- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Mr Snarey

Mr Snarey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBournemouth U K
Hi I'm new on here I hope someone can help me, I recently purchased a set of 70's natural drums I have been informed there all original the problem I have is the finish,it looks as if they would have been a matt finish originally and someone has lacquer them by hand, I know Ludwig did a thermo gloss did they do a semi lacquer finish ?

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,008 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina
Please post pics for the forum to address your concerns!! :icon_smile:

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,393 posts
  • LocationIllinois
For a good chunk of the 70's Ludwig didn't make natural finish drums and instead opted to use faux-wood finish "cortex" wrap (similar to Formica) for their "Maple", "Mahogany" and "Walnut" finish drums. Prior to that they did offer the Thermo Gloss maple and also natural mahogany although both finishes were not heavily promoted (other than the jazzette outfit) and you don't see a lot of 70's sets in either of those finishes.

It might be possible that you have a set that had the wrap stripped off and then the outer maple ply (if they were maple) refinished. If it is a Thermo Gloss finish from the early 70's then it's also possible that the original lacquer has aged to a semi-gloss look. It's really hard to say without more information and with Ludwig it's tough to nail anything down with 100% certainty as there were so many production variences and/or special order type things being done.

Perhaps you could post some pictures or at least the serial numbers so there can be some idea as to when they were made. Are they 3 ply with re-rings or 6 ply? Ludwig did bring the natural finishes back at the tail end of the decade but those were the 6 ply drums.

Edited by K.O., 02 July 2012 - 06:58 PM.

lazer

lazer

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,247 posts
  • Locationvancouver bc
can you describe the badges?

i have a maple ludwig set from 1979,power shells,modular tube hardware, that is laquer over maple,and it has changed appearance over the years

Mr Snarey

Mr Snarey

• Members
  • 5 posts

For a good chunk of the 70's Ludwig didn't make natural finish drums and instead opted to use faux-wood finish "cortex" wrap (similar to Formica) for their "Maple", "Mahogany" and "Walnut" finish drums. Prior to that they did offer the Thermo Gloss maple and also natural mahogany although both finishes were not heavily promoted (other than the jazzette outfit) and you don't see a lot of 70's sets in either of those finishes.

It might be possible that you have a set that had the wrap stripped off and then the outer maple ply (if they were maple) refinished. If it is a Thermo Gloss finish from the early 70's then it's also possible that the original lacquer has aged to a semi-gloss look. It's really hard to say without more information and with Ludwig it's tough to nail anything down with 100% certainty as there were so many production variences and/or special order type things being done.

Perhaps you could post some pictures or at least the serial numbers so there can be some idea as to when they were made. Are they 3 ply with re-rings or 6 ply? Ludwig did bring the natural finishes back at the tail end of the decade but those were the 6 ply drums.

Thank you for taking the trouble in replying, this is a real strange one I've looked very closely at the insides of all the drums and there's no indication the badges have been removed so that rules out the drums being originally wrapped,also they are 6 ply shells, got to say though they sound awsome !!
Martyn

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,393 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Six ply shells came out around 1977 and the '80 catalog (issued at the tail end of the 70's) does mark the return of natural lacquer finishes being openly offered again. I don't recall off the top of my head if there were any satin natural finishes available though.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with the 6 ply shells, just they are a different animal from the 3 plies.

lazer

lazer

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,247 posts
  • Locationvancouver bc
are they deep shells?

that's what I;ve got

Mr Snarey

Mr Snarey

• Members
  • 5 posts

are they deep shells?

that's what I;ve got

Hi
There not power toms just classic sizes, what sort of finish are yours ?
Martyn

Mr Snarey

Mr Snarey

• Members
  • 5 posts

can you describe the badges?

i have a maple ludwig set from 1979,power shells,modular tube hardware, that is laquer over maple,and it has changed appearance over the years

Green and olive pointy badges not bothered about the colour just the lacquer ?

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,497 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
Photos needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users