• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

bellbrass

bellbrass

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationHorse Country, Kentucky
I saw the Ludwig ad in the February 2009 issue of MD, and it advertised a new signature snare. It's the Alex Van Halen model, and has 15 plies of Rosewood, tube lugs, die-cast hoops, the Millennium throwoff, and a cool new badge. It's a 6.5" x 14", I think.The ad also featured a new Ludwig 100th Anniversary logo at the bottom (not on the snare). I thought it all looked pretty cool.

steambent

steambent

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationOhio
I saw that too and it does look interesting.I am not any expert on AVH but didnt he always play a metal snare?

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
i`m no marketing expert, but, if i was going to advertise a picture of a snare drum in a drum magazine, i`m pretty sure i would post a picture and some details of it on my website. get with it ludwig. since they don`t sell clues at the gas station down the street from the ludwig factory, go to the drum workshop web site and look around and take some notes. PLEASE!!!

treviso

treviso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Alex Van Halen played a Tama Rosewood 6.5x14 snare drum throughout most of the early to mid 80s. It is the drum responsible for that "Bink" sound he is known for...think of the snare sound on "Jump" and there you have it. He talked about this drum in his interviews in MD in 83/84. This new drum from Ludwig is an homage to that drum. It looks really cool. If it sounds anything like the Tama Rosewoods...it should sound just killer and be a real winner.

Regarding Ludwigs marketing...they always manage to screw things up like this. For instance, they recently released the mother of all drums, the holy grail, if you will...the Legacy line and you would think that their advertising would be focused on letting the whole world know that the highly prized 3-ply shells with solid maple reinforcement hoops are once again available (a dream come true for many of us), but it wasn't. Hardly a few ads featuring sizes and finishes that didn't appeal to most vintage buffs...totally missing the boat...AGAIN! Forget about the fancy graphics, show us some cool tubs with some hi-res detailed pictures. The recent Matt Sorum Ludwig ad comes to mind where it doesn't even have a good picture of him behind his kit. The graphics are so mangled and then you have this little nothing picture of his BDP Classic Maple kit that you have to strain your eyes to try to make out what you are looking at. What are they thinking?
Ok, so I haven't taken into consideration marketing budgets, but still, there are better, more organized ways of doing things than what Ludwig generally shows us. They make great sounding drums! I have a Legacy kit in the Rose Copper Sparkle in 24, 13, 16, 18 that is just stunning to play and hear. These drums are the real deal and they sound better (to my ears) than just about anything I have owned, played, or heard. They are that good! They generate an outstanding amount of low end OOMPH, but still have a crystal clear top end, making them easy to tune. Along with their Classic Maple drums, that just sound terrific, and their metal snare drums, Ludwig should be owning the drum market once again. And, while they are doing better than in years past, unfortunately, they are not owning the drum market and I think that it is mostly due to the failure of their marketing. They don't know how to market their drums. That said, this past year, I purchased 3 Ludwig kits (1 Legacy, 2 Vistalites!) with plans to order another Legacy kit in the exotic sunburst Bubinga finish that we got a glimpse of at NAMM. YEAH, I love Ludwig drums!

Robert

P.S. Regarding the Alex Van Halen ad...Notice that the snare drum behind Alex's kit ISN'T his new signature drum! It is a matching snare to that drum set. Ok, so it is a new drum...come up with a new picture with THAT drum being played by Alex and do it right! Create some real interest and tantalize your audience. I am certain that they would sell more drums. Yeah, I am picking on Ludwig. But honestly, I think they make the best sounding drums at any price. God bless Ludwig Drums!

LizH

LizH

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • Locationusa
So it's all rosewood and not rosewood veneer? Sounds like something I could be interested. Anyone have a picture since it's vacant from Ludwig's site?

Vipercussionist

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary

• Members
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationRhode Island, USA

So it's all rosewood and not rosewood veneer? Sounds like something I could be interested. Anyone have a picture since it's vacant from Ludwig's site?

Yeah, DEFINITELY need a PIC!!

Luddite

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief

• Gold
  • 9,011 posts
  • LocationThe Great Black Swamp
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40429

bellbrass

bellbrass

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationHorse Country, Kentucky
Liz-

It's supposed to be 15 plies of Honduran Rosewood, not a veneer. I imagine even the street price will be up there as a result. I think only 100 will be made; it's an anniversary product, so the ad said.

Ludwig has not officially released the drum yet - I think it's supposed to be revealed at Winter NAMM. After that, I expect to see a lot more promotion.

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,360 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL & Jacksonville, FL

bellbrass said:

Liz-

It's supposed to be 15 plies of Honduran Rosewood, not a veneer.

Plies ... Ludwig actually made a steambent snare drum a few years ago, and, if I am not mistaken, Pearl makes a stave. 15 plies is a lot of glue, which renders moot the wood species from which the shell is made.

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 6,277 posts
  • LocationChichester NH
Alex has bounces around on his snare choices. He started out using the standard 6.5x14 supersensitive. I think the first album that featured the rosewood snare was fair warning. Alex seems to make any snare sound like him though. He went back to using a metal snare drum in the 90's and only swithched to a wood one starting with the last tour that featured Roth. I really liked the sound of his wood snare on that last tour.

The reason you don't/won't see any pics of Alex with his new snare is that they are'nt doing anything! The seem to go into hibernation and only come out when a tour happens. Alex especially seems to disappear. :? I guess they need to wait for Ed to get married and Wolfie to finish school!

wayne

wayne

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,883 posts
To my knowledge,Ludwig has never "made"steam bent shells.I do know that they contract out for product they dont want to be bothered with,as in the case when i was given the verbal go ahead to make 100 shells for the 2000 sp edition.At the last moment Cooperman swooped in and low balled the project leaving me with my mouth open..."So sorry,but you understand"?....I sure do....Anyway,why would Ludwig promote a very ltd. drum when its going to sell out as soon as the word gets out?..Regardless of the initial cost,you can bet that line is already in the history books.

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

wayne said:

To my knowledge,Ludwig has never "made"steam bent shells.

They did for the 95th anniversary edition: http://www.musicgear... ... /1113.html

LizH

LizH

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • Locationusa
I just wish they would do a makore veneer legacy kit. I'd sell a first born for that. Spoke with Todwig though and he says they can't do it in certain veneers because of the width of the available veneer stock. I've seen DW and Sonor kits in just such a veneer though? :(

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

girlthatdrums said:

I just wish they would do a makore veneer legacy kit. I'd sell a first born for that. Spoke with Todwig though and he says they can't do it in certain veneers because of the width of the available veneer stock. I've seen DW and Sonor kits in just such a veneer though? :(

I have a snare drum veneered in it. The builder said that finishing it was the most time consuming wood he ever tackled. Here is a shot that does not do it justice:

Posted Image

LizH

LizH

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • Locationusa
Woops, I meant Makassar. :oops:

Posted Image

The Ludwig Makassar snare.... would look absolutely droolable on a Ludwig kit. *sigh*

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users