• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Crud

Crud

Associate in Charge of Somthing

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

I was the original drummer for Game Theory in the early 80's and I know there are a few GT fans around so I thought I'd share this. I found out on Tuesday that he passed on Monday, and it got out on his fan and facebook sites yesterday. I didn't realize the extent of devotion and love his fans had for Scott. I was surprised by the heartfelt comments around the web from folks who didn't know him but who were touched by his songs.

A huge reason I regretted leaving GT was that I knew Scott was a great song writer. I was the old man of the group at 27 with a decent day job and quit because I couldn't commit to a national tour. They went on to achieve some success and fame on college radio and Mitch Easter produced the subsequent albums. He collaborated with Ammie Mann on some projects later on, and she was a big fan. She once said she wanted to do a whole album of his tunes. I hope she does. They recorded a song together called Inverness written by Scott.

Here are a couple of links, here and here and here. He's written tons of tunes and numerous albums with GT and The Loud Family. I was only with GT for the first album (Blaze of Glory) which was recorded in the front bedroom of my rented house on W street in Sacramento. Post production and some vocals in Scott's bedroom. The quality or lack thereof is evident. If you can get past Scott's quirky vocals, I'm sure you'll recognize the talent and heart in his song writing and lyrics.

He also wrote a book about his take on rock/pop music history, which has been widely praised.

I haven't kept in contact much with him, just face book and such, but I really enjoyed my time in the band and they are pretty special memories in my drumming career. I remember opening for some big acts at the time, Bangles, Translator, English Beat, Joe Jackson, Red Rockets, Bonnie Hayes and the Wild Combo. Fun times.

Hopefully some of you find this interesting.

Thanks for listening.

Mike

Me with the band around 1982, playing my red and black 79 slingy power kit.

Attached File  gtgig.jpg   88.58KB   22 downloads

High on Stress

High on Stress

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationMPLS
Thanks, Crud. Heard the sad news last night during a band practice. Do you know what happened?

JimV

JimV

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIowa City, Iowa

Sad news indeed.   I was in a band that opened for The Loud Family around 2006.  Scott was very nice to our band, and he had so much fun playing that he came out for a half hour solo encore where he took requests the entire time!

Crud

Crud

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Thanks, Crud. Heard the sad news last night during a band practice. Do you know what happened?

There hasn't been any official account yet.

Crud

Crud

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Sad news indeed.   I was in a band that opened for The Loud Family around 2006.  Scott was very nice to our band, and he had so much fun playing that he came out for a half hour solo encore where he took requests the entire time!

Scott was a real sweet guy to everyone. He seemed to really come out to people and communicate with his music, but otherwise he was pretty introverted, even after I got to know him. He never copped to lyrics being about him, said they were just whatever, but I think he poured his heart out in his song writing.

A Stick

A Stick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationGuelph, ON Canada

Thank you Crud for posting this information on your former bandmate. It was really heart felt.

Cheers;

A Stick

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Platinum
  • 14,824 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Real sorry to hear that Mike.

dwdave

dwdave

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 885 posts
  • LocationDavis, Ca

Man it's a small world. I played in this band as well. Early 80's. Scott was a kind introverted guy. I've been listening to the early stuff and Crud, you really played some cool stuff! When I joined I built a studio in the garage so we had a bit better sound than a bedroom HA! We spent alot of time together, Scott was so dang smart!, well read and just plain genius.  From what I was told, it was a suicide, possible family problems. He was planning on a ne GT record with Gil playing drums. this is so very sad.

5 Style

5 Style

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 6,474 posts
  • LocationSE Portland, Oregon

Man... this really sux. I'm a really big fan of the Loud Family stuff. Truly one of my very favorite bands that I've discovered since the 90s. I bought one of their promo CDs in a cheap (or perhaps give -away) bin at a record store, immediately fell in love with the music and ended up collecting most of their material. The show I saw some 10 or so years ago was really great too... though pretty sparsely attended. I was always surprised why this band wasn't bigger. They lyrics were really clever, melodies great... the whole package. They had a really hooky pop kind of a sound in some respects but then where much artier and more unique than what we tend to think of when we think of "pop." I'll miss hearing the man's music... that's for sure. 

Small world... Very cool that not just one but two folks on here played with the man. A good friend of mine talks about a guy that he grew up with in Sacramento who played in the Loud Family for a while... Again, small world. As big of a Loud Family fan as I am, I'm still not to familiar with Game Theory, though I do have one of the LPs sitting around which of course I need to check out... I might have to download some of the stuff. 

Scott Miller was a major, major talent in my book and created a really unique, really great body of work. 

Crud

Crud

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

That's cool 5 Style. I hope more people discover Scott's music, he really was a unique artist. He could write a great pop tune, and at the same time, he couldn't help but make it too arty for the average music fan. You have to invest something into art to get something out of it. It's too much work for most folks, they want instant gratification.

drummertom

drummertom

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationBoston

Hi Mike,

Such sad news, but thanks for posting.  I saw GT in Boston a few times back in the day and they put on a great show.  Scott was such a dynamic performer and a great songwriter. 

At least you will always have those great memories of your time with the band.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users