• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

JohnL

JohnL

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire
In the market for a new pair of brushes for jazz and general playing. Wondering what you guys and gals like or dislike and why. Also wondering about rute sticks never owned a pair but thought I would try some.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 6,711 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I own quite a few different pairs of brushes because the gigs I play require them. I am a big fan of Regal Tip brushes some of my favorites are :

Clayton Cameron model - I like this because it has a longer handle than most models and is an easy transition between sticks. It is a non- retractable model and the bristles are medium thickness.
The wire spread is not too wide.
Jeff Hamilton model - this is a retractable rubber handle model that has thicker strands and creates a louder , fatter sound than the Clayton Cameron model. The thicker strands take some getting used to and you may find these a little loud for some situations. The wire spread is adjustable and there are two notches in the wire to set spread.

Ed Thigpen - this is my favorite right now - retractable , it has a composite wood and rubber handle , medium thickness bristles. It plays very nicely, smooth sweeps and you can play a variety of different volumes with this. The wire spread is adjustable and there are notches in the handle to set spread.

Yellow Jacket - this is a great retractable rubber handle model , especially if you are counting your pennies. It doesn't cost as much as the ones listed above. I do find that it has a click when played forcefully that may be annoying for some.

I like to keep the spread on my two brushes different. I like to keep the spread in the left hand brush wider for sweeping and thinner on the right hand for definition.

10 Lug

10 Lug

Advanced Member

• Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationCape Cod, MA

I own quite a few different pairs of brushes because the gigs I play require them. I am a big fan of Regal Tip brushes some of my favorites are :

Clayton Cameron model - I like this because it has a longer handle than most models and is an easy transition between sticks. It is a non- retractable model and the bristles are medium thickness.
The wire spread is not too wide.
Jeff Hamilton model - this is a retractable rubber handle model that has thicker strands and creates a louder , fatter sound than the Clayton Cameron model. The thicker strands take some getting used to and you may find these a little loud for some situations. The wire spread is adjustable and there are two notches in the wire to set spread.

Ed Thigpen - this is my favorite right now - retractable , it has a composite wood and rubber handle , medium thickness bristles. It plays very nicely, smooth sweeps and you can play a variety of different volumes with this. The wire spread is adjustable and there are notches in the handle to set spread.

Yellow Jacket - this is a great retractable rubber handle model , especially if you are counting your pennies. It doesn't cost as much as the ones listed above. I do find that it has a click when played forcefully that may be annoying for some.

I like to keep the spread on my two brushes different. I like to keep the spread in the left hand brush wider for sweeping and thinner on the right hand for definition.

+1 on the Yellow Jacket click.

cearleywine

cearleywine

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationLawrence KS
I prefer thicker wires. I own the Jeff Hamiltons and the Vic Firth white plastic handled ones. I use coolrods too, though they're not meant to be played hard at all.

Riouel

Riouel

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationMontreal
thanks for advise guys

i will look at the model you describ

CSR

CSR

Member since May 2000

• Platinum
  • 2,994 posts
  • Location- Snow Belt, New York State, USA, Earth
Using a Pre-mark model right now. I bought the classic Ludwig red-handled brushes, but I found that without a crimp in the rod, they tend to slide back when I'm playing. I need something that locks in the extended position.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 6,711 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
Zildjian used to make a Steve Houghton model brush that was fantastic and sadly discontinued. They had wood handles and a felt ball at the base , so you could do cymbal swells. Really well designed, I really wish Zildjian didn't discontinue these. They were perfect.

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,368 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL & Jacksonville, FL

In the market for a new pair of brushes for jazz and general playing. Wondering what you guys and gals like or dislike and why. Also wondering about rute sticks never owned a pair but thought I would try some.

I compared and reviewed a LOT of brush models on these pages:

http://snaredrumz.bl...off-part-1.html

http://snaredrumz.bl...off-part-2.html

http://snaredrumz.bl...off-part-3.html

MustangMick

MustangMick

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationDundalk, Ireland
I use the Regal Tip Standard Retractables and the Jeff Hamilton Model.
Jeff Hamilton model quite a bit louder but Jeff manages to make them sing so i need to practice more.

Just bought an Aquarian Modern Vintage head for one of my snares, seems to be a much grittier finish than an Ambassador or G1, will give it a go at tomorrow's gig.

Mick

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
I like the Jeff Hamilton brushes and the medium weight brushes they have that are the same except for the wire. I actually now use the Innovative Percussion brushes that have the same wire as those 2 models. They customize mine at Innovative by putting something inside the shaft that makes them harder to move in and out, but keeps them from retracting, while I'm playing. I'm very hard on brushes, as I solo with them sometimes and do "tricks" with them. I can't use any brush like the Thigpen or any wooden handles brush, as I can't lay the brush down and roll it. The rubber handle doesn't slide on the rim of the drum. A wooden handle slides and won't let the brush "roll." Also, when doing a "slap roll" with one hand, the wooden handle makes a big CLICK on the rim of the drum. Those brushes just take too much out of my "vocabulary." Those things are very useful and can be musical. (Or not, depending....) Anyway, a nice medium rubber handle brush with notches in the metal shaft are the way to for me, and the heavier gauge wire ones, like Jeff's help get a little extra volume and bounce.

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

They customize mine at Innovative by putting something inside the shaft that makes them harder to move in and out, but keeps them from retracting, while I'm playing.

I give the pull rod a twist to hold them in the position I want (and I have found that most retractable brushes - regardless of brand or model - will do this. I normally fan my left brush full, and restrict the fanning on the right one. Not always, but often.

Another little trick I am using again (and was common among drummers back in the day) is to bend over the eyelet on the pull rod. This lets you quickly get some projection and rebound when you switch ends to play a phrase that requires something more staccato or up from, say, PP to PPP or F.

Posted Image

They look awkward, but actually work comfortably and ergonomically - and I can do doubles and press rolls with that end.

thegayge

thegayge

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC
I got to review a pair of BrushFire brushes a while back and really loved them. Different wire gauges available, and handmade with the same techniques used fifty years ago. Great product.

BrushFire Review

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

I got to review a pair of BrushFire brushes a while back and really loved them. Different wire gauges available, and handmade with the same techniques used fifty years ago. Great product.

BrushFire Review

Nice playing!

thegayge

thegayge

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

BrushFire Review

Nice playing!

Thanks so much, Mike. I'm a terrible, terrible brush player, so even getting that little clip took about twenty minutes of playing with the camera on. Even with that, I'm pretty self conscious about the footage I settled on, so the compliment means a lot.

I read over your brush reviews also. Awesome stuff. Adding your page to my favorites now.

Thanks again!

XVIII Airborne

XVIII Airborne

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,661 posts
I'm a big fan of Regal Tip brushes. I have the traditional retractable model but I recently bought a pair of the John JR Robinson model and really like them. The are the same as the traditional retractable but are about an inch longer. I have kind of big hands and the extra length in the handle feels balanced to me.

JohnL

JohnL

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire
Thanks all for the input. Leaning towards the Jeff Hamilton model because it's longer than the others. Also because it seems everyone says they're louder. I always feel that I have to hit too hard with brushes to get the volume I want so may be with these I can back off and relax a little. I like a longer stick and I'm using VF X5A 16 1/2". The brushes I have right now are cheap mij's and they feel so short in my hands it's always bothered me.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Great brushes. The extra long handle is the key. This is the longest-handled brush I know of. They rebound almost like drum sticks. Great for fast tempo playing.

The spread is too wide for me, so I wrap a rubber band around the base of the wires to bring them in tighter. Works great. I use yellow rubber bands to match the tips!

JohnL

JohnL

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Great brushes. The extra long handle is the key. This is the longest-handled brush I know of. They rebound almost like drum sticks. Great for fast tempo playing.

The spread is too wide for me, so I wrap a rubber band around the base of the wires to bring them in tighter. Works great. I use yellow rubber bands to match the tips!

Only thing that bothers me about those is they are non retractable. Don't think I want to deal with that.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,795 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX
I like using the Vic Firth Live Wire brushes. Each strand has a tiny metal bead at the end that gives you extra volume and great cymbal articulation.

Downside is that they tend to "sing" a little bit when dragging them across a new head with a lot of tooth, but I don't think this gets much beyond the kit.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Only thing that bothers me about those is they are non retractable. Don't think I want to deal with that.

I used to think that, too, until I tried non-retractables. They definitely feel more solid than retractables. As to bending the wires, that never happens in the stick bag. Most wire bending happens during the gig when a wire gets caught on a rim or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users