36 replies to this topic

tripp2k

tripp2k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDFW
I own a 22 K Ride that gets out of control (wash) and I'm seeking suggestions on its replacement. I previously had the 20 K Ride and it was a bit closer to what I was after. Not sure if a Heavy K might be in the cards. Really trying to atay away from a "tinny" sound. Mainly play rock and pop. For some reason I like the larger rides but understand that size is a contributing factor. I don't plan to crash this thing at all. Ride and bell only.

What suggestions might you guys have in the zildjian family? Thanks in advance. :occasion5:

supershifter2

supershifter2

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,091 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.
i like my paiste 2002 22" rides. depending on how i play them i can get good stick definition , lots of sustain(wash) , or both. imo the paiste 22" 2002 is the best all around ride cymbal. i also have paiste 2002 20" rides in my kit i use as crashes and rides and i have a 2002 24" ride. i have owned a 2002 22" power ride and a 22" zildjain ride. bujt the 22" 2002 is my favorite.

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 13,041 posts
  • LocationRed River
Have you tried a 20" K. Custom Dry ride?
Plenty of definition & bell there, hardly any wash.

cearleywine

cearleywine

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationLawrence KS
I use a K custom dry light as my main ride. I love it for jazz but it doesn't project much in loud rock situations. You may dig the earth ride if you're not crashing it.

csnow

csnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Paiste 22 Blue Bell. I tried four or five different rides before I got this one. I can say this is the one that will have a permanent spot on my kit.

Basil

Basil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Why not put tape underneath your 22" K to control the wash? As is, the regular K is pretty pingy compared to others in the K / K custom line (at least the modern version) - I actually traded mine for a lighter ride because I wanted more wash

marko138

marko138

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA
I really enjoy the sound of my 20" A Custom ping ride. No wash to it.

paul

paul

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • LocationLewisville, TX
I really like my 22" K Custom ride. It has good definition, with some spread, but the wash never builds up regardless of how hard I play it. It also has a killer bell.

For more ping I'd suggest a 21" K Heavy or a 21" A Rock Ride. Both are pingier than the K Custom, with good tone and cut and little wash. I've owned both, and the K is a little darker sounding than the A, but both work very well in a rock setting. Both cymbals will ring for a long time if left alone, but the sound doesn't build up at all. It just adds complexity.

The singer of my rock band keeps a set of drums at the house where we rehearse, and has a Sabian AA Raw Bell Dry Ride that also has a nice bell and lots of ping with little or no wash. Very nice cymbal for rock.

Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis
flat ride, all stick no wash but not much volume.

As mentioned try some tape on the underside to quell the wash overrun.

Edited by Mr. Sparkle, 18 April 2012 - 01:15 PM.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
My vote would be for the K Custom as well.

Jeff Shoup

Jeff Shoup

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationMid Michigan

+1 on the K Customs. Both the 20 and the 22 are great cymbals, and quite versatile.

tripp2k

tripp2k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDFW

I've tried a Sabian raw bell dry rde (sorry if I've used the wrong naming convention) and it was like hitting an aluminum 12" pie tin. Not sure if this is remotely like that. That cymbal flipped faster than any other.

I'll check out some sound samples. Thanks!

tripp2k

tripp2k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDFW

Why not put tape underneath your 22" K to control the wash? As is, the regular K is pretty pingy compared to others in the K / K custom line (at least the modern version) - I actually traded mine for a lighter ride because I wanted more wash

I'll try this before I give up. One thing I'd like more out of it is a crisp, bright stick. I'm using nylon tips BTW,

tripp2k

tripp2k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDFW

I really like my 22" K Custom ride. It has good definition, with some spread, but the wash never builds up regardless of how hard I play it. It also has a killer bell.

For more ping I'd suggest a 21" K Heavy or a 21" A Rock Ride. Both are pingier than the K Custom, with good tone and cut and little wash. I've owned both, and the K is a little darker sounding than the A, but both work very well in a rock setting. Both cymbals will ring for a long time if left alone, but the sound doesn't build up at all. It just adds complexity.

The singer of my rock band keeps a set of drums at the house where we rehearse, and has a Sabian AA Raw Bell Dry Ride that also has a nice bell and lots of ping with little or no wash. Very nice cymbal for rock.

I saw a 21 K Heavy on the bay and had my life distracted while the auction was ending (for a good cause I must add). The YouTube samples appeared promising. The As always seem to me to be heavy on the tin as if there is an awkward wash hidden underneath. I do love my New Beats that I picked up from a Forum member. (spell check adjustment)

Edited by tripp2k, 18 April 2012 - 11:03 PM.

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 13,041 posts
  • LocationRed River

I've tried a Sabian raw bell dry rde . That cymbal flipped faster than any other.

Same here, I've owned 2 of the Sabian Raw Bell Dry rides and couldn't ditch them fast enough.
The Zildjian K. Custom Dry rides are a different vibe though, and a much better sounding cymbal, IMO.

kip

kip

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa USA
I've got a 20 K Custom Dry
No wash
The definition of definition

Not my thing though. I havent used it since 1999 or so
I've been trying to sell or trade it for a bit

My fav ride is an old Zildjian A Deep ride
Clear sounding

Wish i could find another!

rhobere

rhobere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

I've tried a Sabian raw bell dry rde (sorry if I've used the wrong naming convention) and it was like hitting an aluminum 12" pie tin. Not sure if this is remotely like that. That cymbal flipped faster than any other.

I'll check out some sound samples. Thanks!

My favorite cymbal since the first time I heard it in 9th grade jazz band to the last time i played it on my set last night is my 20" k custom dry ride. These sound much better than the sabian raw bell dry ride and the look sick as well. As others have mentioned, they can be a little quiet so its a great addition to a cymbal collection, but I'd recommend getting it in addition to your current ride. I play mine along side a k custom hybrid ride.

BoxMonster13

BoxMonster13

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO
I have a 20" Zildjian K Heavy Ride that is great. It does have a decent amount of wash, but it's clear dark ping and amazing bell cut through anything. Check one out in person if you get the chance.

lamarrgroove

lamarrgroove

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorthern Connecticut

I own a 22 K Ride that gets out of control (wash) and I'm seeking suggestions on its replacement. I previously had the 20 K Ride and it was a bit closer to what I was after. Not sure if a Heavy K might be in the cards. Really trying to atay away from a "tinny" sound. Mainly play rock and pop. For some reason I like the larger rides but understand that size is a contributing factor. I don't plan to crash this thing at all. Ride and bell only.

What suggestions might you guys have in the zildjian family? Thanks in advance. :occasion5:

Hey Occasion5!
Every Zildjian I've ever had had too much "wash" when it was played. Especially when playing fast or loud. Personally. I love flat rides. I have five of them.
You can play as loud and as fast as you want, and you'll still get great stick definition. I mostly play Paiste but I also have a UFIP, Hammerax, Istanbul, and a Sabian.
If you can find an alternate to the bell you'll be all set. I think if you want volume the Hammerax might be best. As far as size, I don't use anything bigger than an 18 inch.
Bigger cymbals just take up too much room. I'm sure Zildjian makes a flat ride you would be happy with.

Bigsecret

Bigsecret

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 601 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, CA
Have you checked out the Armand 21" ride. For most things (except loud rock) the one I have is the ideal mix of wash and ping. I have a Sabian 21" Stage Ride that has the nicest ping and a shimmery wash (I know you said Zildjian but...)

But there will be others who have tried and disliked both of these leading to the conclusion that they are all a little different. Personally, I prefer 21" rides because they don't seem to build up like 22's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users