• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 6,410 posts
  • LocationChichester NH
That looks like a great score! I am a Ludwig guy but I still know how to appreciate a great looking set of drums! When I was in high school I played with a guy whose stepmother had her original 1970 slingerlands in red sparkle. 20,12,14 with matching red sparkle snare drum. Man those drums sounded good! The color was stunning too.

I really think that Tiger wrap is super cool. I really like the way it looks. Have fun with those and watch out because your son may want to swap for those instead!

SamS

SamS

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationUpstate, SC
Congrats! That was a very good price. The Yellow Tiger club on here seems to be growing. I also play mine out. Not too often lately though, Mine are from 1969. I've posted this pic way too many times. Can't help it.

[attachment=137129:1969-Slingerland-Tiger2.JPG]

olmanbenny

olmanbenny

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Locationstumptown
Well done, Red66!

Your's looks sweet, too, SamS!

Gary

Gary

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
I got these back in '06 or '07. Came with the 6 lug snare. I guess I paid top dollar even for back then. I love em and they look so cool but I enjoy playing 13/16/22 better. I know the smaller sizes are more expensive and this is offset by the fact that these are single lug "clubdates" or whatever Slingy called them. However if someone wanted to talk about a trade for 13/16/22 with snare double lug drums in the same finish, I certainly would discuss it.

[attachment=137135:slingy tiger.jpg]

Edited by Gary, 18 July 2012 - 01:43 PM.

SamS

SamS

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationUpstate, SC
Ooooo Gary. A rare set in a rare finish. I wouldn't trade mine though. I like 13, 16, 22 too. I would talk to you about that snare though. I've been looking for one for over a year.

Saladdaze

Saladdaze

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
Great score, Dan. Congrats! Keep us posted with your progress please.

Michael

red66charger

red66charger

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLargo, FL
I thought I’d put a bow on top of this thread with photos of MY Yellow Tiger Pearl Slingerland kit and a quick inventory of parts I’m going to be looking for. One last time, thanks to everyone who contributed to my delinquency…you’re all Walter White’s to the poor, innocent vintage drum enthusiast! :shock:

As I said before, the set is far from museum grade and never will be. But it sure turned some heads when I photographed in my driveway this evening. I even had a guy stop and ask me if I was selling them!

KINGTRIXON is right on, the consolette is indeed Japanese and many have commented that the claws are Gretsch. K.O. thank you for tip about two seems on the wrap. I was concerned about that. Rich K., Joeyboom, SamS and Gary...I’m waiting on my invitation to the Tiger Club! ☺ Those Tiger are all stunning. And in the background I’ve been getting some great tips from Saladdaze (AKA Michael).
You all have such gorgeous gear. I’m embarrassed just “hanging out” with you. I’ll try to talk a little less and read a little more. I do want to leave you all with a little wish list of sorts in case you’ve got something I could use…
13" COB Stick Saver Hoop
Floor Tom Legs
Tom-Tom Muffler
L-cymbal stand and Mount (for bass drum)

Bigger Items -
16 Torpedo T-Rods and Claws - yes ONLY 16 <sigh>
Bass Drum Consolette (complete)
Also, nyuk-myuk, I’ve got 16 Gretcsh bass drum claws I’d be happy to trade for some Torpedo T Rods or Slingy claws ☺
So now the photos…fair warning, there are lots of them. In the photos you will see a set of bass drum legs. The guy gave these to me, as well as an extra tom-tom mount. I could use some help identifying these. The bass drum legs are in rough shape. Would they still be of interest or value for my trading purposes? Consider these photos my “before” pics. One last thing, I have a nice set of bass drum legs and leg mounts on the way, so the once currently mounted on the bass drum will be available.

Dan's Slingerland Yellow Tiger Pearl

Edited by red66charger, 19 July 2012 - 09:12 PM.

SamS

SamS

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationUpstate, SC
The wrap looks very good and vibrant on those. I've seen some that have faded badly. Not those babies. The rest is parts and elbow grease. Best of luck with them.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,090 posts
  • LocationIllinois
That set is so cool!

Question....

Are there other holes from an earlier rail? Is it possible that that is the original rail...not Slingerland obviously, but perhaps installed on a new "virgin" bass drum by a store using wan imported rail that they happened to have in stock. I believe Slingerland was still using a two hole rail at that time (as did Gretsch). Also the import rails generally tend to be longer than the USA made ones (which were often made by W & A no matter what brand of drum they ended up on) so the holes seldom line up.

Bottom line...at best, replacing the rail will leave 4 holes behind (I guess it depends on how it all lines up...you might get by with using two of the exsisting holes for a Slingerland rail and then just have two extras), at worst it will also require the drilling of two new holes ( if there aren't existing holes from a previous rail). I think either way (and especially if it's the latter) I'd leave that rail in place and either use it (perhaps with a better designed upright if it will fit) or else put the tom on a stand. Of course that's just my opinion...they're yours to do with what you will.

Regardless those are some awesome looking drums and should clean up quite nicely.

red66charger

red66charger

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLargo, FL
Well you bring up a great question K.O. I checked very closely and there are no other holes near the rail. No signs of patching either. Funny, that Club Date of Gary's above also has a 4 bolt rail and I've seen another as well. But then I've seen the 2 bolt rails too. Mine is definitely stamped Made in Japan.

In light of that, I'll either replace just the top portion of the mount or do as you suggested and go with a stand. A bit of a bummer, but I promise you I won't be drilling holes. FYI...my rail is just shy of 7" long. The bolts are located about 5 1/2" apart along the length of the rail and about 2 1/4" inches apart on the ends.

PopsOls Skins

PopsOls Skins

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationMinnysnowda
Here ya go.
Be quick. Ten torpedo's Buy it now.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c66f0eef5

brhythm

brhythm

Drum Czar

• Silver
  • 2,380 posts
  • LocationMaine
Let me get in here and say that, cheapskate that I am, I would've jumped on these at $650! Good score. I've got an Avante Slingerland, and the sound is AWESOME.

red66charger

red66charger

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLargo, FL

Here ya go.
Be quick. Ten torpedo's Buy it now.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c66f0eef5

I saw those yesterday and was "watching" them, now they're on the way to my house. Pricey little buggers, but when you consider supply vs. demand, what are you going to do? I know, I know...preachin' to the choir! I think I needed that nudge. Those actually look to be in decent shape. The seller told me he might have six more (fingers crossed).

Edited by red66charger, 21 July 2012 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users