jespo

jespo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBoston and Western MA

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share some pics of a 'Charlie Watt's Tribute Kit' I put together... well I didn't have to much work other than clean it and put new heads on it. Unfortunately it's not a Gretsch.. but here is the story.

I recently found/bought a mid-late 70's natural finish Tama Superstar kit on ebay. This kit has patina marks/scratches in the same spots that are on Charlie's kit.

The rash on the 12 tom and the miscellaneous scratches/marks all over the kit. 

The bass drum tom mount is similar to the defunct Ludwig mount on Charlie's.

The finish has that darkened honey look that you can only get with age. (Very similar to Charlie's)

The sizes are the same as Charlie's kit.

(At this point... I'd like to thank Kingtrixon for posting many close up pictures of Charlie's kit and answering questions. They were very helpful in the decision process.)

I've been trying to find a kit like this for a long time... the Charlie kits that were for sale on the forum sold very quickly.

I was considering a few options:

1. Buy a new natural finish Gretsch in the same sizes. ($2300+ and it didn't quite look like Charlie's kit... too new looking, no dark honey look)

2. Buy orphan GRB shells/parts and build one myself. ($1500-2k and who know how it would come out. Lot's of work and I'm not setup to take on the job... and it still wouldn't have the patina markings and aged look.)

The Tama had what I was looking for most in a Charlie tribute kit... and at $425... I had to do it.

For finishing touches, I had 2 bass drum logos made... one with my bands name and one with Tama.. (I can switch between to 2 depending what gig  all encased in the Gretsch drum logo and put a 50th Stones Anniversary sticker on the very bottom. (My gf bought them from the Stones show we went to in Boston.. she rocks!! :) )

So for now... I'm really digging the Tama... and I hope you do to. :)

Here is a link to more pics:
http://sdrv.ms/1c6fdW9

Enjoy and keep on Rolling!

Attached Files

Harris K.

Harris K.

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Nice. Nothing screams Charlie Watts, more than a battle-scarred, darkened, natural maple kit.

Even if it's not Gretsch... The logo was a nice finishing touch.

Now, you'll just have to find an old UFIP china and a flat ride. :)

Edited by Harris K., 25 July 2013 - 01:14 PM.

jespo

jespo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Nice. Nothing screams Charlie Watts, more than a battle-scarred, darkened, natural maple kit.

Even if it's not Gretsch... The logo was a nice finishing touch.

Now, you'll just have to find an old UFIP china and a flat ride. :)

Thanks for the kind words Harris! Indeed... When I first saw the pics of the Tama.. I said.. "This will do!" 

I have a vintage 18 Zildjian flat ride and a few china's to hold me over. A new UFIP cost more than what I paid for the kit!

Charlie on a budget.. if you will. :)

Harris K.

Harris K.

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

The more I look at it the more I like it!

I was just kidding about the cymbals. Old UFIPs are hard to find anyway, and if you do, they probably won't sound like Charlie's.

BTW, my mistake, Superstars were birch, so make that, "natural birch". But who cares? It's wood, and that aged look is so classy...

dharma bum

dharma bum

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, New Mexico

Love it.  Very classy in a laid-back way.

jespo

jespo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Very cool!! Glad you guys dig it!  Tama made great drums back in the day...still do.  Lots of innovations came out of that company.

They sound the part too... nice mid range punch.

One thing I that is bothers me a bit is that I had to turn the 12" tom upside down to get the rash marks in on the right side. It doesn't look correct on the left side... nor does an upside down badge. It was a trade off that had to be made. Maybe I'll flip the badge at some point... or make RS 50th anny round badges or decals to cover the badges?

Now I know how sports fanatics feel... :)

Edited by jespo, 26 July 2013 - 07:50 AM.

JOE COOL

JOE COOL

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNYC

they look good

wingnut

wingnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Locationwny

How about a Chris Layton tribute kit?  (SRV) Live @ the El Mocambo.  Same kit I believe.

jespo

jespo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Ha!! Indeed!  I thought he had the same kit... just looked at some pics and it's spot on.

wingnut

wingnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Locationwny

Going by the videos it looks like he was/is a Tama guy.  I do like mine.

shuffle

shuffle

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe
What's not to love!
Killer!
Sha'-do-pee!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charlie Watts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users