- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

OptikDrums

OptikDrums

• Members
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI
Nice grab here. Picked up a Rogers Wonderbar. Never thought i'd get my hands on one, but alas!

Eventually this will make it over to a Scottie Plaid kit that i have in the works right now. Strange thing about this one is the lack of pat pending stamps on the knobbys.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,335 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
Nice Find! :occasion5:

pan60

pan60

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,451 posts
congrats!
:occasion5:

OptikDrums

OptikDrums

• Members
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI
thanks guys!

GrandpaCleve

GrandpaCleve

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 859 posts
My guess is that it is a later one. The Wonderbars that are in the catalogs and ones I've seen have the early 2 way knobby as well. No pat pend and one way knobby I'd say later era Rogers. The Wonderbar was introduced with the intro to Swivomatic 58 and shortly discont. after 2 catalog offerings. Hens teeth. As well as the proper parts for them. See 59R and 60R.

I lucked out on this pedal. Didn't see it in the pics but it should of had a wing screw. This one had a Wonderbar top screw that they sold sep. in the catalogs. Might of been using up the old screws and parts. I compared it to an existing original one and replaced the pedal with a very nice wing screw.

Great score Chris!

OptikDrums

OptikDrums

• Members
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

My guess is that it is a later one. The Wonderbars that are in the catalogs and ones I've seen have the early 2 way knobby as well. No pat pend and one way knobby I'd say later era Rogers. The Wonderbar was introduced with the intro to Swivomatic 58 and shortly discont. after 2 catalog offerings. Hens teeth. As well as the proper parts for them. See 59R and 60R.

I lucked out on this pedal. Didn't see it in the pics but it should of had a wing screw. This one had a Wonderbar top screw that they sold sep. in the catalogs. Might of been using up the old screws and parts. I compared it to an existing original one and replaced the pedal with a very nice wing screw.

Great score Chris!

Thanks Gary,

I guess i'm now confused a bit. The knobby's (from what i've seen) had the pat pending through the cleveland era into the dayton drums. Why would these knobby tops (on the wonderbar) have been treated any different?

Sweet pedal. If you run across another knobby top without the pat pending stamp, let me know! She is missing one.

blackonyx

blackonyx

• Double Platinum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLafayette, Indiana
Very nice. First one I've seen in rel life!

GrandpaCleve

GrandpaCleve

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 859 posts
Chris, Thanks re the pedal it has the same sides as the first Rogers pedal from NJ.

No need to be confused. In the early Swivo stuff through most of it into the 60s there was a lot of pat pend on many pieces. I had a cap like that-blank top and passed it along last year. I think the buyer was re selling it on feebay or trying to so keep your eyes out. They used up all the parts on other things and experimented a lot.

This little acces. attachment I still don't know what it does-but the shadows in the chrome help tell me what was there. I like the set pin into the back of the knobby so it won't spin. Think Joe was messin round. Inventor of the Wonderbar! But that wonderbar was never patented for no long term run for Rogers. Do regular pat pend ones sit flush around the outside circle when capped? If so swap em out for the pat pend ones...esp. if the bar itself isn't stamped ROGERS. Just some thoughts...

Edited by GrandpaCleve, 26 March 2012 - 09:15 PM.

Michael C

Michael C

• Double Platinum
  • 292 posts
  • LocationBerkeley, CA
Nice score Chris, a first for me!
Michael

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,333 posts
  • LocationCanada
I learn something new everyday here, I didn't even know these existed.

DanC

DanC

Lord Vader, the drums are aboard and your cruiser awaits.

• Members
  • 11,189 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Rogers may have made some machined knobby caps without the Pat Pend on them, but from 1972 or so when the knobbies went to cast Zamac from the 2-piece steel units, the caps were cast as well and were plain.
However, the caps on your unit are steel not cast and look new. They are probably the machined steel repros that are on eBay from time to time.

Powertone

Powertone

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationCovington/Dayton, Ohio
Congratulations Chris. Another great addition to your rapidly growing collection. That wonderbar will be perfecto on the scottie Holiday bass drum.

Edited by Powertone, 27 March 2012 - 05:42 AM.

W&A Player

W&A Player

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,688 posts
  • LocationTexas
There is no pat pend mark on this Knobby part.

KINGTRIXON

KINGTRIXON

• Members
  • 447 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland
Hi Chris, that wonderbar looks amazing on that bass drum of yours. The fellow that I bought that piece from told me that the knobby caps were purchased from Dave Drew, they are reproduction pieces.

Grandpacleve, that knobby attachment is the upper portion of a Rogers model 205R cocktail bass drum pedal attachment.

dave drew

dave drew

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • Locationwoonsocket .r.i. 401 769 3552
hello rich? hope all is well ??

we do not repro the caps ? someone on ebay had or has them and they are very nice indeed

we do repro the dynasonic frames-- the collet noses - and 3 different size set screws for tom holders- cymbal tilters and floor tom knobby units

aldrewmusic@aol.com
401 769 3552

dave drew

KINGTRIXON

KINGTRIXON

• Members
  • 447 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland
Thanks Dave

GrandpaCleve

GrandpaCleve

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 859 posts
Rich, I thank you for cocktail pedal piece answer. It made me dig out my pdp one to compare. Nothing like it. Still guessin...unless the parts changed over the years?

Thanks for that last pic too. It shows the middle wonderbar pull screw that I saved from that Champ pedal. Gary

Edited by GrandpaCleve, 27 March 2012 - 09:30 AM.

SwivoNut

SwivoNut

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,223 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Strange thing about this one is the lack of pat pending stamps on the knobbys.

Interesting. I never ran across a two-piece Knobby without a Pat Pending stamp, and that includes all the Top Hat dual tom holders I've seen.

Edited by SwivoNut, 27 March 2012 - 09:42 AM.

Rogersoholic

Rogersoholic

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,680 posts
  • LocationDrumFox.com
Nice score... I have seen the knobbies without the pat pend and believe they are knock offs, non chrome plated, prolly stainless.

Ron_M

Ron_M

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 974 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT

Very nice. First one I've seen in rel life!

BO, even though at times it seems like it, this isn't real life; it's interweb life ;) (sorry, couldn't resist)

Very cool piece of history!

Edited by Ron_M, 27 March 2012 - 11:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users