- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
How many times do you read a thread where the new owner of a drum set would love to know their history but there is no information. I have the opposite problem with this set. There is so much material that it is difficult to make sense of it all.
This is a first attempt to construct a pictorial history of Dave Clark’s English Rogers Red Sparkle drum kit. I have mercilessly borrowed photos from all over the place for this.
A thank you to John Briggs from www.thedc5.com forum for photos and information and Jason Atkins of http://www.thedc5collector.com for lots of these photos.
Before we get onto the Rogers kit, a little preamble just to set the scene.
This is a photo courtesy of JB, of the first performance of the Dave Clark Quintet, 25th October 1957 at Library Hall, Cissbury Road, Tottenham.

Posted Image

My guess, based on nothing but the shape of the hi-hat stand is that this is a single-headed Ajax kit.
An old friend of DC’s tells me that in the beginning Dc had a mongrel kit with a Ludwig snare which he was very fond of. The drummer who he most admired both for his technique and his place as the focus of the band was Gene Krupa.
This next photo is an appearance at The Tottenham Carnival.

Posted Image

The drum kit is probably the Trixon kit in the following photo.

Posted Image

Also seen here in approx. 1960.

http://www.californi...-clark-five.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Probably the same kit, DC used Premier/Olympic stands with this Trixon kit including one cymbal stand.
This ……………..

Posted Image

………………. is a promotional picture from when the now familiar line-up were with the Pye/Piccadilly label in 1962. DC has changed his kit for another Trixon, and has a more sophisticated logo on his bass drum head. Notice the incline of the logo – more on that later.

http://www.trixondru...xon/trix324.htm

And from the same shoot ……………….

Posted Image

DC had been using this kit for some time as it can be seen here with a previous line-up of the group.

Posted Image

I’m not sure what to make of the next photo. Again it is the same Trixon set but is it staged?

Posted Image

Interestingly around this period The DC5 meet The Beatles for the first time on an episode of Thank Your Lucky Stars (TV show).

Posted Image

http://www.thedc5.com/tvtyls.html

Edited by Nutbox, 26 October 2012 - 07:19 AM.

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
I would guess that the next photo is a TV shoot for Do You Love Me or Glad All Over. Do You Love Me was released at the end of 1963. DC is still using his Trixons, but notice that he has a Rogers cymbal stand with the kit, and possibly a Rogers hi-hat stand as well, although the pic. is not clear enough to tell. When DC gave his ER kit away he was quoted in the Melody Maker as saying that he had used them to record Glad All Over and Bits and Pieces. He didn’t mention Do you Love Me, so possibly he used the Trixons for this, (although there is some debate as to who played on the recordings).

Studying all the photos to come it is clear that The DC5 made quite a few films of themselves miming to their latest recording. These shoots also acted as an opportunity to have stills taken as well. The above would appear to be one of these occasions.

Posted Image

The band struck this kind of pose performing Glad All Over as well.

His Red Sparkle ER kit has serial numbers which date the drums to around September 1963. It may be that DC’s ER kit is being custom produced and he has come away from the factory with a hi-hat stand and cymbal stand, or maybe he has to sort out his contract with Vox/Trixon before he can appear with the Rogers drums (more later).

American swiv-o-matic stands were a more expensive option available when you bought your English Rogers kit. They were around twice the price of an Ajax stand.

Posted Image

From now on we are taking about DC’s Red Sparkle English Rogers kit unless specified otherwise. Below is one of the first photos of DC with his new Rogers drum kit. This is probably late 1963. Notice that there is only one cymbal stand. DC has only used one cymbal with all his kits up to this point. This will change very soon, but for now he still has just one cymbal sitting on a Rogers cymbal stand. This photo is a candidate for The DC5’s appearance on Top Of The Pops 1st Jan’64 but was probably filmed before that date (more later).

Posted Image

DC has his bass drum logo on an inclined angle. Probably as a hang-over from having had Trixon sets up to this point. When he returns from America his Rogers logo is in the proper orientation - horizontal.

That brings us to The DC5’s appearances on Ready Steady Go. RSG was broadcast from August 1963 until December 1966. Produced by Associated-Rediffusion the show was eventually networked nationally. The show was recorded at small studios in Rediffusion's headquarters in Kingsway, London. As the studios were compact, it was not possible to hide cameras which instead were sometimes incorporated into the action. The show appears to have begun with a very small budget as this well documented appearance by The Beatles on 4th October 1963 would seem to show.

Posted Image

The show had been running only a few weeks when The Beatles first appeared and the lack of any scenery or backdrop is quite evident.

Posted Image

The show used moveable staging in 3 or 4 regular locations in the studio. After studying a number of photos from the show it is easy to build up a picture of the layout of the studio.
The DC5 first appeared on RSG on 8th November 1963 and then again on 13th December 1963.
I believe these series of photos to be from those dates. This would be one of the first appearances of DC with his new drums.

Posted Image
This photo is taken with The DC5 in the same location as the Beatles in the photos above. The backdrop is as sparse as it was for The Fab Four. It is this, and the single cymbal, that leads me to the conclusion that this photo, and the ones that follow, are from Nov/Dec 1963.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nutbox, 26 October 2012 - 07:08 AM.

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The photo below is again in the RSG studio at around the same time, but with the stage in a different location.

Posted Image

The DC5 appeared on an episode of RSG on 31st December 1963. This is a photo catching some horse-play during rehearsals.

Posted Image

On stage are Alan Freeman, Patrick Kerr (presenter), Kenny Lynch (guest) and setting up the drums it looks like DC.
The following day, 1st January 1964, the DC5 appeared on the very first Top of the Pops broadcast from Manchester. The first six episodes were intended as a pilot so no recording was made, but it became the longest running music show in TV history running for over 42 years. I would assume that DC was using his Rogers kit on this show. Although it may be that they did not appear in person especially as they had been on RSG the previous night and would then have had to be in Manchester on New Years Day.
The oldest surviving clip from TOTPs 19th February 1964 is this …………………

This was a film insert from the show. This clip was replayed on Juke Box Jury which is why David Jacobs appears at the end.
Note that there is only one cymbal and I can’t see any bass drum anchor. It is to be expected that the film was shot a few weeks earlier than when it was broadcast. By the time it was broadcast DC’s bass drum had been modified, but the film shows that this has yet to be done.
Confusingly the bass drum logo is horizontal – an anomaly I can’t reconcile. It is the only occasion that his logo appears horizontally in the period up until their first trip to America in March 1964.

This is an example of one of The DC5’s “music videos” from this period, late 63/ early 64.

There is a clip of an audience in the middle of this recording which appears to have been spliced in there.
At around the turn of the year DC added a second cymbal to his set-up. This film shows DC has two cymbals, but no mods to the bass drum which gives us early (Jan/Feb) 64.

Posted Image
However the second cymbal stand was not Rogers some photos show it to be very definitely an Ajax one, made by Boosey and Hawkes who made his English Rogers drums, but in other photos it looks like the Premier/Olympic stand that he used with his Trixon set.

Posted Image
We can imagine DC approaching B&H to ask for a second cymbal stand and they perhaps didn’t have any available, so he ended up with an Ajax one. This was remedied when after just a few months The DC5 went to America. After that DC is never seen again with the Ajax or Premier/Olympic stand.

Posted Image
The next series of photos are all from this couple of months (January/February 1964) when DC has his Ajax stand. I can’t say which shows these are from, and they were quite possibly recording for “music videos”. There are two backgrounds but the staging is the same so these were probably shot in the same studio.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sometime between New Years Eve 1963 and The DC5’s appearance on Sunday Night at the London Palladium on 9th Feb 1964 DC’s bass drum was modified to contain flashing lights, and an anchor added to the bass drum. The anchor required the drilling of four holes in the front bass drum hoop and therefore became a permanent fixture.

That DC had lights in his bass drum can be seen in this later video with a later kit.

Lights can be seen flashing both in the bass drum and the floor tom tom.

Sunday Night at the London Palladium was a very popular show in the 1960s and as said The DC5 appeared on 9th Feb 1964.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The bass drum anchor can be clearly seen below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The following Friday evening, 14th February 1964, British Pathe News recorded this film of the DC5.

The DC5 were appearing at The Royal in Tottenham, one of their old haunts. There are many photos of this performance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Below are couple of interesting promo photos for Vox/Trixon. The DC5 had a contract with Vox/Trixon, in that they would be seen in photo shoots with Vox/Trixon equipment even if that is not what they would necessarily use on stage.
Posted Image

Posted Image

This looks like the same Trixon kit that DC appears to have used since some time in 1962. He has a two cymbal stands, a Premier/Olympic stand to his right, but notice the Rogers cymbal stand and hi-hat stand to his left. The presence of the Rogers stands and the Premier/Olympic cymbal stand I would say dates these photos to very early (Jan/Feb) 1964.

Edited by Nutbox, 26 October 2012 - 07:11 AM.

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
It would appear that DC managed to negotiate a deal with Vox/Trixon that allowed him to be seen with his new Rogers set – even in their own advertising! Note that the bass drum has had the Rogers logo blanked out. The photo is from 14th Feb. 1964 as seen above..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Below is a photo from very early (Jan/Feb)1964. There is no modification to the bass drum and DC has two cymbals and his Ajax stand.

Posted Image

As is this ………….

Posted Image

Note the extra low collet plate on the 13x9 tom tom in these two photos.

We can’t see the modifications but this would appear to be from after they were made due to the cable entering the floor tom.

Posted Image

Getting back to RSG - by March 1964 RSG were making more effort with their backdrops. The stage is in the same location as for The Beatles previous appearance.

Posted Image

1964 saw The DC5 appear on RSG on these dates (Note that DC now has two Rogers cymbal stands and his Rogers logo is now horizontal).

21st Feb – Bits & Pieces
15th May – Cann’t You See That She’s Mine
12th June – Cann’t You See That She’s Mine
9th October
23rd October – Anyway You Want It
31st December
And in 1965
22nd January – Everybody Knows
26th February – Reelin’ & Rockin’
19th March - Reelin’ & Rockin’

14th May – Come Home
9th July – Catch Us If You Can
29th October – Over and Over
31st December
These are photos from RSG but I can’t put a date to them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nutbox, 26 October 2012 - 07:12 AM.

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
Below is a photo of DC’s drum kit on RSG which is either 15th May 1964 when the line-up was –
--The Dave Clark Five - "Can't You See That She's Mine?"
--The Hollies - "Here I Go Again."
--Eden Kane
--Susan Maughan
--The Pretty Things
--The Andree Silver
--The Monotones

Or 14th May 1965
-The Hollies
--The Kinks - "Set Me Free" and "Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight."
--Sandie Shaw - "Long Live Love."
--The Spencer Davis Group - possibly "Strong Love."
--The Dave Clark Five - "Come Home."

Posted Image

Again the extra-low collet plate can be seen on the 13x9 tom.
Appearances on other shows I can’t date.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Was this their white jacket period?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sometime in 1965 DC changed his front bass drum head – note the much smaller Rogers logo.

Posted Image
Possibly DC’s final appearance with his Red Sparkle English Rogers was on RSG 31st December 1965. The episode was entitled “The New Year Starts Here”.

Posted Image

The line-up was as follows –
THE NEW YEAR STARTS HERE (Special New Years Show) ITV network from 10:52 pm until midnight (or until close-down).

Introduced by Keith Fordyce and Cathy McGowan

Guests:
The Animals
Dave Berry
The Dave Clark Five – “Reelin' & Rockin”.
The Kinks – “Well Respected Man”.
Kenny Lynch
The Rolling Stones - "Satisfaction" & "Get Off Of My Cloud."
The Searchers - "Take Me For What I'm Worth."
Dusty Springfield
The Who - "I Can't Explain." and “My Generation”.
Chris Andrews - "Girl Don't Come."
Tom Jones - "Chills And Fever."
Lulu - "Shout."

Also guesting, but not credited, Alfie Bass and Bill Fraser (Bootsie and Snudge) miming to The Righteous Brothers hit single "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"

I have photos of The Who and The Rolling Stones using DC’s drum kit. It is quite possible given the size of the studio that all the groups used the same stage and the same kit. That means there will be photos somewhere of The Kinks and The Animals and The searchers using the kit as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mikes keyboard and Lenny’s guitar in the background.

Cardboard bass drum logo about to fall off the drum.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As we know the competition to win these drums was announced in The Melody Maker on 29th January 1966 and presented on 20th March 1966.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nutbox, 26 October 2012 - 07:06 AM.

Archt

Archt

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationCape Cod, MA
Amazing! Great photos and history. I'm not so sure the white kit in the first few photos is a Trixon.
I enjoyed the article on the side of the newspaper clipping "Hollies disliked Poland" I traveled to Poland many times in the 90's and in the early part of the decade it was like flying into a grey depression. It turned around pretty quickly though.
Very enjoyable thanks for the post.

wayne

wayne

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,066 posts
Thank you so much for the show. It confirms why i started drumming, it was Daves influence by far. One thing i noticed was that he was not camera shy at all. In fact it looks like Dave was al;ways front and center and his name seemed to be everywhere!!

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
Great pictoral history of your drums! Love it.

Bun Carlos

Bun Carlos

Pro

• Platinum
  • 1,997 posts
  • LocationCaledonia, Illinois
Fascinating. A million thanks for posting!

kluger

kluger

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • Locationpittsburgh
Investigative reporting at its finest. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

lazer

lazer

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,235 posts
  • Locationvancouver bc
a nice trip down memory lane ,thanks !! :occasion5:

blackonyx

blackonyx

• Double Platinum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLafayette, Indiana
What an amazing photo collection, and a great history! Thanks for sharing!

GiantBeater

GiantBeater

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Hours later I have come to the last picture of your post. THANK YOU for posting, awesome pictures all around.

tamadrm

tamadrm

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,953 posts
  • Locationstaten island ,ny usa
That was the best thing I've seen in a while.A page out of rock n roll history,and a few pieces out of the songbook of my life.I love the British invasion stuff,and the DC 5 were close to the top of that list.

I just re- watched their induction into the RRHF with Tom Hanks presenting, Joan Jet,John Fogerty,John Mellencamp,the Fab Faux and a few others doing the honors.

Steve B

Edited by tamadrm, 26 October 2012 - 12:54 PM.

DanC

DanC

Workin' on a chain gang...

• Members
  • 11,573 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
A very nice piece of work, thanks for all the photos and history!

I'm always curious about the lack of amps, cords, cables in photos of the DC5 at live venues. We all know that wireless hadn't even been thought of back then, and the videos are always backed by an album track instead of live sound. Did they ever actually play for real in front of a live audience? I have never seen any evidence of that. That recorded sound was probably impossible to produce live, and Dave probably refused to let the band sound any different from the recordings. I noticed that even back in the 60's when I watched them on tv. I had played those albums to death and was familiar with every nuance and wrinkle on each track, and when watching them on Ed Sullivan etc it was always obvious to me that they were lip-synched. I must admit, it always made me suspicious, even though I loved that music. And the lack of recorded live evidence fueled rumors of Dave not being on those tracks. I guess we'll never know for sure....maybe it was Bernard Purdie.

Nutbox

Nutbox

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationU.K.

A very nice piece of work, thanks for all the photos and history!

I'm always curious about the lack of amps, cords, cables in photos of the DC5 at live venues. We all know that wireless hadn't even been thought of back then, and the videos are always backed by an album track instead of live sound. Did they ever actually play for real in front of a live audience? I have never seen any evidence of that. That recorded sound was probably impossible to produce live, and Dave probably refused to let the band sound any different from the recordings. I noticed that even back in the 60's when I watched them on tv. I had played those albums to death and was familiar with every nuance and wrinkle on each track, and when watching them on Ed Sullivan etc it was always obvious to me that they were lip-synched. I must admit, it always made me suspicious, even though I loved that music. And the lack of recorded live evidence fueled rumors of Dave not being on those tracks. I guess we'll never know for sure....maybe it was Bernard Purdie.

From what I understand they would often play live over a backing track. I think I remember Lenny Davidson was quoited somewhere as saying that this track was sometimes recorded at a local studio or was the original recording but didn't contain all the parts on the record. They would then perform over it.

My understanding is that they were a very popular live band. The DC5 won an award for their live performances. "The DC5, for about 18 months before we ever made records, was a very popular "live" band. We got a Gold Cup for being the "Best Live Band in Britain." They were on the Mecca circuit of dance halls apparently when this happened.

This is claimed to be live recording from the TV using an old tape machine of the Sunday Night at The London Palladium show that I included photos of above. The house orchestra and singers appear to join in at times. It sounds genuine to me.

The presenter talking to DC is Bruce Forsyth, still a popular TV personality - Lord help us! He is the one with the floor toms in the pic with DC.

Edited by Nutbox, 26 October 2012 - 05:05 PM.

drummertom

drummertom

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationBoston
Fantastic post! Great research and thanks for sharing it here.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,389 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Fantastic selection of photos! Very Cool.

in the interest of completeness...What did Dave Clark play after they gave away the red sparkle set?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users