Photo

Possible to fix/stabilize cracked brass shell?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

schenkdrums

schenkdrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all,

I've got a Yamaha SD416 snare I'm trying to save from disaster. The one-piece, heavy brass shell has cracked in a few places - one crack even runs all the way from the top of the bearing edge to the concave center bead. The resale value of the snare's pretty much shot, but I know the model is a heck of a player and I'd hate to give up on the project. I've attached a picture of the same model just for reference purposes.

Can anyone recommend an effective fix/repair/stop-gap to the existing cracks? I own a number of much older brass snares, a dented-up COB Supra among them, but I've never seen anything like this before and I'm not sure where to start.

Any help will be incredibly appreciated!

thin shell

thin shell

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,993 posts
we would need to see pictures of the actual cracks to offer any advice.

retrosonic

retrosonic

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  • LocationNYC
If there are really several cracks and one big one I would abandon any repairs.

Edited by retrosonic, 20 May 2012 - 03:32 PM.

leftymcleft

leftymcleft

Mad Scientist

• Platinum
  • 1,779 posts
  • LocationFrisco, Texas, USA
It is possible that a welder could braise those cracks...muffler shops usually have a welder on staff, and they have the torches and such to do the job. probably cost $50 or so.
When I was welding, I would have welcomed a neat project like that.

schenkdrums

schenkdrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the cracks -- they seem like welding might stabilize them, though, and for 50 bucks I think it'd be worth the attempt. As any repair will make this thing look like Frankenstein, I've been thinking about stripping the clear coat and aging the brass with an ammonia bath to complement its welding scars

I'm local to some pretty good brass instrument repairmen who I'll also check with about welding repairs. Thanks all!

Edited by schenkdrums, 22 May 2012 - 09:57 PM.

schenkdrums

schenkdrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
double-post

Edited by schenkdrums, 22 May 2012 - 09:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users