• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Manicoti

Manicoti

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSpruce View, Alberta

I think I'm going back to my Speed King.

That's what's nice about having all these pedals to choose from. The Jojo pedal is not the perfect pedal for everyone, but for me, it's pretty well perfect. It's actually had me spending a lot more time in my drum room these last two days.

Manicoti

Manicoti

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

What a concise and informative review. Great read, and it really sparked my interest. Thanks for posting!

Thanks! I take that as a real compliment especially coming from you!! :occasion5:

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationDuncan,Vancouver Island, Canada-Retirement centre of Canada..no more nasty T'O.!

Squeek King

Yeah it rattles too, who cares? Only I hear it. Push pedal with foot, drum goes boom. Repeat.

just kidding you.....it is only a problem in the studio, so I've been told...I had one in the 60's..my first real kit was a Joe Morello silver sparkle beauty

Missing Link

Missing Link

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationOut in the sticks, near Champaign, IL

Squeek King

Yeah it rattles too, who cares? Only I hear it. Push pedal with foot, drum goes boom. Repeat.

just kidding you.....it is only a problem in the studio, so I've been told...I had one in the 60's..my first real kit was a Joe Morello silver sparkle beauty

I knew you were kidding. :-D I'm thinking of sending my speedo in to drummechanix.com for a refurb. Looks like a nice product he puts out. I started out on a speed king and over the years have tried most all of the nice hi tech machined billet masterpieces but every now & then throw on my speed king for a gig and wonder why I ever quit using it, other than I was using a double pedal for years but really don't need that for what I'm doing. Stows nicely too.

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationDuncan,Vancouver Island, Canada-Retirement centre of Canada..no more nasty T'O.!
Just unpacked mine....first impression:

This unit is obviously defective....I don't sound at all like Jo Jo!.... Come to think of it my last 3 pairs of his sticks didn't do the trick either....maybe I need to do the Trifacta and buy the Fierce Ride to enable the flow of jojo-itudeness.

The first impression was the "extension of your foot" that people mention....feels light as a feather but not flimsy. Exactly how he described it in the vid I posted....as opposed to the traditional kidney shaped cam. I can definitely identify the inferior design of traditional systems now, as far as the fulcrum. I have a lot of the pedals out there except Sonor, DW and Trick, going back to Camco, Gretsch floating action, Pearl belt Elim, Pearl single chain/double chain, Tama, Gibraltar...etc...and this is way above all of them. The drum shop owner is a metal guy and it doesn't work for him....probably used to the solid feel of double chains. This is like old school belt, but with much better action....power +response...My Gretsch is plenty light, but the only way to get power was to put half my foot on the ground....not having the strength to hold up my leg for heel up.

I've only had it home for a few days, and have already lost the allen key and L tuning key somewhere in the bowels of my garage. I adjusted the stroke to maximum, added my Zoro square beater, and backed off the hoop clamp a bit, since right now I have it on my Remo pad kit, so the cam was catching on the rim of the pad. As a lefty, so far I found it awkward to release the pedal when bending over the snare. The button location hidden by the pedal made it hard to reach for a lefty, reaching around the snare stand and under the pedal. I'm sure I will get the hang of it soon.

Questions:

I was wondering how the hoop clamps will work on metal rims....yes I have some beater sets that have uneven metal rims, like the old Pearl.

I was tempted to reverse engineer it from the get go ....which has worked SO well in the past....garage looks like a pedal cementary....probably like Jo Jo's...and take off the heel plate to sandwich a DW plate in there, but figured it might burn my Jo JO Karma even more than it currently is, so I settled for putting a note pad on top of the heel..didn't make a whole lot of difference, so looks like German engineering did the job. I don't know if the bearings are as high end as skateboards, but that will have to wait.

More after the first gig.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 6,477 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
The shop I bought my Sonor PB pedal from called me today to tell me the distributor is sending ut the newer stiffer, less elastic strap to the original purchasers of the JoJo Pedal. I picked it up today and took 5 minutes to swap it out. There was no difference in feel between the two straps, the newer is less elastic than the original.

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,677 posts

The shop I bought my Sonor PB pedal from called me today to tell me the distributor is sending ut the newer stiffer, less elastic strap to the original purchasers of the JoJo Pedal. I picked it up today and took 5 minutes to swap it out. There was no difference in feel between the two straps, the newer is less elastic than the original.

that's the one I mentioned...the same as in the JoJo vids...don't know how the thin vinyl one came about...but it will make a good spare.

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,677 posts
now here's an interesting one....I always had troubles getting any decent speed on alternating singles between hands and right foot. Not a problem with foot speed, thought it was some kind of coordination issue.

however, just did that exercise on new jojo pedal, and voila...no problem at all....something to do with the inherent latency of most pedals?....think....move foot....adjust for bad fulcrum....move pedal...play note..

This pedal reads my foot and mind at the same time... +1+1+1 on "extension of the foot" concept!

Dealer pm'd me to say the rubber/leather strap is here from sonor

Edited by Michael Beechey, 19 September 2012 - 01:43 PM.

TopHatJohnny

TopHatJohnny

Master of the TopHat's!!

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Can't stand the "Wait" as "It wont be long" till I have this baby waiting for me "When I get home" and move the Speed Cobra ("PS I Love You") over to the woodblock duty. "The long and winding road'  with pedals has been rough, but this "Bad Boy"  looks like it will be one that the "biys" can't argue with. it's really "This Boy" that matters, and surely "I Don't Want to Spoil The Party'  with comments until I am able to play it and either say I love it or tell JO JO to "Get Back". If I really like it I may play it "Eight Days a Week". Other than that. "Tell Me Why" I should look for "Another Girtl" to put my foot on?? "With a Little Help from My Friends" and this pedal, I think I can get by in another "Day in the life".

JPG&R

fcvapor05

fcvapor05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationRochester, MI

Anyone converted one over to chain drive yet?

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Nice review!  Thanks for posting.  

I've been considering a Jojo pedal for awhile, especially since the Speed Cobra has been underwhelming.  Bad hoop clamp design and too far off center non-adjustable beater position, useless spring under the footboard making the pedal waayyyy too bouncy.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,431 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011

Can't stand the "Wait" as "It wont be long" till I have this baby waiting for me "When I get home" and move the Speed Cobra ("PS I Love You") over to the woodblock duty. "The long and winding road'  with pedals has been rough, but this "Bad Boy"  looks like it will be one that the "biys" can't argue with. it's really "This Boy" that matters, and surely "I Don't Want to Spoil The Party'  with comments until I am able to play it and either say I love it or tell JO JO to "Get Back". If I really like it I may play it "Eight Days a Week". Other than that. "Tell Me Why" I should look for "Another Girtl" to put my foot on?? "With a Little Help from My Friends" and this pedal, I think I can get by in another "Day in the life".

JPG&R

"Don't Pass Me By"  "Because" "I'm Looking Through You"  "Within You Without You" when "I Should Have Known Better" that  "Every Little Thing" people are saying is I "Dig It". "I'm So Tired" of going on some "Magical Mystery Tour" from "The Night Before" by "The Fool On The Hill" and a "Nowhere Man". So "Please Mr. Postman" send a refund for me, from the "Taxman" for a "Ticket To Ride" that I needed "Long,Long,Long" before "Yesterday".

Note: Most songs in quotes are written by Lennon/McCartney

TopHatJohnny

TopHatJohnny

Master of the TopHat's!!

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

I've been considering a Jojo pedal for awhile, especially since the Speed Cobra has been underwhelming.  Bad hoop clamp design and too far off center non-adjustable beater position, useless spring under the footboard making the pedal waayyyy too bouncy.

What a nice slam on a Great pedal and I guess it's to each their own when talking pedals, drums and everything. The Speed Cobra is a beast of a pedal and once I get the JoJo planted, I will move the SC's to Wood Block & Cow Bell duty as they are GREAT pieces of gear. The review here was just what I was looking for to make a decision and I will be owning the JJ here soon. Still, make no mistake, the Tama Speed Cobra is one Bad ass Pedal and will always keep them around! 

Manicoti

Manicoti

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
Hi all!

I've been using my Jo Jo pedal for close to 6 months now and nothing has changed. I love this pedal!!

TopHatJohnny

TopHatJohnny

Master of the TopHat's!!

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

That's good enough for me!!

PeterK

PeterK

• Gold
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
Has anybody switched from a Pearl Demon Drive to the JoJo pedal? I'm happy with the Pearl but these reviews have me thinking...

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

What a nice slam on a Great pedal and I guess it's to each their own when talking pedals, drums and everything. The Speed Cobra is a beast of a pedal and once I get the JoJo planted, I will move the SC's to Wood Block & Cow Bell duty as they are GREAT pieces of gear. The review here was just what I was looking for to make a decision and I will be owning the JJ here soon. Still, make no mistake, the Tama Speed Cobra is one Bad ass Pedal and will always keep them around! 

I hear you and I think the SC could be great but they missed a few rather important things.  Unless my pedal is defective, I can't see how people could overlook the SC's problems.  If I set mine up so the clamp isn't exactly on the center of the hoop (in an effort to make the beater hit closer to center, which it otherwise won't), the footboard will tilt sideways quite a bit when the clamp is tightened down.  The little swiveling rocker on the clamp is meant to meet the angle of the hoop, but on mine it doesn't,  

I should explain that I have a lefty double pedal, so perhaps Tama didn't mirror the righty design to the lefty pedal... meaning the clamp might not swivel as far to one side as it should.  I notice it swivels much farther to the opposite side than to the side I need it to be, which makes me think they installed that part of the clamp incorrectly for lefty pedals.  

No problem here calling it like I see it.  If you love the SC, more power to ya.  I wish I did.

Edited by Cauldronics, 22 March 2013 - 02:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users