• LocationBuffalo, NY

http://www.gretschdr...?fa=newthisyear

JDA

JDA

DFO Potentate

• Silver
  • 3,247 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

The Steve Ferrone has gone Acro- aluminum.

The Playboy is in 18" or 22" bd

Altar

Altar

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Interesting new cats...

xipa4

xipa4

Minions/Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationAVL HQ

Awesome new products!

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Platinum
  • 15,403 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Interesting that they have started the Marquee line. They already have the New Classics and Brooklyn's that I think ( correct me if I'm wrong) are in the same price range. Only diff I see is the NC's have different lugs and sparkle wraps and the Marquee's are standard Gretsch lugs and wood finishes. I'm sure I'm missing something. At least the three lines have unique finishes.

Also, now the Brooklyn snares look to be now steel. Weren't they brass before? I have a COB Brooklyn that i love BTW.

Stixnergard2

Stixnergard2

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

I like the clubdate style Ribbon Mahogany  limited series. Steve Maxwell had Gretsch do a version without the Ribbon Mahogony and it looked great. This version should look sweet and with only 12 kits being built will sell out fast. I wonder what the pricing will be on them.

CONFIGURATIONS

MODEL# SHELL DIAMETER DEPTH GRC-J484-RMP Snare - 10 lug 14" 5.5" 4-piece "Playboy" Bop kit Tom 12" 8" Limited to 12 kits in North America Floor Tom 14" 14"   Bass Drum 18" 14" Hardware Features:
Single (center) lug on each drum
Rail Consolette Tom mount system
G4820V diamond shell-mounted plate bracket tom
NEW G4825 hinged diamond plate brackets on floor tom MODEL# SHELL DIAMETER DEPTH GRC-E404-RMP Snare - 10 lug 14" 5.5" 4-piece "Playboy" Retro kit Tom 12" 8" Limited to 12 kits in North America Floor Tom 14" 14"   Bass Drum 20" 14"

Attached Files

Drum Gear Review

Drum Gear Review

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

I don't think the Brooklyn Chrome Over Steels are a replacement. Just an addition. 

I've been wondering when one of the big guys was going to put out a line of snares that emulates the boutique appeal. As far as I can remember, Big G is the first. I'll be interested to see these at shows this year. 

ianjphil

ianjphil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I'm impressed all around with the new Gretsch products. Thinking about getting a new kit for 2014 has just gotten a lot more difficult..

JDA

JDA

DFO Potentate

• Silver
  • 3,247 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

Interesting that they have started the Marquee line. They already have the New Classics and Brooklyn's that I think ( correct me if I'm wrong) are in the same price range. Only diff I see is the NC's have different lugs and sparkle wraps and the Marquee's are standard Gretsch lugs and wood finishes. I'm sure I'm missing something. At least the three lines have unique finishes.

Also, now the Brooklyn snares look to be now steel. Weren't they brass before? I have a COB Brooklyn that i love BTW.

The steel is an addition..(oops already mentioned.

Edited by JDA, 04 January 2014 - 01:32 PM.

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

I don't think the Brooklyn Chrome Over Steels are a replacement. Just an addition.

I've been wondering when one of the big guys was going to put out a line of snares that emulates the boutique appeal. As far as I can remember, Big G is the first. I'll be interested to see these at shows this year.

Premier has been doing this awhile with their "one" series.

Drum Gear Review

Drum Gear Review

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Totally true! I knew I was missing something, but I couldn't think of it for the life of me. 

I saw those One series drums at NAMM last year. Looked beautiful, but I didn't have a chance to do any tapping. 

steambent

steambent

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,446 posts
  • LocationOhio
I know it is 2014 and not 1975 any more and I also know Gretsch probaly not be alive if they had not changed with the times and only offered their top of the line Custom sets and Blackhawk imports like they had thru the early 90's but damn they (and other drum companies) are like the cymbal companies, impossible to keep up with what they are offering. Nothing is simple anymore.

Bijan

Bijan

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
Expect more to be revealed at NAMM. Can't say anything else...

LimaPop

LimaPop

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 565 posts
  • LocationBoulder
I wish the mahogany drums were all mahogany, not just a veneer......

thewedge

thewedge

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Gretsch is pissing me off...at least what I know before NAMM.  The tom mount they use on the RN1 Renown looks a ton better than the GTS monsters that came on my Customs.  I had my local shop call and they will not be selling those separate.  So...unless something changes, I'll be using Atlas mounts on the Gretsch.

Signals

Signals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Gretsch is pissing me off...at least what I know before NAMM.  The tom mount they use on the RN1 Renown looks a ton better than the GTS monsters that came on my Customs.  I had my local shop call and they will not be selling those separate.  So...unless something changes, I'll be using Atlas mounts on the Gretsch.

I like the RN1 mount too.  I thought both series shared the same lugs?  If so, then just get a set of Renown lugs with the mount and place them on the customs.

EDIT: Oh wait, I overlooked the part about them not selling the mount separate.  Maybe you can buy some orphaned Renown toms cheap?

Edited by Signals, 04 January 2014 - 05:34 PM.

andrewro

andrewro

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA

I thought the NCs were going bye-bye... lots of close-outs earlier in the fall. Also - is it possible someone could order the RN1 mounting parts, even though they're not officially available? Maybe by sweet-talking Maxwell or another large Gretsch dealer? I just drilled my mounted tom and stuck the bracket right on the shell. However, I finally saw the RN1 mount in person over the holidays and it's really elegant.

thewedge

thewedge

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

I thought the NCs were going bye-bye... lots of close-outs earlier in the fall. Also - is it possible someone could order the RN1 mounting parts, even though they're not officially available? Maybe by sweet-talking Maxwell or another large Gretsch dealer? I just drilled my mounted tom and stuck the bracket right on the shell. However, I finally saw the RN1 mount in person over the holidays and it's really elegant.

I tried....pretty good connections and they apparently have no way to do it since the renown is not custom assembled. Them stock of mounts is only bought for those kits or something, Stupid. I guess I'll roll with the atlas mounts until they figure it out.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • LocationVirginia

The Marquee kit looks like the Renown RN kit only with triple flange hoops and no silver sealer. Sort of a step in between the Brooklyn and Renown/USA kits without the hard poly finishes.

I would definitely be interested in switching to the RN-1 mount for my Gretsch kits if they were available individually.

galaxy08

galaxy08

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 723 posts

The White Chocolate finish on the new Catalina Club series looks tasty (pardon the pun). The updated badge and hardware are pretty cool, too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users