Photo

New Gretsch Custom add ons came in - 14x24 LOVE!

- - - - - Gretsch Pics

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

SamS

SamS

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationUpstate, SC

Back in 2003 I bought a new set of Gretsch USA Maples in Vintage Satin Blonde. Great drums, exactly like the Customs but limited sizes and only available in Satin finishes.  I have an 18x22, 9x12, 14x14 and 16x16. Last fall I saw that the pricing on the Satin finish Customs is almost approaching sane and they still make the finish. So in December I ordered a 14x24 and a 9x13 to match from that guy named Steve in NJ. On Steve's recommendation I shipped them my small tom for finish matching.  Steve said it would take 6 months - it took 4 with great communication the whole way.They arrived on 4/15 and I finally got them set up in my practice room. Wow, what great drums.  Very good match and in perfect shape. 

The tom sings, but the bass drum is flat out killer. The 18x22 beer can I have with the original set was good but always fighting the "basketball ping".  Not this behemoth.  Deep-deep tone with the perfect mix of thud and boom. It came with a coated PS3 on the batter and a coated Ambassador on the reso.  I added a 4" wide felt strip to the reso and tuned it up.  I cannot wait to gig these but my next one isn't until 5/4. I'll have to take them to a couple of rehearsals too. 

Attached File  3b.JPG   151.19KB   66 downloadsAttached File  2b.JPG   154.65KB   60 downloadsAttached File  1b.JPG   134.19KB   50 downloads

andrewro

andrewro

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA

That is bad ass!

Scottie_Guns

Scottie_Guns

idrum = udig?

• Members
  • 1,906 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

I have 13, 16, 18 Gretsch USA (standard depths), but 18x24 bass drum.  I think I'd prefer 14 depth (or even 16) given the option, but it was a good price as a kit and I don't care about the extra few inches THAT much.

Great drums regardless.  Yours are beauts... do the badges all match?

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 15,849 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Congrats Sam. They look awesome. I too have a 14x24 with my USA Custom merlot kit. Yeah, that dude "Steve" from NJ is a great guy. Just got my DW add on's for my Morello kit in record time from him.

Edited by DanRH, 24 April 2013 - 12:31 PM.

SamS

SamS

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationUpstate, SC

I have 13, 16, 18 Gretsch USA (standard depths), but 18x24 bass drum.  I think I'd prefer 14 depth (or even 16) given the option, but it was a good price as a kit and I don't care about the extra few inches THAT much.

No, they didn't have the square badges anymore. So the floor toms have square badges like the old bass and tom and the new ones have last years stop sign badges. They did give me the option of sending matching stop sign badges if I want to have my old drums re-badged. What do you think?

SamS

SamS

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationUpstate, SC

Congrats Sam. They look awesome. I too have a 14x24 with my USA Custom merlot kit. Yeah, that dude "Steve" from NJ is a great guy. Just got my DW add on's for my Morello kit in record time from him.

I knew you got one. It kind of tipped me over the edge. Plus I was thinking back to the days I was playing a 26" bass and the sound of a larger drum. I didn't want to go that far though. Did you port yours, and what heads are you running?

Scottie_Guns

Scottie_Guns

idrum = udig?

• Members
  • 1,906 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

I say who cares on the badges.  I found 12 and 18 toms from the 80's that matched my finish (Antique Maple - the dark "furniture" brown) and that was such a rare eBay find that I bought them.  My 13, 16, 24 kit is from '08, so they are both square badges, but different types nonetheless.

I was curious just because I know they had some stock of the square badges before they went to stop sign (and what, now round!).  I say stick with the "period correct" badges.  They're all Gretsch - that's what's important!

No, they didn't have the square badges anymore. So the floor toms have square badges like the old bass and tom and the new ones have last years stop sign badges. They did give me the option of sending matching stop sign badges if I want to have my old drums re-badged. What do you think?

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA

Beautiful!

I had the same drums in the same finish. Really pops the grain.

andrewro

andrewro

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA

I might get the badges just to have them, if they'll still send them to you. That way you have the option, as would some other potential owner in the future.

Halldór L

Halldór L

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • LocationIceland
Stunning drums. Absolutely gorgeous!

Bongo Congo

Bongo Congo

• Members
  • 6,562 posts

Man, check out the quality of that wood. Beautiful. :notworthy:

JOE COOL

JOE COOL

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,404 posts
  • LocationNYC

I might get the badges just to have them, if they'll still send them to you. That way you have the option, as would some other potential owner in the future.

i agree.......beautiful drums

axe

axe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Very nice!

Are Gretsch and Ludwig the only majors that still make 14" deep kicks? If I was president, I would outlaw 18" deep kicks. I was on that bandwagon for a decade, and now they're novelty drums to me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users