• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

WernerAW

WernerAW

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany
Hello,
I have found this Pic in the Movie Help.
And i thought this must be a special Cymbal.
Look at this Kind of ring around the edge of this cymbal.
So what a kind of Cymbal is this?
I'm pretty sure somebody knows. :D
Thanks,
Alex

WernerAW

WernerAW

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany
here is the Picture.

GiantBeater

GiantBeater

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
20'' Avedis Zildjian crash/ride. This was his best cymbal set up- all of them look hand hammered 50's to me... maybe 40's trans stamp even, especially those amazing hi hats that he used from day 1 (after Please Please Me). That 18'' crash is THE one you hear on Help! all the way through the Rooftop, also amazing sounding.

GhostDrummer

GhostDrummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationMount Airy, North Carolina
I don't see anything special about it, looks just like any old A. Zildjian from the 60's. I think that ring you are talking about may just be from the lathing and the way the light is hitting it.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,472 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
At that time 1965-1966 Ringo was using only Avedis. In 1963-1964 it is thought that his 20" on his left side was possibly a Zyn.

supershifter2

supershifter2

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,917 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.
wow ! i havent heard the word ZYN since the 70's. i knew a few drummers that had ZYN cymbals.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,184 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don't see anything special about it, looks just like any old A. Zildjian from the 60's. I think that ring you are talking about may just be from the lathing and the way the light is hitting it.

Yes, His left cymbal (as viewed from the throne) had rivets and an odd profile that doesn't match up with any Zildjian I've ever seen but is right in line with the profile of various Zyn cymbals of the era. That makes sense since Zyns were made in England and sold by Premier. Ringo kept a few items from his Premier set (at least the throne and a cymbal stand) and quite possibly kept his original cymbals too.

He was still using that cymbal when they filmed A Hard Day's Night but eventually replaced it with a Zildjian which is what you see in the picture above.

Here's a frame grab from AHDN that shows the cymbal in question...the second picture shows Ringo's cymbal (middle)compared to a Zildjian (top) and a Zyn (bottom)

Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis
he also played Krut's very early on.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,184 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Taking another look at that picture from Help (which I never had seen as a still before) it does look like those might be older A. Zildjians. If I saw just the cymbal in question out of context I'd guess it was an early 50's A Zildjian.

Ringo isn't a "gear head" and doesn't appear to be too interested in discussing his equipment at any great length. It's also unclear how much he even remembers or cares about the details of the equipment he used. That is one reason that the information about his cymbals is so sketchy (particularly the ones he was using in the early days). You can glean quite a bit of information about his drums and hardware from photos but cymbals all look pretty much alike and i have yet to see a photo of Ringo's where you can read the stamp on one.

It is generally assumed that he bought his first Zildjian at Mannys on their first visit to NYC in 1964. It also appears that he kept using his sizzle cymbal (Which I believe was a Zyn...but some disagree) for at least a few more months since it turns up in AHDN. Although at some point, probably shortly thereafter, it appears he got another Zildjian.

In one of the few instances where Ringo did discuss his gear in an interview (in a fairly early issue of Modern Drummer) he says he loved "Old Avedis" cymbals. I never gave much thought to the "old" part of that statement but after seeing the photo you posted I'm wondering if there was more significance to that word than I first thought. Perhaps the Zildjians that Ringo snagged were in fact older used ones rather than brand spanking new. 50's Zildjians would have just been run of the mill used cymbals in 64/65. Maybe Ringo, despite not appearing all that outwardly concerned about his gear, went through a pile of cymbals at Mannys and picked out a vintage gem. No real way of knowing at the moment, perhaps someday someone will be granted access and be able to better sort out the story of Ringo's pies (I volunteer :icon_smile: ).

Funny thing is that by mid 1964 I'm sure Zildjian (or any other cymbal company) would have happily shipped Ringo an entire crate of their cymbals for free if only they could advertise that that's what he was playing, but generally none of the Beatles seem to have caught on to that fact. Outside of their deal with Vox and the occasional free guitars from Rickenbacker, they never really fully exploited their potential as far as scoring all of the free musical equipment that might have come their way if they had simply asked for it.

Edited by K.O., 09 June 2012 - 09:02 AM.

retired

retired

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • Locationupstate NY
Actually, the story I heard was that Mal Evans--one of their assistants and roadies--went to Manny's and picked out a whole bunch of Zildjian cymbals for Ringo, and then Ringo picked out the ones he liked from those. But who knows, it was a long time ago.

RonR

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,184 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Actually, the story I heard was that Mal Evans--one of their assistants and roadies--went to Manny's and picked out a whole bunch of Zildjian cymbals for Ringo, and then Ringo picked out the ones he liked from those. But who knows, it was a long time ago.

RonR

Yeah Mal seems to have been much more intimately involved with Ringo's Beatle drums (as far as the nuts and bolts aspects) than Ringo and it may well have been he who instigated such things as the Rogers swivo tom mounts being installed. Unfortunately he was shot dead by the L.A.P.D. back in the mid 70's so whatever information he could have shared with us today is long gone.

jazzmetal

jazzmetal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationBangkok
I see he's using a Premier flatbase cymbal stand, fits nicely under everything else and a moderne' design up the shaft, does anyone know where / if they can be had ?

Edited by jazzmetal, 11 June 2012 - 12:38 AM.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,184 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I see he's using a Premier flatbase cymbal stand, fits nicely under everything else and a moderne' design up the shaft, does anyone know where / if they can be had ?

Ebay is probably your best bet

gezz

gezz

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,462 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Scotland
The simplicity of this look is what i am so looking forward to with my Clubdates (now 2 weeks away).. I have 2 x DW flush based 6 seies stands waiting and will use just two cymbals with my new set.. a Zildjian 20" Medium Ride and a 17" or 18" Fast Crash.. and my new 13" New beats!!

Mackermanesq

Mackermanesq

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 664 posts
According to Keltner, who would know, he got Ringo's old hi hat cymbals, which were Paiste 602's. So not all Zildjians.

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 5,233 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.
The 'ring' on the cymbal could also be from being packed in a bag with a smaller cymbal beside it. My guess is the cymbals were still in a soft case or in the slot of a trap case when transported.

GiantBeater

GiantBeater

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

According to Keltner, who would know, he got Ringo's old hi hat cymbals, which were Paiste 602's. So not all Zildjians.

Those are the Please Please Me album hi hats that were labeled 602/Arbiter

-brendan

wooltonboy

wooltonboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

RonR

Yeah Mal seems to have been much more intimately involved with Ringo's Beatle drums (as far as the nuts and bolts aspects) than Ringo and it may well have been he who instigated such things as the Rogers swivo tom mounts being installed. Unfortunately he was shot dead by the L.A.P.D. back in the mid 70's so whatever information he could have shared with us today is long gone.

Hi everyone, I'm drumming as a "Ringo" in a very very good Beatle tribute here in the Toronto area.
I just purchased an 18" A crash-ride from the late 60's which is absolutely terrific. I also just received from a seller on Ebay, an early 70's 20" A crash-ride which was listed at being 1800 grams. Upon receiving the cymbal, I weighed it and found it to be 1904 grams. I've never used vintage Zildjians, and in fact was using a pair of Zildian K medium thin 17 and 18" crashes as my "Ringo" cymbals. I haven't had the chance to play the 20" vintage as yet, but I'm wondering if the weight being 1900 grams is appropriate for that Ringo left side crash sound? Just trying it here at home, albeit in a limited way as I'm apartment bound, it seems very loud and a bit heavy. Maybe I'm just not used to hearing that classic vintage Zildjian sound? As stated though, the 18" crash-ride is just perfect for the right side, as it has a great wash to it, and crashes beautifully. It weighs in at around 1400 grams.
Thoughts anyone? Cheers, Phil

Edited by wooltonboy, 20 June 2012 - 10:09 AM.

Dale

Dale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationWashington State

???????????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users