21 replies to this topic

eddiej

eddiej

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  • LocationLower Makefield, PA
Tama Royalstar

Might snag this kit. Is the price out of line? He's making it out to be something of a collector kit.

tamadrm

tamadrm

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,956 posts
  • Locationstaten island ,ny usa
Like he says,they were a limited edition run and finish.Tama only did that satin finish on late 70 superstars I think.I've heard some of those early 80's Royalstars and they do sound really good,and a bit more resonant than Imperialstars who had wrapped 9 ply mahogany shells.Those lugs are pretty rare also.Most Royalstars had a teardrop shaped lug.I'm pretty sure the interiors are stained the same color as the exterior finish.

That kit has been for sale before I think,and one similat to it went for 500 a while back.

Steve B

Edited by tamadrm, 13 October 2012 - 04:51 PM.

lazer

lazer

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,251 posts
  • Locationvancouver bc
those are sure purty... :rolleyes:

thin shell

thin shell

Vintage Mania Sufferer

• Members
  • 2,510 posts
As the seller states, those are Tama's interpretation of the Camco lug. They originally were on the short lived Tama Camco drums. Tama probably had a bunch of those lugs left over and decided to use them up on these drums.

I remember seeing a couple brand new sets of those royalstar kits back in the day in that finish with those lugs and as with all Tama drums, the fit and finish was really nice. Tamadrm is correct in that the interiors are stained the same color as the outside.

megalouse1

megalouse1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Locationvancouver
i think the price is decent...... not a bank breaker. i'd snag them at that price if they came up locally. IMO old tamas are the cat meow

Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
I have had two sets of 82 royalstars in that colour/finish. Both were 7piece and in power depth. I have never seen Royalstars from that vintage in standard depth or with the camco style lugs. I would buy them in a heartbeat if I was in need of a kit. They sure are purty.
I would say they were pretty rare and the price is pretty good
My 2c
Ian

jwaldo

jwaldo

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois
I have that exact kit. Bought them new in '82.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 7,271 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

Like he says,they were a limited edition run and finish.Tama only did that satin finish on late 70 superstars I think.I've heard some of those early 80's Royalstars and they do sound really good,and a bit more resonant than Imperialstars who had wrapped 9 ply mahogany shells.Those lugs are pretty rare also.Most Royalstars had a teardrop shaped lug.I'm pretty sure the interiors are stained the same color as the exterior finish.

That kit has been for sale before I think,and one similat to it went for 500 a while back.

Steve B

Steve,

Wasn't there two separate runs of Royalstar...or am I thinking of Crestar?

I like the BIN. If they actually look as nice as the pics, I think he'd do well to get them.
I yearn for the old standard depths. There never was anything wrong with them.

Elvis

Imposing Will

Imposing Will

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,831 posts
  • LocationEvansville, IN
Those are really nice!! Price seems decent. The old mahogany Tamas are meaty sounding. I LOVED my old Imperialstars, should have kept them.

kaosotis

kaosotis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
IMHO that's a reasonable price. That guy is on the Tama forum and knows his stuff, and I've seen tons of pics of that kit and they seem to be in amazing shape.

Those kits come up once in a while, but his is definitely one of the nicest examples I've seen online, and the price is in line with the other, lesser kits I've seen.

If I had the $ and my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd be all over them.

rikkrebs

rikkrebs

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,085 posts
  • LocationMiddletown Ohio
Looks like a pretty good deal to me....but I don't really keep up on the vintage Tama scene.

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
that`s a good looking set, on my local craigslist recently there was a concert tom set in a blue stain with the interiors matching

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Elvis

Amen, brother. But try to find them today!

Maybe the drum companies were in collusion with the auto makers when they came with all these silly "power" depths, because you needed a bigger vehicle to fit them in.

If my bass drum was deeper than 14", it wouldn't fit in my back seat.

tamadrm

tamadrm

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,956 posts
  • Locationstaten island ,ny usa

Steve B

Steve,

I like the BIN. If they actually look as nice as the pics, I think he'd do well to get them.

Elvis

Tama did make a limited run of Royalstars in brazilian rosewood/mahogany I think 7 or 8 plys,with the more familiar tear drop shaped lugs.Beautiful drums in both appearence and sound. I've only seen them in power sizes,athough as soon as I say that...a standard size kit will pop up.

The Crestar line didn't last long.They were 8 ply birch and replaced by the Grandstars.

Steve B

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,497 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
I am a new fan of the vintage TAMA drums from the 70's and 80's. Those CAMCO lugs are very cool looking on them. If you like them snag 'em TAMA also used the CAMCO name for a while on some of those 80's kits. The price looks fair to me if they are flawless.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 7,271 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

Steve B

Steve,

Elvis

Tama did make a limited run of Royalstars in brazilian rosewood/mahogany I think 7 or 8 plys,with the more familiar tear drop shaped lugs.Beautiful drums in both appearence and sound. I've only seen them in power sizes,athough as soon as I say that...a standard size kit will pop up.

The Crestar line didn't last long.They were 8 ply birch and replaced by the Grandstars.

Steve B

Thanks Steve. Thought my mind was playing tricks on me for a second there. =)

Elvis

kaosotis

kaosotis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Steve B

Steve,

Elvis

Steve B

Crestars were made from 1986-1987 (although I've seen claims they were built after that but I think just for sale in Japan), and they weren't actually replaced by Granstars. Granstars came out first, then Granstar Customs (lacquer not wrap), then the Crestar replaced the Granstar Custom (only the name was different, the drums were identical), then I believe they dropped the Crestar name and the lacquer drums. Eventually, I believe around 89-90) they switched to the Granstar II's (which are not thought of as highly in my opinion) which lasted in to the Mid-90's.

I've seen Granstars listed for sale as 7 ply birch and I know the Crestars were 8 ply, but I've also specifically read that they were both 8 ply birch. So not sure if the early Granstars were 7 ply and then they switched it all over to 8 ply.

That's my understanding of the situation and, if memory serves, what they explained to me in 1986 when I got my Crestars. It's possible that I have the Crestar/Granstar Custom sequence reversed, but I don't believe so.

Edited by kaosotis, 14 October 2012 - 08:56 PM.

ObiWan

ObiWan

Hillbilly Drummist

• Members
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationSW Missouri
That is a Drop-Dead Cool kit...and the price is very fair considering their excellent condition!

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Elvis

Amen, brother. But try to find them today!

Maybe the drum companies were in collusion with the auto makers when they came with all these silly "power" depths, because you needed a bigger vehicle to fit them in.

If my bass drum was deeper than 14", it wouldn't fit in my back seat.

Someone cue the "X-Files" theme song. ;)

Seriously, you can't go wrong with early-80s Tamas. I've got some standard-sized Superstars that kick a$$ and take names.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 7,271 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.
You can't go wrong with ANYTHING from the late 70's/early 80's.
my old CB-700 kit was from the late 70's and even it didn't sound all that bad.

Elvis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users