- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

sscarp

sscarp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio
Does anyone make their entire kit in the USA?

Lee

Lee

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. Suggest a search of the threads.....

Edited by Lee, 12 June 2012 - 12:46 PM.

wayne

wayne

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
True,searches are the way to go but i believe the answer is no.

sscarp

sscarp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio

This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. Suggest a search of the threads.....

tried that, thanks for being so helpful

franke

franke

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,332 posts
Here's the short answer: NO.

To elaborate, all hardware and fittings are made outside the US (usually in Taiwan). Shells are made here. Wrap is made here but partially sourced from Italy. Drums are finished and assembled here.

Though I don't want to engage in one of these "USA #1 - BUY AMERICAN!!" debates, suffice to say that Gretsch has about 12 people who work at their US factory, Ludwig/Selmer has maybe three times as much, and DW has maybe 50. Tama and Sonor/Hohner USA employ about as many US workers as Ludwig/Selmer, Pearl USA employs about as many US workers as DW, and Yamaha Music USA employs about the sum and then some of all three US-based drum makers.

Dean

Dean

Stable

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • LocationMass
here this ought to keep you busy for a while

http://www.drumforum...et-really-made/

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts
  • LocationOceanside, New York
You can make the shells (from domestic veneers) and lugs here (most machined lugs are; diecast is all Asia). Delmar pearl wraps start life in Italy. Sparkles and satin flames are made domestically. There are NO domestic tension rods or metal hoops. All PET film (Mylar or otherwise) used for heads is made in Asia.

So there ya go. The answer is you CANNOT make a 100% USA-made drum.

In the end, it really doesn't matter because the American support people required to import drums is usually MORE than would work in any drum factory. Therefore, no one is REALLY unemployed as a result of offshore production.

In addition, if you were TRULY going to break it down to the lowest common denominators, you'd find foreign components in the alloys, adhesives, etc.

Edited by jrfrond, 12 June 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Trey Gray

Trey Gray

Pro

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • LocationColumbia,TN.
JR...you always rock!

cheers & Blessings,
Trey

chetatkinsdiet

chetatkinsdiet

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,324 posts
  • LocationDallas
It's a global economy. The world is shrinking. I'd love to be able to move past this topic. I don't care where my stuff is made as long as it's made well.

m

pork pie

pork pie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Pork Pie has 5 employees.

mkelley

mkelley

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN
The quality isn't there for a lot of the made in the US stuff. That's hard to say as being raised in a Teamster family.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 4,431 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida
J.R. is correct, and he knows because he is an American drum builder.

I hung in there for a long time on the "Made in USA" thing, but I finally gave up because no such thing exists any more, unless you're playing vintage drums. My current kits are a GMS CL series City Jazz kit (which is made overseas, but it's subject to very good GMS quality control), and a Tama Stagestar kit.

I do miss the old days when "USA" was a thing of pride. This isn't just a drum thing, of course. Thanks to the overweening global corporate powers, tens of thousands of American workers have lost their jobs to off-shoring. It sucks, but it's reality.

I wonder sometimes about younger drummers whose first exposure to drums was Pearl or Yamaha. They dont have a clue about the great old days.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 4,431 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

The quality isn't there for a lot of the made in the US stuff. That's hard to say as being raised in a Teamster family.

Do you have some examples of this?

Thud

Thud

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,849 posts
  • LocationRI

here this ought to keep you busy for a while

http://www.drumforum...et-really-made/

This thread, though at some points very annoying, was/is also very illuminating.

Thud

Thud

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,849 posts
  • LocationRI
Welcome to the forum sscarp!

mkelley

mkelley

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

My examples are Gretsch/Ludwig and with cars
70's Gretsch kit - Blown out lug holes, gaps in plys, shoddy chrome.
70's gretsch nos shell. same thing.
70's Ludwig - Supras from the 70's, blistering chrome.

look at some of the examples around here of folks spending $1k+ on a custom Ludwig, only to have it arrive completely wrong. I don't think I've heard that about DWs.

Chevy Camaro & Malibu. In the 90's Chevy got this great idea to use DEXCOOL instead of anti-freeze. Over time, this will plug heating coils and turn into sludge while eating away at head gaskets. Causing me a complete cooling system & head gasket replacements of about $1400 x 2, of which Chevy would only give a $200 discount of a known issue (finally joined a class-action suit against them). Testing and quality control would have to be much higher for me to consider another Chevy.

Lee

Lee

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,548 posts

tried that, thanks for being so helpful

No problem.

Dean

Dean

Stable

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • LocationMass

I do, Computers, Tv's, Drums , Guitars, home stereo, automobiles, .... need a bigger list???

jbennett

jbennett

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationNoVa
Noble & Cooley still cast/plate their hoops in the USA.

Innovation Drums are made entirely in the USA (and cost a FORTUNE).

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts
  • LocationOceanside, New York

Noble & Cooley still cast/plate their hoops in the USA.

Innovation Drums are made entirely in the USA (and cost a FORTUNE).

Are the molds for the hoops made here?

Are the tension rods made here?

Are the fasteners made here?

Not being facetious, just looking at details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users