delrey

delrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE

DELETED. Love the drums though.

Edited by delrey, 15 January 2014 - 03:18 PM.

earteaga

earteaga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSonora, TX

Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to what new lines, or revamped old lines, come from the move.

--

Eddie

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Cool info. Looking forward to checking it all out.

MustangMick

MustangMick

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationDundalk, Ireland

Looking forward to seeing Yamaha back in the marketplace.

Will be interesting to see the re-issued Recording Customs (and I hope there will be an equivalent of the Club Customs, nearest thing to my current 8000 kit)

Yamaha is home for me.

Mick

TopHatJohnny

TopHatJohnny

Master of the TopHat's!!

• Members
  • 2,784 posts

I've always though China or Japan when hearing Yamaha, so no surprise to me>> Good tubs I have heard.

Bugtussle

Bugtussle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTeXXas

After all the work he put in on the club customs and his snare I wonder what 'ol Steve Jordan is gonna do...

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 6,080 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
Sounds interesting, thanks for the report. I am glad I got my Club Customs when I did , great drums best sounding kit Yamaha ever made IMHO.

delrey

delrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE

Sounds interesting, thanks for the report. I am glad I got my Club Customs when I did , great drums best sounding kit Yamaha ever made IMHO.

Agreed!

drawtheline55

drawtheline55

Owner/admin

• Administrators
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationBoston

Thanks for the info, The Live Custom look great, heard the kick, it thunders.

shilohjim

shilohjim

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,699 posts
  • Locationshiloh, nj

Once the Japanese made Recording Customs were gone, Yamaha became dead to me. The Live Custom are certainly loud, if that's your thing. I prefer "good" sound to "loud" myself however. Well, good luck to them.

Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo

• Members
  • 3,392 posts

Yamaha was promoting a Dave Weckl signature drum on Facebook yesterday, based on the older aluminum model (dual strainers, same lugs) but with a brass shell in gloss black. Fine looking drum.

earteaga

earteaga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSonora, TX

Rick..

Did you ever play on an older Club Custom kit? The ones made up of birch and mahogany. If so, how did they sound?

--

Eddie

delrey

delrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE

Can't find that on the Yamaha FB page...

Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo

• Members
  • 3,392 posts

Can't find that on the Yamaha FB page...

It may not have been Yamaha, come to think, and I don't have graph search to help me search posts.
I was going to save it when I saw it but .. I do know it was brass and it was black, sorry. If it was a scam it was well done.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,390 posts
  • LocationSingapore, Singapore

I always want to like Yamaha since they are very well built and they were the first brand of drums I owned. Having said that, their sound just NEVER does anything for me. To me they sound generic- sort of like Mapex. Obviously I'm in the minority because millions of people love them, so maybe I'm the crazy one.

The Club Customs are definitely the best sounding (to my ears at least) drums that Yamaha has made, so it is disappointing to hear they will no longer be making those drums. I really dug the finishes they came up with on those drums too. It wasn't the same old flat stains, the fades (please NEVER again), or the sparkles. 

gutenberg

gutenberg

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Sounds encouraging! Might that mystery inner ply within the Absolute maple shell be kapur wood?

skinsman

skinsman

The Beak

• Members
  • 3,470 posts
  • LocationEarth

Hmmm, the price points on the on the Live Customs make me think, DW Performers or Gretsch Reknown.....good but not the flagship. 

I guess Phoenix went the way of their efforts years ago with the Carbon Fiber kits.

From a market share standpoint and the highest selling demographic, I give them credit for going where the money is best, first. 

As far as how the new lines hold up against RC's.....let's see how many artists use them in a studio, or live. Real Artists.

The Yammie Rep that comes in here occasionally stated that there were issues getting non Chinese lumber into play...literally))

That being the case I guess sonically and for all of the characteristics that are considered in a wood specie, there has to be something in a country the size of China that will sound like the Birch and Maple we are used to. That may take some time.

I have had some friends very high up in John Deere that have been trying to get the Chinese to cast and machine a correct engine block and finally gave up because the quality was just not there. It went to Russia. 

I have had personal experience importing finished marble and onyx products to spec and although nice, it was inconsistent in sizing and quality.

I am in kind of a wait and see mode.

I can say this, I have seen some of the new Sakae tubs and they are FINE MOFO's........but priced like they are gold plated.

I guess we shall see.

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,333 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA

I wish them well.

The hook lugs would stop me from buying a new kit.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Getting one soon! Currently I have one on layaway and waiting. I'll have it next month sometime. My wallet isn't happy now but so glad I grabbed it before being gone.

delrey

delrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE

Agreed

Edited by delrey, 15 January 2014 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users