• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Douglas

Douglas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Has anyone seen the KFC commercial on the Comedy Channel? In the commercial there's a goofy looking guy eating chicken and he's sitting behind what appears to be a 60's Slingerland kit. The set is white pearl the lugs and hoops look like Slingerland but the mount on the tom looks Ludwig. Anyone care to comment on this?

Doug

red66charger

red66charger

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 753 posts
  • LocationLargo, FL
Yeah, I've seen it and wondered the same thing about DFO'rs. Every time it comes on my wife says "there's your drums". I give her kudos for recognizing it. Does it look to you like the wrap on the two rack toms doesn't match? I wish they would have shown the bass drum more but very cool to see a WMP on a commercial.

Edited by red66charger, 17 August 2012 - 07:34 PM.

Rhino

Rhino

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO
If it's the one where the guy is eating chicken and "Bob Vance" from Vance Refridgeration, busts down there and gives him a hard time about eating chicken nuggets... ...then yes I've seen it.

Snooter

Snooter

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationAurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
Those are knock off Slingys. I at first thought he was behind a Slingerland kit,but the tom mount gives it away. There were a lot of look alike drums made by other companies. Ludwig and Slingerland were copied most,I think Slingerland was copied more than Ludwig drums.
I dont know if watching that commercial makes me want to play drums or eat chicken nuggets :lol:

PeterK

PeterK

• Gold
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
Yes, I've seen it too. Wasn't sure if they were MIJ Slingerland knock offs judging by the double tom mount.

steambent

steambent

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationOhio

Yes, I've seen it too. Wasn't sure if they were MIJ Slingerland knock offs judging by the double tom mount.

Yes very cool to see the WMP pearl but 110% not Slingerlands.

thin shell

thin shell

RIP Bongo Congo

• Members
  • 1,982 posts
it has a long rail at 12 0clock and has two consoles on it. It looks like the tom on the right has a Ludwig classic mount on it.

I agree it is most likely a MIJ Slingerland copy with some modificationsAttached File  kfc drums 1.jpg   141.46KB   51 downloads.

Edited by thin shell, 18 August 2012 - 08:32 AM.

steambent

steambent

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationOhio
The lugs (as all MIJ knock off Slingerland/Gretsch lugs) are slightly different if you look close.

DaveA

DaveA

• Gold
  • 359 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
The first time I saw that ad, I thought they might be vintage Slingerlands, but that tom mount gave it away.

Still, I like WMP and I like KFC!

JBernie

JBernie

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 839 posts
  • LocationVery Rural NW Ohio
That tom mount is not original...... Look again and you'll that there are carriage bolts plugging holes on the top/side on the drummers right side of the bass.

I'm thinking that the bass drum is actually a real Slingy. But I'm not a Slingy expert by any stretch.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,335 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011

Those are knock off Slingys. I at first thought he was behind a Slingerland kit,but the tom mount gives it away. There were a lot of look alike drums made by other companies. Ludwig and Slingerland were copied most,I think Slingerland was copied more than Ludwig drums.
I dont know if watching that commercial makes me want to play drums or eat chicken nuggets :lol:

Yes, I concur. Production companies know that most viewers are not drum experts and are not willing to pay a rental fee on some authentic Vintage Slingys for a 30 second commercial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users