51 replies to this topic

B.A.Baracus

B.A.Baracus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTolland, Connecticut
I guess the main upgrade I'm talking about is the fact that the Brooklyn is made in the USA.

Slippy

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California
have you played the Brooklyn sets yet? if not you really should. I'm not a big Gretsch guy but i played them once and was hooked.. I am seriously thinking about my next major purchase to be one of these bad boys... i have played the Renown and wasent blown away by them lets just say that.

Doof

Doof

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario
Don't forget the 'upgrade' in price too. I guess to you need to listen for yourself as Slippy said. It all depends on what you are looking for. From my perspective, I can't see any difference in sound justifying the additional expense as the Renowns very good quality and equal to the specs of USA Custom (without the gum ply). Same hardware as well. Full disclosure: I am biased, owning a set of Renowns myself.

That being said, the Brooklyns sure do look nice.

Edited by Doof, 06 September 2012 - 03:18 PM.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • LocationSingapore, Singapore
I asked Tommy Wells this same question, although I was looking at the entire Gretsch line excluding the bottom Blackhawk and the USA Customs. Tommy strongly recommended that I check out the Renowns. I don't like the look of the Renowns at all, so I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy a kit.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,467 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Renowns (and new classics) are all maple while the Brooklyns are maple and poplar. Not sure how much difference that makes but they aren't quite the same, even discounting where they are made.

B.A.Baracus

B.A.Baracus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanks for all the replies. I actually own a renown. I've had it for over 4.5 years. I like it a lot. I think I'm mainly hooked on the made in S. Carolina thing and the nice black round badge of the Brooklyn. My renown is a prototype, so it's sort of hard to let go of since it's not an everyday renown.
I have two kits right now, but only want one due to lack of space. My other one is up for sale on here.

B.A.Baracus

B.A.Baracus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I've played a Brooklyn but it was set up wierd and the bass pedal sucked so I didn't get a good feel for it.

5 Style

5 Style

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • LocationSE Portland, Oregon
Haven't played all of this stuff so I don't really know... but that wont stop me from chiming in! I get the feeling that the Brooklyn is really just capitalizing on the history of the brand and especially since apparently several aspects of the kits aren't even close to historically correct, it isn't really even a good buy from that standpoint. Take that away and you have two really nice lines of drums that are each different, but one not clearly nicer than the other. I'd think that the Renouns are very nice drums and probably not to much less desirable in tone than the very top of the line.

For these reasons it doesn't really seem that upgrading is such a great move. If on the other hand you're looking for something different with different sizes, tone, etc then you need to figure out what that is and then shop with a more specific lens. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having a few different kits to rotate or to store at have set up locations... then there's no reason to necessarily get radically different style of kits. If this is the case then get keep the Renouns, get the Brooklyns and then you'll really know the differences!

noahJT

noahJT

prone to DFO-UI

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
well they aren't similar...there's an upgrade of quality, but if straight shelled maple kits are your thing then you might actually prefer the renowns.

B.A.Baracus

B.A.Baracus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
The Renowns are said to be the best bang for the buck out there. I have some figuring out to do.

Edited by B.A.Baracus, 07 September 2012 - 07:14 AM.

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,322 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.
The difference between them sound wise is pretty slight. The biggest problem I have with the Brooklyns is the deep bass drums. Not so bad on the 18, but that's the only one that I could use. The rims feel a bit different but you may not notice that much. I don't think they set out to make old drums.. just something a little different from the USA Maples. If they start offering old school bass drum depths and vintage hardware options I could see them doing really well. I think we just need to have Steve Maxwell work on that for a while.

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo,Ca

well they aren't similar...there's an upgrade of quality, but if straight shelled maple kits are your thing then you might actually prefer the renowns.

If you see an upgrade in quality, it's all the mental "made in USA" thing. Renown's are *very* nicely made, great sounding drums. I've owned an RB kit, and currently playing a stop sign kit, and my Renown's compared well, or better then either of them. That said, I'd buy the RB's back in an instant. Just Mucho Mojo. *But, I've been eyeing Renown ads lately. Just need a 12/14/20...Attached File  l.jpg   199.06KB   23 downloads

B.A.Baracus

B.A.Baracus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Here is my Renown....I've posted some pics of it on here a while back.
Attached File  dscn2983a.jpg   257.57KB   47 downloads

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo,Ca

wow. Very pretty!

B.A.Baracus

B.A.Baracus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

wow. Very pretty!

Thanks!

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,920 posts
  • Locationcurrently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Canada- no more T'O.no more snow!

The Renowns are said to be the best bang for the buck out there.

+1

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,920 posts
  • Locationcurrently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Canada- no more T'O.no more snow!

The biggest problem I have with the Brooklyns is the deep bass drums. Not so bad on the 18, but that's the only one that I could use. The rims feel a bit different but you may not notice that much.

chop those suckers...after agonizing for a year on the first one...it only hurts once.

B.A.Baracus

B.A.Baracus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Seems like a lot of people want the Brooklyn to come with 14 and 16 bass drum depth options.

Stixnergard2

Stixnergard2

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,851 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY
I own a Renown kit and love them and enjoy the sound. The Brooklyn series is very nice and I would think that the die cast hoops vs the double flanged 302 hoops would make more difference in the sound than the shell construction. I would also look at the New Classic's, about the same price as the Brooklyn's although made overseas. Just Drums on line has killer pricing on Gretsch. Here is a video comparing the NC's to the Gretsch USA series that may be of interest.

B.A.Baracus

B.A.Baracus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

I own a Renown kit and love them and enjoy the sound. The Brooklyn series is very nice and I would think that the die cast hoops vs the double flanged 302 hoops would make more difference in the sound than the shell construction. I would also look at the New Classic's, about the same price as the Brooklyn's although made overseas. Just Drums on line has killer pricing on Gretsch. Here is a video comparing the NC's to the Gretsch USA series that may be of interest.

That's a great video. Thanks!
My brother has a sweet New Classic.
My main hang up is the Made is USA thing.
My Renown is top quality though. It's really nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users