Photo

Independent Cymbalsmith Poll

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Independent Cymbalsmith Poll

Who is your favorite independent cymbalsmith?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

xipa4

xipa4

Girl Drummer

• Members
  • 3,045 posts
  • Location<Insert Location Here>

Hi!

Who's your favorite independent cymbalsmith?

My favorite is Roberto Spizzichino because his cymbals sound amazing.

Edited by xipa4, 22 November 2013 - 06:30 AM.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,304 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

I voted Spizz but honestly haven't owned any indy cymbals. 

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,373 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm voting for Matt. I have four of his cymbals (and lust after owning more). I'd love to own a Spizz someday but I think that's probably out of the question price-wise.

VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,637 posts
  • LocationTexas
I havent had the pleasure if trying any of them so i cant vote. You forgot to add craig lauritsen to the list.. another name mentioned frequently.

Alan_

Alan_

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationAustin

Nolan. That guy's a wizard with metal, and one of the nicest folks you'd ever want to meet.

His triangles are some of the best I've ever run across, and his gongs-of-various-shapes are incredible. He's got a great ear and a great eye for design, and can go from completely "straight" cymbals that would fit in a variety of situations to more specialized sounds.

Corsair

Corsair

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

All of the names listed are great cymbalsmiths. If they weren't, we wouldn't know their names in the first place.

Dale

Dale

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Every smith listed above are oustanding craftsmen/women,,,,,,,,,,,I dig them all,,,,,,,,,impossible to determine favorite,,,,,,,,

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Roberto...although I'll admit I don't like every one he made.

thenuge

thenuge

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Locationbrooklyn

I dig them all and can't won't pick. (and I only own a couple of Lauritsen's mods) One not on the list that is amazing (to me) is Ottaviano.

OZjazzer

OZjazzer

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Something odd going on here? As I write this there are supposed to be 16 votes all together but the total of the votes listed at this moment is 10.

I voted for Craig Lauritsen but it hasn't registered. But at the same time I'm told I have voted?

Maybe there's a big time lag on these polls.

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.

Don't have a favorite.. I have some great hats from Matt Nolan and Michael Paiste has also modified some stuff for me. I would love to get Bettis to make me something and get a ride from Nolan to go with the hats. I'm missing PASIC again this year which is when/where I usually see him. 

I think the sheer number of different cymbals now being made is staggering.

Doosh

Doosh

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

I've never owned any of his cymbals. What are they like?

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 11,641 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Hi!

Who's your favorite independent cymbalsmith?

Yes , do tell about these. I have seen videos on these but never experienced one in person . Do you own one ? Can you post some pics if you do ?

Edited by RickP, 07 November 2015 - 11:33 AM.

hardbat

hardbat

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSacramento CA, USA

Easy vote for Spizz.  I had the pleasure of visiting him in Italy - twice!  I don't think I have ever met someone so totally obsessed with cymbals as he was (in a good way!).  The first indie cymbal maker.  I still use the beautiful cymbal I bought from him, every week.  He was an excellent drummer too.

MillerMav

MillerMav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I just purchased my first Bettis cymbal and let me say that it is truly a work of art in both visual appeal and sound.  Its a 20" Med Thin hard top that was up on eBay.  I got it yesterday; Matt communicated well and went out of his way to make sure I had the cymbal before some gigs I have coming up this weekend.  The sound is amazing; beyond any Zildjian I have owned in the past.  I don't think I will get everything from him but he will certainly gain some of my business in the future.

PPF

PPF

• Members
  • 7 posts
Obviously spizz is special, but you have to consider that nowadays his work is at least 4x more expensive than the others.

So Value on the Dollar I vote for CL and bettis

mikeylicious78

mikeylicious78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

no experience with the others, but I own a kontroversial ride from Craig Lauritsen that is quite musical and rich with tone.

Drummatist

Drummatist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBerlin
None of the people listed above are really cymbalsmiths. Making little lathing and rough hammering are not enough to make someone a cymbalsmith. The real smiths are in Turkey and they know the secret formula as well :) These people listed above are only good at taking photos with hammer in their hand, which makes me laugh all the time :)

D. B. Cooper

D. B. Cooper

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 534 posts

None of the people listed above are really cymbalsmiths. Making little lathing and rough hammering are not enough to make someone a cymbalsmith. The real smiths are in Turkey and they know the secret formula as well :) These people listed above are only good at taking photos with hammer in their hand, which makes me laugh all the time :)

Troll.

Drummatist

Drummatist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBerlin
Is it possible to think a very good bread maker exporting his dough but most of people listed buy their blanks. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

There are numerous real smiths in Turkey and we dont know even their names since they are so busy in the factory not in social media.

Edited by Drummatist, 18 March 2017 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users