Photo

Which Ludwig Bass Drum Spur is Better: Vintage Curved or Gull Wing Spurs?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

budrock

budrock

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationWilmington, North Carolina

I have  60's and 70's vintage Ludwig kits and a few late model Ludwig kits.. I gig with all of them. Gull Wings and Curved spurs set and don't budge or creep. Never had a problem.

crash

crash

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo,Ca

Haven't had many problems with bass drums moving. My problem's been the gul wings collapsing and letting the bass list. I do use a rail mount, and a cymbal arm. I'm sure the extra weight of those are a contributing factor. But, because of that, I prefer the arcs. They don't budge!

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,387 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Between the two I prefer the curved spurs. I can deal with the gull wings if I have to but the curved ones are easier to get set for me. I prefer the modern fold down style spur to either of those older designs though. I would never retro fit the new stuff onto an old set but if I were buying new I wouldn't get either of those designs over the modern fold outs unless I were wanting to replicate a vintage set.

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 26,066 posts

ko

i just put together another drum( from mostly bare shell) with the old wfl style spurs like frank showed in his post. you sent me some rubber tips for my first one and you must have sent me an extra pair. worked like a charm on my new drum. the tips are smaller than usual. thanks!

mike

Attached Files

Peter56

Peter56

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

ko

i just put together another drum( from mostly bare shell) with the old wfl style spurs like frank showed in his post. you sent me some rubber tips for my first one and you must have sent me an extra pair. worked like a charm on my new drum. the tips are smaller than usual. thanks!

mike

Nice lookin` drum Mike!

I`ve had sets with both gull and arc and never had a problem with either.

BRIAN

BRIAN

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 600 posts

Love both styles, really loving my current setup though with 2 sets of large arc spurs on a 16"x 24" Superclassic. It really gives it a great sound being pretty much isolated.........LOUD or soft..................it can go from BOOM to boom in one split second

Patrick

Patrick

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

All the gull wing problems noted ring for me as well. That said, I put gull wings back on my old luddies (removing the Pearl's and filling the holes). The drum is much less stable now (tipping and slipping and sliding) than with the removed Pearl's. But the gull wings suit the kit and its vintage.

So I added some iso feet to the tips of the gull wings, that solved the slipping and sliding. The lateral tipping I will live with.

MonkeyGrass

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC (when I'm home!)

Man, I'm telling you guys - get some upgraded eyebolts from grumpy!!  It totally eliminates any listing or tilting.  Add the ISO feet and the thing will not move.  

Total cost - around $6 for a stable, period correct looking set of spurs.

antipodes

antipodes

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
While you're all here, I'm after a pair of the earlier thinner spurs (for a Camco project) - could be Ludwig, could be after market, whatever. If so, PM me.

RyanR

RyanR

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,544 posts
  • LocationAthens, OH

From the 59 Ludwig catalog... #1305 shell mount folding spurs had an allen head screw that would lock the spur into a pre-adjusted position when folded out... That eliminated having to adjust the spurs each time to the correct angle...

My '57 WFL has these. Love them. With a modern Gibraltar anchor clipped to the hoop (set to crutch tip) My bass drum doesn't go anywhere.

FWIW, on '60's Ludwig's, you can just swap in 1216D brackets and then use memory locks.

Next time I order a new bass drum from Ludwig, I'll probably do the gull wing thing myself.

-Ryan

samsdrum

samsdrum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS

Gull wing gets my vote. The curved work fine but I tend to either kick them, trip or whatever on them when moving around the kit setting up cymbal stands and such. I like my ride stand close to my bass drum and I always have to rig the leg under or over the curved spur. The gull wings seem to stay out of my way better. I never experience slippage using either. I like the look of gull wing better as well.

ludwignut

ludwignut

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationBoston,Mass.

I have both types .Never had a problem with either even when I was a teen and in my 20s playing Metal with my Octoplus set . It depends on how you set up the spurs ,making sure that you don't abuse the mounts such as tightening the wingnuts tighter than they have to be . Make sure you have a carpet so that the spurs can dig into something . Make sure the mounts are in good working order to begin with .

Rob

Nick

Nick

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • LocationMelbourne/Australia

I like the thin curved ones the best and the Gull wing ones are cool to...never had a problem with either of them.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,337 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

When I got my Ludwig set '72 era, it had already had a repair on one of the curved spurs. The thin 3 ply shell had cracked so another wood ply was added in the spur area, and it was placed back in there. I have had to spend time adjusting them, and I placed a Ludwig front hoop mount spur on the front of the drum. Both types of spurs have their plusses and minuses. 

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 26,066 posts

Man, I'm telling you guys - get some upgraded eyebolts from grumpy!!  It totally eliminates any listing or tilting.  Add the ISO feet and the thing will not move.  

Total cost - around $6 for a stable, period correct looking set of spurs.

another thumbs up here for grumpy! i recently bought a 60's rail consolette. both of those 5/16 nuts with the 7/16 wrench head were stripped badly. he hooked me right up!

mike

MonkeyGrass

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC (when I'm home!)

From the 59 Ludwig catalog... #1305 shell mount folding spurs had an allen head screw that would lock the spur into a pre-adjusted position when folded out... That eliminated having to adjust the spurs each time to the correct angle...

FWIW, on '60's Ludwig's, you can just swap in 1216D brackets and then use memory locks.

Next time I order a new bass drum from Ludwig, I'll probably do the gull wing thing myself.

-Ryan

The memory locks won't work on stock gull wings... There isn't enough length to attach the memory lock to, once it's inserted into the bracket.  The Ludwig 9.5mm memory locks are about 1/2" wide, and there is less than 1/4" on either side of the bass drum spurs.  I think one member here was barely able to get them to fit, but has to remove the legs every time he packs up the drum, because they won't fold back down with the lock installed.

BiggA

BiggA

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNY

I had a '63 14x22 super classic bass drum with dual 9x13 toms mounted.  The kit came with gull-wing spurs and I had trouble keeping them tight.  They wanted to fold up (away from the shell) with the weight of the two toms.  I added a pair of disappearing spurs in the shell, on the batter side, behind the gull-wings and this kept the stability in check by using them both.  The look was pretty trick as well. 

Vipercussionist

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary

• Members
  • 4,735 posts
  • LocationRhode Island, USA

Spurs are made to hold yer bass drum from tippin' over, not so much for the drum creepin'.
Use velcro on yer pedal, if the pedal is unmovable, and the kick is clamped to the pedal, how can the kick move???
I prefer the curved spurs, far more sturdy right out of the box, no mods needed.
The curved spurs also get that front hoop off'a the floor, I HATE that the 1950's/60's gull-wings didn't give enough length to combat that.
The 59 Gull-Wings on the other hand are pretty awesome. Set up in a flash, and if adjusted, they'll never open wider without breaking them!!!
I've taken some 59's and flipped the mount end over to gain height, worked like a charm!!

ron pangborn

ron pangborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Another vote for gull wings. Never had a problem with them. I've had the shell mounts crack on me on both the thin and thicker late 70's style curved spurs.

Edited by ron pangborn, 11 June 2013 - 06:03 PM.

critterkllr

critterkllr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
I'm a recent vintage convert and was convinced my 60's Ludwig gull wing spurs would creep when first setting it up. Absolutely no creeping at all! Completely solid. I do a bunch of gigging and it works fine.

I do wish I could get the front of the kick to lift off of the ground a little though. Is this what you guys are talking about with the upgraded eyebolts from Grumpy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users