Photo

"Longer" 7A drumsticks - any suggestions?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

barryabko

barryabko

• Gold
  • 457 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA USA
Hi All,

I've been using Zildjian Hal Blaine signature sticks for a while. They are are 7As at 15.25" long and .5" diameter. I like them very much but I'd like to try a longer stick at about the same thickness or maybe a little thinner. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Barry

Edited by barryabko, 18 December 2012 - 02:48 AM.

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,982 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
The Vater Manhattan 7A's. I haven't played them recently, but they used to be close to 16" long.

Keeper John

Keeper John

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,702 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY
From the Vic Firth website...

American Classic® 7A
Tear drop tip. Perfect for light jazz and combo.
L = 15 1/2" | Dia. = .540" [enlarge photo]

American Classic® 8D
Like the 7A‚ with a bit more reach.
L = 16" | Dia. = .540"

I love these sticks.

Edited by Keeper John, 17 December 2012 - 03:42 PM.

brhythm

brhythm

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
  • LocationMaine
Vic Firth 8As. They're a 7a diameter with a 5a length.

Mrtboner

Mrtboner

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
The Vic firth Steve Jordan sticks might fit the bill. I love them

Mrtboner

Mrtboner

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

AnthonyQ

AnthonyQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNew York
Vater Manhattan 7As. Theyre the same diameter as any normal 7a just a half inch longer. I play them and love em

Hope that helps

& You Dont Stop

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85

• Members
  • 1,896 posts
  • LocationWichita Falls, Texas
Vic Firth Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson (SAT)
With 17" in length and an extended taper‚ this stick can really crack! Features our anti-slip Vic Grip coating in black for a distinctive look and feel.

L = 17" | Dia. = .520"

Doof

Doof

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario
My regular stick is the Firth 8D, but I have tried the Vater Manhattan 7A's, they are very close. The shoulder of the Vater tapers a little too thin for more agressive playing. That why I prefer the 8D.

Edited by Doof, 17 December 2012 - 05:04 PM.

daysleeper

daysleeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
I'm not 100% positive about this, but I believe that the Pro Mark Jazz sticks are 7A diameter and 5A length.

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationStL
I don't know if they're made anymore ... 3 Drumsticks. The 7a's are 16.25" long.

5 Style

5 Style

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • LocationSE Portland, Oregon

My regular stick is the Firth 8D, but I have tried the Vater Manhattan 7A's, they are very close. The shoulder of the Vater tapers a little too thin for more agressive playing. That why I prefer the 8D.

That's the stick that I really like. I thought that these were just a bit heavier though than 7As. I could be wrong though. They're fairly light, but for when I want something even lighter, I go with Peter Erskine sticks which are just a bit lighter, but with the very small round tips, they feel lighter as they're easier to control the volume. Lighter than that, I go with Vater Sugar Maple Jazz sticks which are made of lighter weight wood. 8Ds are as heavy as I like to play with, though still on the light side. They're my "rock" stick... whatever the weight, I don't like 'em too short... just feels weird to me as far as the balance goes.

thin shell

thin shell

Vintage Mania Sufferer

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Yep. I just started using these. They are perfect for me.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
The Pro Mark Jazz are the old Elvin Jones sticks. 7a with the extra length. For a lighter stick, I like Innovate Percussion's Ed Soph stick. Available in hickory and maple for lighter playing.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
Innovative.

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 26,145 posts
it always amazes me of all the stick options that we have as drummers. i wish someone would compile a complete master list of all the brands, sizes, lengths, diameters and so forth. it sure would be helpful. i love long,thin light sticks. most times i go with a recommendation that i read here and try them. its been fun that way. i still buy a ton of vintage sticks to try as well. my daughter bought me a vintage stick bag full of sticks and brushes for my birthday last week. they are superb!!

mike

Little b

Little b

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, BC Canada
My regular use sticks are the Vic Firth Extreme 5AN (9/16" Dia / 16 1/2" Length). For lighter work I use the Vater Manhattan 7A Hickory (1/2" Dia / 16 1/8" Length).

barryabko

barryabko

• Gold
  • 457 posts
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments and recommendations! Keep them coming please.

Barry

barryabko

barryabko

• Gold
  • 457 posts

The Pro Mark Jazz are the old Elvin Jones sticks. 7a with the extra length. For a lighter stick, I like Innovate Percussion's Ed Soph stick. Available in hickory and maple for lighter playing.

Hey Tommy,

I do have a couple of pair of the Elvin Jones Jazz model. I know I've used them in the past as one pair has a fair amount of use and I found a very chewed up single stick from a third pair. I'll try them again but while using them for a few minutes this evening it seems that I've become more used to the small tip of the Zildjian Hal Blaine's. The only downside of that model is that they tend not to hold up very well - and I am not a hard hitter. Just about all of the other 7A style sticks In my collection have much bigger tips. I'll try the Elvin Jones for my practice session tomorrow and see what I think.

Thanks,

Barry

gwbasley

gwbasley

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 947 posts
  • LocationHoliday, Florida
Regal Tip Jazz
16" X .5"
I like the nylon tip but it comes both ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users