Photo

Intermediate Drum Kit pool

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Intermediate Drum Kit

what drum kit should i buy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

blackmail

blackmail

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Locationbuenos aires

hi, first, sorry for my english, its not my native language.

ive been druming for 10 years, then i had to sell my kit to move in with my gf, i havent had drums for 8 years, and now its time to get back to this wonderfull world.

i have several choices and i dont know what to buy.

the prices are expressed in the currency of my country so you have an idea of what kit is more expensive or cheaper.

all the kits are 5 pieces exept the ludwig that is 6 pieces
- Tama Silverstar Custom (Birch) $9850
- Sonor Essential Force (Birch) $9600
- Mapex Meridian (Birch) $9000
- Ludwig Element + free tom (Marbled birch) $9000
- PDP M5 (Maple) $9100
- other

by the way, whats the difference beetween the regular birch and the marbled birch?

thanks all and sorry for my english.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.

Don't worry about your English.  You're doing better than a lot of my friends that English IS their 1st language. 

I am going to pick one on the list and one that's not on the list.  The Tama Silverstar is a great sounding kit, regardless of the money. 

Also, the Gretsch Catalina Maple.  Although the Catalina Maple is not my favorite  snare drum, the bass drum and toms sound wonderful.  They are even house drums at 3 different recording studios in Nashville, TN.  (Parkland, CTM and Mainframe.)  I don't know how much they would go for where you are, but they are about the same price here, and you get a 14 and 16 floor tom with the Catalina Maples.  Can't go wrong with the Silverstars, either.  Nice drums, and a more versatile snare.  Good luck!

blackmail

blackmail

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Locationbuenos aires

Don't worry about your English.  You're doing better than a lot of my friends that English IS their 1st language. 

I am going to pick one on the list and one that's not on the list.  The Tama Silverstar is a great sounding kit, regardless of the money. 

Also, the Gretsch Catalina Maple.  Although the Catalina Maple is not my favorite  snare drum, the bass drum and toms sound wonderful.  They are even house drums at 3 different recording studios in Nashville, TN.  (Parkland, CTM and Mainframe.)  I don't know how much they would go for where you are, but they are about the same price here, and you get a 14 and 16 floor tom with the Catalina Maples.  Can't go wrong with the Silverstars, either.  Nice drums, and a more versatile snare.  Good luck!

thanks for your reply, the Catalina is on the same price range, but it comes without hardware, and buy the hardware separately take it right out of my budget.

Rudy Mints

Rudy Mints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationDeep In The Heart of Indiana

What kind of music / gigs are you going to use these drums for?

Regards, Gary

psyched

psyched

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

If you're buying with hardware, Tama has a reputation for solid stuff (though no modern manufacturer is going to have terrible hardware). I have two Silverstar kits and am pleased with both, but had been looking at Mapex kits for a while too. Don't rule out Yamahas, either (particularly Stage Customs), and their hardware is well respected. For what it's worth, I gig the Silverstar kits with all-Yamaha hardware.

blackmail

blackmail

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Locationbuenos aires

What kind of music / gigs are you going to use these drums for?

Regards, Gary

Rock, metal, fusion, jazz (hopefully if sometime i get to be good enough), etc. i need a versatile kit.

If you're buying with hardware, Tama has a reputation for solid stuff (though no modern manufacturer is going to have terrible hardware). I have two Silverstar kits and am pleased with both, but had been looking at Mapex kits for a while too. Don't rule out Yamahas, either (particularly Stage Customs), and their hardware is well respected. For what it's worth, I gig the Silverstar kits with all-Yamaha hardware.

Yamaha is out of the question, cant get them new here and the used ones are too expensive.

thanks both for your answers.

Edited by blackmail, 25 March 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Sticks4drums

Sticks4drums

Advanced Snr. Member

• Banned
  • 833 posts
  • LocationCanada

I am sorry for going outside of your choices, but with the new Saturn IV arriving soon, the older generation can be had for almost what you are going to pay for an intermdiate kit.  Instead you will have a pro level kit, that you will not need to upgrade!  

madsplash

madsplash

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Pearl Vision Birch.

You can never go wrong with Pearl's quality. Unsurpassed.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 6,502 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

My choice would be the Ludwig Element SE, since the Yamaha Stage Customs are not on your radar.

Edited by RickP, 25 March 2013 - 12:55 PM.

Pontiac Rich

Pontiac Rich

For Bongo :(

• Double Platinum
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationMaine

Welcome to the forums and back to the world of drumming.  Your english is just fine!!

I'd go with the Ludwigs.  You'll probably notice all the different answers point you in different directions, that's because some of us are pretty attached to one particular drum manufacturer.

However, the Ludwig 6-piece is the best bang ( :laughing6:) per drum for the dollars you are going to spend.

Have you thought of buying on-line?  I know the shipping will be very high, but I just looked up the Ludwig Element 6 piece  birch for $749 US which I believe equates to around $3900 in your currency.  Just something to consider.

Edited by Pontiac Rich, 25 March 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Sticks4drums

Sticks4drums

Advanced Snr. Member

• Banned
  • 833 posts
  • LocationCanada

You'll probably notice all the different answers point you in different directions, that's because some of us are pretty attached to one particular frum manufacturer

Which is why I would never come on a dum site and ask for opinions on which kit I should buy!  Go out and try them yourself.  Everyone makes good drums nowadays.  Go pic the one that speaks to you, not to us!  

blackmail

blackmail

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Locationbuenos aires

I am sorry for going outside of your choices, but with the new Saturn IV arriving soon, the older generation can be had for almost what you are going to pay for an intermdiate kit.  Instead you will have a pro level kit, that you will not need to upgrade!  

probably in the us and europe, but the saturn iv wont be arriving here for quite some time after its release, we dont get the "new" things soon and the prices are set accordingly

Pearl Vision Birch.

You can never go wrong with Pearl's quality. Unsurpassed.

what model do you recomend?, because the VBL comes without hardware and i need the hardware.

My choice would be the Ludwig Element SE, since the Yamaha Stage Customs are not on your radar.

do you know the difference (in sound) beetween the regular birch and the marbled birch from the ludwig?

Welcome to the forums and back to the world of drumming.  Your english is just fine!!

I'd go with the Ludwigs.  You'll probably notice all the different answers point you in different directions, that's because some of us are pretty attached to one particular drum manufacturer.

However, the Ludwig 6-piece is the best bang ( :laughing6:) per drum for the dollars you are going to spend.

Have you thought of buying on-line?  I know the shipping will be very high, but I just looked up the Ludwig Element 6 piece  birch for $749 US which I believe equates to around $3900 in your currency.  Just something to consider.

do you know the difference (in sound) beetween the regular birch and the marbled birch from the ludwig?.

i cant buy something that big and expensive online, the taxes i would have to pay to the argentine gobernment are huge, and plus the shipping, it end up costing more than what it cost here. Beside i coudnt use the warranty (or it will be very hard and expensive).

You'll probably notice all the different answers point you in different directions, that's because some of us are pretty attached to one particular frum manufacturer

Which is why I would never come on a dum site and ask for opinions on which kit I should buy!  Go out and try them yourself.  Everyone makes good drums nowadays.  Go pic the one that speaks to you, not to us!  

here in buenos aires, its really hard to find a place where they let you try the drums, and if you find it, it probably doesnt have what you are looking for.

thanks to all for the answers, keep em comming!

Edited by blackmail, 25 March 2013 - 02:03 PM.

psyched

psyched

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

do you know the difference (in sound) beetween the regular birch and the marbled birch from the ludwig?.

This is sort of a guess, but the difference in sound will be inconsequential, or at least nothing that a different head choice or tuning wouldn't trump.

I have no idea what the used market may be like in Argentina, but don't limit your options to only new kits. You'd probably want to get new heads anyway to replace what comes on most intermediate kits, so your dollar might go farther on a used kit. Even if you're looking for hardware, you might get lucky on a shell pack and then be back here asking about hardware packs. :)

rikkrebs

rikkrebs

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
  • LocationMiddletown Ohio

Truthfully....all those kits are about the same. I think any of them would be a good choice. Just find one you really like.

blackmail

blackmail

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Locationbuenos aires

Truthfully....all those kits are about the same. I think any of them would be a good choice. Just find one you really like.

if all of them are about the same then should i pick the ludwig that came with an extra tom?

im curious about the pdp m5 being so cheap since it is a maple kit.

Edited by blackmail, 26 March 2013 - 06:17 PM.

noahJT

noahJT

prone to DFO-UI

• Platinum
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I've logged a lot of time behind PDP M5s and not once have I ever felt that I was playing a budget kit. FS series, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users