- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

singleordoubleheads

singleordoubleheads

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Locationsouth of the 'burgh

Where has this guy been for the last 20 years or so?  I remember he was HUGE in the late 80's/early 90's then seemed to almost disappear.  All of a sudden BOOM--he's back.  Love him or hate him, he does have a voice that is instantly recognizable, like Michael McDonald, Joe Cocker, or Dylan.  (Whatever happened to Pomplamoose and their string of Hyundai spots a few years ago??  I guess their alive and well on Youtube).

RobbiefromAtlanta

RobbiefromAtlanta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationAtlanta
I saw one today...Honda commercial?Least he got rid of the mullett...

cworrick

cworrick

Da BIG Bunny!

• Platinum
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana

Saw it.

It had more cheese than the entire state of Wisconsin.

zildjian@consol

zildjian@consol

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,410 posts
  • LocationKaty,Texas

Saw it.

It had more cheese than the entire state of Wisconsin.

BBWaHh

Jimbodaddy

Jimbodaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
His mullet will always live in our memories.

xipa4

xipa4

Minions/Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationAVL HQ

My favorite Michael Bolton commercial is the Hyundai ones.

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,331 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA

What's next? Madonna for Hummer?

VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,735 posts
  • LocationSATX

Hahahaha

xipa4

xipa4

Minions/Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationAVL HQ

LOL! :laughing3: :laughing5: :laughing6:

fishmouth

fishmouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
Ha! Gotta hand it to Bolton and Kenny G, they are self-aware and are in on the "joke", which to me, regardless of how i feel about their music, gets my respect. And they're in the biz, which means rolling with the tides and striking while the iron is hot.

flam254

flam254

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationTexas

cue the Bolton....

SteveB

SteveB

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,550 posts
  • LocationSouth Hampton, NH

Mike actually fronted a heavy rock act in New Haven, Connecticut before he made the big time. I can't remember their name though.

Strumdrum

Strumdrum

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Cue Office Space

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Ha! Gotta hand it to Bolton and Kenny G, they are self-aware and are in on the "joke", which to me, regardless of how i feel about their music, gets my respect. And they're in the biz, which means rolling with the tides and striking while the iron is hot.

If you have no discernible talent or originality, but you're selling tons of records to the ignorant masses and making tons of money, I guess there's a joke in there somewhere.......

atomicdave

atomicdave

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 4,358 posts
  • LocationDelphi, Indiana

He has played on a small boat here on a small lake in Indiana in the past few years, in Monticello Indiana...you know, livin large.  

fishmouth

fishmouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
Which is exactly my point. Guy's gotta eat.

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 5,526 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

I celebrate his entire collection.

His rock band was called Blackjack. It's nothing like you would expect from his (not so) easy listening stuff.

Edited by TheBeachBoy, 28 November 2013 - 11:21 PM.

SteveB

SteveB

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,550 posts
  • LocationSouth Hampton, NH

If you have no discernible talent or originality, but you're selling tons of records to the ignorant masses and making tons of money, I guess there's a joke in there somewhere.......

Ron,

Both those guys are extremely talented....I just can't stand them, that's all.  :happy11:  I have sung most of my life and I could never do what Bolton does; he has some serious pipes. I don't want to listen to Babs either, but you can't take away her shear talent. I used to feel that way about Tom Jones too but I've come around with him after seeing him with Beck.

Haven't taken up the sax yet. I see Kenny as a present day Al Hirt...commercial corn, but Al could certainly play the instrument as could Pete Fountain, another one.

Edited by SteveB, 29 November 2013 - 06:44 AM.

tnsquint

tnsquint

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
Both guys are very talented. Kenny G played with Love Unlimited Orchestra while still in high school and I first heard of him while playing with Jeff Lorber's Fusion. He found a way to capitalize on that and what a shame to make a great living playing music.

Likewise Bolton has done pretty well as a songwriter as well as a singer. I recall in the early days of MTV a leather clad Bolton singing some rock song. I don't recall what that was but again he found something that worked for him and was successful at it. Nothing wrong with that.

I do really appreciate the fact that both are self-aware and don't mind poking fun at themselves. That, in and of itself is a sign of intelligence and personal security that is occasionally lacking in musical artists.

lazer

lazer

DFO Potentate

• Silver
  • 4,532 posts
  • Locationvancouver bc

these guys play to the audience,not artists,,that's why they are successful ,and loathed by artists-imo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users