like to hear this kind of talk, but it is a fact of life.

I still like my find cheap blue drums idea.

!
It is indeed a good Idea but I'm a little OCD about matching things sometimes... LOL! I did however find the blue and clear ones 100.00 cheaper than what I paid for the amber tom. I found a 13" amber tom for 200 + 40 shipping on another site... which is better than what I paid for the one i'm sending back. The actual description says no cracks, spiderwebbing or fixes...etc...

Thud

Thud

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationRI
Well. There ya go!

PaiceFan

PaiceFan

• Members
  • 405 posts
Just for your info Flossie a brand new 8"x12" vistalite tom would be about $379 and from what I understand the new ones are much better made. Much more durable and resistant to cracking. http://www.justdrums...assic-lugs.aspx

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx

Just for your info Flossie a brand new 8"x12" vistalite tom would be about $379 and from what I understand the new ones are much better made. Much more durable and resistant to cracking. http://www.justdrums...assic-lugs.aspx

Thanks you! I've decided I may just get my money back and keep on working on my kit until I have some extra spending cash or a great deal comes along

Troyh

Troyh

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 5,417 posts
  • LocationHills of Southern Indiana, Nutopia
Flossie,
I'm sure another will turn up. I echo the sentiments written by our drum brothers and sisters above. If you still haven't found one by the time of the Chicago show, let me know and I will be happy to search there. Better yet, come to the Chicago show. It's a lot of fun!

Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Tx
what is this Chicago show you speak of? LOL... probably something I should know about!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users