• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 10,226 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
Ok guys, skip to the end if you must, but here's the story.

I asked my local shop (Drums, Etc.) if they would be getting any of the Club Date SE kits in for stock. My guy at the shop (Shawn) wasn't sure but offered to check into it. He called me today to say that a kit had come in and that he had just finished setting them up if I wanted to check them out.

Fortuitously, I was planning to stop by today anyway. I did have all three of my kids with me (5, 3, and 1 year olds) - but they are good kids. ;) The kit was on display very near the front door, a Downbeat setup with matching snare (20/12/14/14). Olive sparkle wrap. The first thing I did was ask for sticks to check them out. I wanted to hear them without looking too hard first - I knew that if I liked the sound I should decide about the look, but didn't want the good looks of a kit to make me think it sounds better than reality.

My salesman had tuned them up and jazzy, and I had the opportunity to really lay into the toms and bass drum - and I was very, VERY pleased. I knew I'd probably like them, but they sounded better than I expected even with the stock heads (which say Ludwig by Evans on them). Very warm and round toms, a nice solid bass tone, and even the snare drum sounded good. I like the mojo of having a matching snare, but honestly with a kit like this I would never use it since I have other great options.

I said "it's a good thing these aren't ruby sparkle or I'd be taking them home." But you know how that goes...we talked price and he offered to get me the ruby drums...and I paid for the order. I don't have the opportunity to see the ruby before ordering, but I do have the option to switch once it arrives if I decide I like the olive better. The only reason I didn't take the olive was because I already have a green sparkle kit (Slingerland). By no means does it look the same, but still I think I'd rather have the red. The badges are actually really cool because they are in such a muted bronze color. If they were shiny brass I'd probably hate them. And I almost forgot to mention the Ludwig Classic brackets for floor tom legs and bass spurs. Excellent - they really make the kit seem like a USA kit, even though I know it's not. Shawn says he was very impressed with the quality of the whole kit while he was assembling it - I told him to leave mine in boxes so I can inspect closely as I build it.

Below are a couple of pictures - from my phone, so excuse any bad quality. One of the whole kit and one close up on the floor tom. I LOVE the black background, which with the lighter green flakes almost looks like galaxy sparkle. The black is slightly sparkly too which gives the whole thing depth. I am hoping the ruby red sparkle uses bright red flakes on the black background because I think that will look excellent. If they are burgundy flakes, I may just go back to the olive kit.

And before I finish this post, I have to give TWO BIG THUMBS UP to Drums, Etc. and my guy Shawn. He gave me a better price than I have heard of on these - and I've looked. Even with tax it was less than the best I had found. These guys ship, so feel free to call Shawn and tell him I sent you if you're interested in buying a set of these!

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,172 posts
The olive sparkle looks sweet

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,387 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Very cool, Those sparkles look much better than that GC exclusive wrap. If I didn't have my mod orange elements I might start saving up...heck I still might.

ludwig402

ludwig402

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNJ
Wanted a set of Classic Maples, but recently discovered (today) that the Club Date comes
in different size configurations. Was planning on asking forum members their opinion of
the kit. Thanks for the review.
Good luck with your new purchase!

Stixnergard2

Stixnergard2

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,834 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY
Jeremy,
Thanks for the review, looks like a winner!

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 26,066 posts
thanks for the fine review jeremy. thas exciting. i would have had to walk away with those. but i understand your thinking. i really love the wrap. hope the ruby does it for you as well. congrats....

mike

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,618 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA
Cool story and Congrats! :occasion5:
I have a trip to Dale's planned for April and will certainly check them out. I like the Olive and Ruby finishes.

wcbrown

wcbrown

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  • Locationnew castle, pa

And before I finish this post, I have to give TWO BIG THUMBS UP to Drums, Etc. and my guy Shawn. He gave me a better price than I have heard of on these - and I've looked. Even with tax it was less than the best I had found. These guys ship, so feel free to call Shawn and tell him I sent you if you're interested in buying a set of these!

nice review!! great description jeremy
another thumbs up for Drums Etc.. they're who i ordered my classic maple floor tom through. good people! the list price on the website was listed lower than it should have been (outdated or missed update) but they honored that price and admitted the error. refreshing, they really didn't have to do that. again, great shop highly recommended.

Snaffoo

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon

• Members
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Great review Jeremy, I'm all lathered up to hear these things now!

How long did the sales guy say till they arrive?

Scott

shuffle

shuffle

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,377 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe
I'm partial to thr ruby red as well.
Congrats,Jeremy!
And congrats for having well-behaved children! Posted Image
That's something nowadays!

Edited by shuffle, 11 March 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Drumstyx7a

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO

• Members
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationGreenville, Texas, United States
Not sure which finish mine are coming in ....But they are coming through a line rep's sample account and they will have to spend some time out on the road as demos after we get them assembled and tuned up.

Not worried about that though as the rep is a great friend and will take excellent care of them .....will also help bring the price down a bunch when he finishes the "tour!"

Robb

garysym

garysym

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • LocationFoothills of Sacramento, CA
Nice one! The inlay hoops on the kick look really nice.

Question: My very first kit in 1968 was a Club Date-- would they have been the same cherry/gumwood shells that yours are today?

Snooter

Snooter

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationAurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
Nice set Jeremy. I really like that green olive color. It looks much better than the GC bowling ball wrap

shuffle

shuffle

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,377 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe

Nice one! The inlay hoops on the kick look really nice.

Question: My very first kit in 1968 was a Club Date-- would they have been the same cherry/gumwood shells that yours are today?

gary,the 68's are either mahogany/poplar or maple/poplar/maple,not cherry/gumwood like the new ones.
i own a early 70's w/ maple/poplar.
If you have clear interiors you can see the maple.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,387 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Question: My very first kit in 1968 was a Club Date-- would they have been the same cherry/gumwood shells that yours are today?[/size][/font]

Club Dates had the same shells as all the other Ludwigs of the day...a shell off the stack could have become either a Super Classic or a Club Date right up until the time the lug holes were drilled into it.

Marc M

Marc M

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,213 posts
  • Locationatlanta ga
Thanks for the review,that is really a nice looking kit,I dig the cherry hoops personally.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,756 posts
  • LocationSingapore, Singapore
Congrats to DanRH Jr! Looks like it will be a very fun kit.

Archt

Archt

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationCape Cod, MA
Iike everything about them but i really don't like the badges.....I guess that's really shallow but IMO they make them look cheap.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,337 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Iike everything about them but i really don't like the badges.....I guess that's really shallow but IMO they make them look cheap.

I don't think they look cheap but I also not sure I like the badges otherwise they're a doorbell!

Billster

Billster

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 744 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan
Are the new Club Dates American made?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users