• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I am considering a 2001 DW kit that has a natural matte finish on it.  There are a few scratches in the finish but they are on the fhanging floor tom and on the bass Batter hoop where the snare rubbed against it pretty. 

The bigger concern is some kind of green stuff that is on the finish.  In some places it reminds me of the patina you see on cymbals or maybe a green water color paint.  In  some areas it looks pretty light and in others it looks more like smudges.  Overall, most of the surface is pretty clean, but it is evident on the bass and rack toms.

I may flip the kit possibly or hang onto it for a while.  We'll see.

Any suggestions on safely cleaning matte finishes in general?

I am concerned that if I do get it that I may not be able to remove the green or do some damage to the finish by using something that is too harsh.   I was thinking that Clorox wall cleaner pads may do the trick, but again, I am not sure what I am dealing with here.

Here are some pictures so you have an idea of what I am talking about. 

They are pretty dusty in general, so they need a little TLC, but should clean up nicely otherwise  They do need a couple of air vents replaced since the ones for the rack toms are missing.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by ConvertedLudwigPlayer, 28 April 2013 - 06:26 PM.

J.Hurlston

J.Hurlston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Looks like mold or mildew. Were they stored in a basement?

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia

They have been set up in a church for several years.  Not sure of their history prior to that as the current drummer has only been there for a couple of years, so his knowledge of their history is limited.  They are really dirty and have not been cleaned for quite a while.  He said he only noticed it when moving them to a different location in the space.

Edited by ConvertedLudwigPlayer, 28 April 2013 - 07:58 PM.

MrDrums2112

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer

• Gold
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationTolland, CT

Wow, they look rather neglected. I have always avoided the matte finishes because it just seemed to me like they'd get dirty too easily. Whatever you do, do not use any polish made to lacquer or polyurethane finishes on those drums, as it will ruin them. I bet they sound way better than they look though!

Bob Blackwood

Bob Blackwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Besides smudged/dirty, those shells look bone dry.  I would take off all the lugs, badges, vents, etc., down to the bare shells.  Sand them will progressively finer sand paper, then refinish with Minwax Tung Oil.  The DW website recommends that product for refinishing DW satin oil finishes.

A damp cloth and an iron will help raise any little dings.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Mr. Drums and Bob thanks for your help.  They are in need of some TLC for sure.  I had read about the tung oil on the DW site.  I have never used it, but assume it will darken the finish up a bit.  Will they likely come out looking as dark as this kit on ebay, or is there a stain on the ebay kit as well:

http://www.ebay.com/...4e#ht_82wt_1141

Thanks.

Bob Blackwood

Bob Blackwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

If you use 3-5 coats of tung oil, it would probably get that golden.  Do some searches on drum refinishing with tung oil - you'll get lots of good information.  Personally, I like the golden hue, and tung oil is a very forgiving finished (easy to touch up, re-shine, etc.).   The hardest part is removing all the chrome, but it is well worth it.  I done it a few times on two DW kits - I was always pleased with the results.  Ended up shinier than I thought.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Thanks Bob.  That is helpful info.

I do like the lighter natural look as well as the darker one in the ebay link.  I notice that the hoops on the kit I am looking at are slightly darker than the kit in it's current state.  I assume that they will need the same treatment, but did not look at them close enough to tell if they have a different coating or not.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Quick update -- I picked up the kit yesterday.  It does not look nearly as dry in person as it does in the pictures thankfully.  The bass is not quite as vibrant as the toms though. 

It turns out that the discoloration is blue ink from a pen or marker.  I was able to get a lot of it off as I was windexing the hardware, but some of had been smeared at some point.  I will try a damp soapy cloth unless someone has a better suggestion.

I hope to strip it down in a few weeks and give it a nice tung oil bath, but I would like to remove the smears if I can in the mean time.

Thanks! 

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,484 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA

Besides smudged/dirty, those shells look bone dry.  I would take off all the lugs, badges, vents, etc., down to the bare shells.  Sand them will progressively finer sand paper, then refinish with Minwax Tung Oil.  The DW website recommends that product for refinishing DW satin oil finishes.

+1

Here is my 5.5x13 Craviotto with three coats of Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil. It "ambered up" just a bit.

Attached Files

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia

+1

Here is my 5.5x13 Craviotto with three coats of Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil. It "ambered up" just a bit.

That snare is gorgeous.  The DW site recommends sanding and applying Tung Oil once a year. How often do you apply it to your snare? 

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Here are some pictures of the kit set up in my drum room.

Attached Files

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,484 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA

+1

That snare is gorgeous.  The DW site recommends sanding and applying Tung Oil once a year. How often do you apply it to your snare? 

Thanks.

Only once about three years ago. I don't gig and the drum spends most of it's time in a padded case as I rotate my snares. As for once a year, it would depend on how much you use the drum and where it's at.

Here's my 6x13 Edge with three coats of semi gloss tung oil.

Attached Files

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia
<p>That one looks great as well.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I gig out maybe once a year and have multiple kits, so I don't this kit would see the light of day, so hopefully I&nbsp;will not need to repply the tung oil for a couple of years.&nbsp; It&nbsp;will&nbsp;be set up in my window less drum room and covered with a sheet when not being played, so that may help to preserve the finish.&nbsp; Although it certainly could dry out during that time.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I will need to play around with a test piece of wood to see how many coats I would like to do.&nbsp; I like light and the darker&nbsp;color, too.&nbsp; Tough to decide.......</p>

Edited by ConvertedLudwigPlayer, 16 July 2013 - 02:08 PM.

SteveB

SteveB

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,577 posts
  • LocationSouth Hampton, NH

If this is something that wasn't there when you bought them then it might be simple aging of the wood. A lot of blonde woods have green grain or green blotchy areas right from the tree. I'd just clean them first with a good quality furniture cleaner and see what you get. If the finish is satin then  its man made so you aren't going to hurt the wood itself. Furniture polish of different types could also take care of the minor scratches or help hide them to some extent.

I don't see how you'd get tarnishing on a drum finish unless there are some brass, bronze or copper parts running down the side.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Hi Steve,

It turns out that the discoloration was blue ink, but I couldn't tell what it was until I got it home and started cleaning it up.  It looks like a pen exploded as there were dots of ink, with some of it being smeared from where someone apparently tried to wipe some of it off.  It was on the chrome, the wood and the rack.   The chrome and the dots of ink cleaned up nicely with Windex.  The smudges on the shells are not removing as easily, so I will need to try something else on the rest of the wood to get those out.

I have not tried a furniture cleaner, so I will give that a shot.

Thanks.

Edited by ConvertedLudwigPlayer, 16 September 2013 - 03:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users