- - - - - cymbals

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Jonathan DeStefano

Jonathan DeStefano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I want to get new cymbals soon. I have decided between Zildjian Custom A or K. I play all types of music, but mostly rock and pop. Thanks.

Marc M

Marc M

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,205 posts
  • Locationatlanta ga

I Have some A custom and K crashes,and a K heavy ride.

Let's start with rides,I am not crazy about the near field sound of A custom rides,with the exception of the A cust 20" med,I have played a couple that really remind me of nice 60's A rides.I have heard other A cust models from out front with a band and they cut nicely with a bright ping.

My k Heavy ride is a really good Gen purpose ride,and I get compliments on it a lot,and the K line of rides gives you a lot of options.

If you play all kinds of music I would say the A custom crashes would be a good choice,if you pick out a good set,they cover all the bases,and open up up fully even with light kits,esp if you go with thinner models.

The K crashes are nice,and proJect out front more than you would think,but don't have as much high end cut for live as the A customs IMO.

Jonathan DeStefano

Jonathan DeStefano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Thanks so much!

roundbadgedude

roundbadgedude

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,547 posts
  • Locationnorthern NJ / NYC area

go K Jon! you will love em! 

K's fo' life!!!

AB07302

AB07302

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationJersey City, NJ

To me, K = generally darker and more traditional, and A = generally more modern. I think it's just a matter of what sort of vibe you're looking for.

Formula428

Formula428

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 952 posts
  • LocationLA, CA, USA

I responded to the OP's other post -- and since I have played and recorded pop/rock, and have all the cymbals in question (quite a few, i may add), here's my take:

Yes, A customs are certainly brighter.  They tend to be more "transparent" sounding, with less "oomph" or body behind the cymbal.  I really like them for live because they do cut through.  However, they are thinner (I cracked both of my, 14" and 15" crashes), so consider that.  I will say that my 15" A Custom crash was one of my favorite.  However, I hate the Projection Crashes and, in general, I really haven't found other A Customs that I like.  Therefore, I probably won't be buying any of these in the near future.

K and K Customs are certainly darker.  They are generally thicker, with more body behind them.  I like these more and more as I continue to expand my cymbal inventory.  Many times, I do find that they don't quite have the shimmer than an A Custom does -- they don't seem to open up as nicely as the A Customs.

A Zildjians are middle of the road.  I have many of these too.  The A Thin and now discontinued Armand Thin and Medium-Thin crashes sound amazing and I really really like them on recordings (my favorite for that type of music).  However, I don't play them live because I wouldn't want to crack any of those.  They're some of my most prized cymbals, in terms of sound.  For the everyday practice, I actually scored a 18" and 19" A Medium crash that I just love.  Same great sound, just a little louder.  I use those in conjunction with the K's and they match up really well.

Concerning rides -- I have tried to like A Customs and I just don't.  I think the rides are lousy at best.  I have recorded nearly all of my pop/rock albums with a mid-90s A Medium Ride.  It just has a great sound.  My second choice would be my 20" K Ride (modern version).  It's a great ride as well.  If you want something a little heavier, I'd probably switch brands and get a Raw Bell Dry Ride (Sabian) or a Paiste Dry Dark Ride or Sabian Paragon Ride.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cymbals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users