• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

PBaz

PBaz

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon
We got a set of Mapex Saturn drums at our store a little while back. We noticed that the floor tom brackets stick out quite far, and won't fit into a standard Protechtor case without taking off the wing nuts. Does anyone know of a particular case that might work, or any possible solution to this?

P.S: Some people have suggested ordering a case in a size bigger than the tom. For the kit that I ordered for myself, this doesn't work, since my toms are 12x14 and 14x16. A larger size would mean a deeper case, which I don't find all that appealing. I could line the top and bottom of the cases with foam or something, but I also drive a Focus, so any space saved is precious.

Matt Middleton

Matt Middleton

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationOhio
I just ordered one size larger and deal with it. It's possible the Protection racket bags made for oversize (w/RIMS) mounts might work.

PBaz

PBaz

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon
I'm not opposed to the Protection Racket bags, (in fact I prefer them) but I'm also thinking of any potential customers who might insist on a hard case.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,226 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I found that my Element SE drums, which also have leg brackets that stick way out, will fit in Hardcase brand cases. They seem to be a bit more oversized than SKB, Enduro, or Protechtor, none of which would hold my Element floor toms due to the keystone brackets.

Edited by K.O., 20 March 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Lee

Lee

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,544 posts
I had that problem with my 16x16 DW Collectors series floor tom. The wingnuts stick out too far, and wouldn't allow the tom to fit in an Air-Elite case. I bought a 16" SKB and it fits fine.

What is really strange is the 18x16 DW floor fits in the Air Elite case fine, as does the 14" and 12" toms respectively in their cases .

My Sonor floors (a 16 and an 18) fit in the Air Elites just fine, but they don't have the protuberance issue the DWs do.

Things that make me go "hmmmm........."

Edited by Lee, 20 March 2012 - 08:18 PM.

trixonian

trixonian

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationIndiana
I bought "Ahead Armor Cases" (which are bags) for my Saturn kit. They have nice padding, a fleece lining and the zipper for the lid goes all the way down the side which makes it even easier to put the drum in. They are slightly teardrop shaped to easily accommodate a RIMS mount or other single bracket that sticks out.

For the bass and floor toms that have multiple protruding brackets, I went ahead and ordered larger sizes. I didn't want to risk them not fitting. Since I have 14" and 16" floor toms I bought a 16" and 18" bags. Once I received the bags, I found out the 16" tom does fit in the 16 bag. It was not hard to get in the bag, especially due to the zip-down sides of the bag. But once zipped up it was snug and over time might strain on the zipper. Being they are bags I don't regret getting the bigger sizes since they are that much easier to put the drums into and the extra size doesn't hinder packing as much as an inflexible hard case.

You don't mention the bass drum. But my 22" even without a tom mount (which is huge if you have one) would not fit in any of the 22" hard or soft cases that I have around. Since I did't buy two sizes of bass drum bags, I can't say whether the drum would have fit into the 22" bag.

Edited by trixonian, 21 March 2012 - 08:16 AM.

mgdrummer

mgdrummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, IL
Beato will make bags one inch bigger to accommodate odd hardware configurations. I have 8x11 and 8x13 for my 8x10 and 8x12 toms.

However, I bought a 12x14 Pro 1 bag specifically designated as a "floor tom" bag and it fits my Tempus floor tom w/Tama Starclassic brackets. The same drum would NOT fit in my 13x14 Cudura bag which was meant for a mounted tom.

Mike

PBaz

PBaz

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon

I bought "Ahead Armor Cases" (which are bags) for my Saturn kit. They have nice padding, a fleece lining and the zipper for the lid goes all the way down the side which makes it even easier to put the drum in. They are slightly teardrop shaped to easily accommodate a RIMS mount or other single bracket that sticks out.

For the bass and floor toms that have multiple protruding brackets, I went ahead and ordered larger sizes. I didn't want to risk them not fitting. Since I have 14" and 16" floor toms I bought a 16" and 18" bags. Once I received the bags, I found out the 16" tom does fit in the 16 bag. It was not hard to get in the bag, especially due to the zip-down sides of the bag. But once zipped up it was snug and over time might strain on the zipper. Being they are bags I don't regret getting the bigger sizes since they are that much easier to put the drums into and the extra size doesn't hinder packing as much as an inflexible hard case.

You don't mention the bass drum. But my 22" even without a tom mount (which is huge if you have one) would not fit in any of the 22" hard or soft cases that I have around. Since I did't buy two sizes of bass drum bags, I can't say whether the drum would have fit into the 22" bag.

I didn't even consider the bass drum. I only noticed a problem with the floor toms. Although the tom mount on Saturn bass drums are huge, and I could see that being a potential issue. I ordered mine without a mount.

Ordering a size bigger could work, but my floor toms are also 2" shallower than the average floor tom. I've never seen a 12x16" case or a 14x18" case.

PBaz

PBaz

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon

Beato will make bags one inch bigger to accommodate odd hardware configurations. I have 8x11 and 8x13 for my 8x10 and 8x12 toms.

However, I bought a 12x14 Pro 1 bag specifically designated as a "floor tom" bag and it fits my Tempus floor tom w/Tama Starclassic brackets. The same drum would NOT fit in my 13x14 Cudura bag which was meant for a mounted tom.

Mike

I'll look into Beato. Unfortunately we don't carry them where I work :P

TomN

TomN

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE
See this thread also:

http://www.drumforum...__1#entry623827

trixonian

trixonian

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I didn't even consider the bass drum. I only noticed a problem with the floor toms. Although the tom mount on Saturn bass drums are huge, and I could see that being a potential issue. I ordered mine without a mount.

Ordering a size bigger could work, but my floor toms are also 2" shallower than the average floor tom. I've never seen a 12x16" case or a 14x18" case.

Just to be clear, The problem with the bass fitting is because of suspension mount design causing the spurs to stick out. Since there are two rather than three, it may not be as critical as for the floor toms. I don't have the mount either, but that would only add to the issue.

My floor tom bags are deeper than they need to be, but to me it's not really a problem. I considered it a benefit that the bags will fit normal size floor toms. For hard cases I agree it would be worse, for not fitting easily into your car - as you mentioned. But if you're packing your drums in the car, hard cases are overkill. I never used cases at all when I carried my drums in the car, but I can understand not wanting to scratch your new kit!!!

Edited by trixonian, 22 March 2012 - 09:32 AM.

PBaz

PBaz

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon
Yeah, the cases for my car right now are overkill, but I'm also thinking down the line when my band has a bigger vehicle to put all our gear in. I suppose I could always make up the difference in depth with some extra padding if need be.

Also, I should probably work out the part where I'm getting gigs before worrying about how I'm going to get my drums there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users