12 replies to this topic

RogerSling

RogerSling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hello
There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there on the Royal Star line. Quite a few generalities that don't seem to apply across the board.

I picked up a very odd kit. It appears to be a unique Royal Star in the standard sizes. I've read the catalogues and know what is supposed to be the shell makeup.
This one doesn't follow suit.
There are no four plies of mahogany. The grain pattern follows through. It's a strange duck for sure.

Note the pictures of the bearing edges. It's definitely an odd one.

I'm familiar with Brazilian Grain kits. They were unusually darker and had some cheap mahogany core plies. Only the earliest ones were lighter and mahogany-free, evidently. This kit is a lighter one like the one in the attached catalogue link. It seems to be a one species build.

Any help?

Follow this link to a picture of a catalogued kit that represents mine. 1981 and one of the only Tama cats that shows this build of Royals.

http://www.tamadrum....cat_id=44&now=3

Edited by RogerSling, 09 January 2014 - 05:22 PM.

jamesgdrummer

jamesgdrummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Hello
There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there on the Royal Star line. Quite a few generalities that don't seem to apply across the board.

I picked up a very odd kit. It appears to be a unique Royal Star in the standard sizes. I've read the catalogues and know what is supposed to be the shell makeup.
This one doesn't follow suit.
There are no four plies of mahogany. The grain pattern follows through all the plies. It's a strange duck for sure.

Note the pictures of the bearing edges. It's definitely an odd one.

I'm familiar with Brazilian Grain kits. They were unusually darker and had some cheap mahogany core plies. Only the earliest ones were lighter and mahogany-free, evidently. This kit is a lighter one like the one in the attached catalogue link. It seems to be a one species build.

Any help?

Follow this link to a picture of a catalogued kit that represents mine. 1981 and one of the only Tama cats that shows this build of Royals.

I know a good amount about brazilian grain kits, but that link doesn't work, could you post a pic of your kit?

Edited by jamesgdrummer, 05 January 2014 - 03:11 AM.

RogerSling

RogerSling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

That should be the correct link.

jamesgdrummer

jamesgdrummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Ok, now could you show a pic of a shell of yours with the had off so I can see the plys?

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,475 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011

I love those old vintage TAMA kits.  They are well made drums!

Dean

Dean

Stable

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationMass

There was one of those on ebay last week, some music shop.  I think Royalstar was their experimental line, I have a set in the luan/wrap makeup with a wrap no tama guys had seen before, they are from 1983, Ive also seen what has been clled rosewood and or shia wood. 

barryabko

barryabko

• Platinum
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA USA
A friend of mine (non-drummer) has a Royalstar tom that looks like it is a solid piece of wood - Cordia? The grain travels through from interior to exterior.

RogerSling

RogerSling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I realized I misspoke earlier. There are no plies. There is only one single ply. These drums are single ply, like a solid wood snare. This is unlike any Tama kit I've ever seen. It is unlike any RoyalStar kit that most are familiar with. That is precisely why I started this thread.
This kit was built in about 1979-1980-ish and I cannot locate one discussion on the internet that shines a light on it. It is a solid one ply kit and few people are aware.

Edited by RogerSling, 09 January 2014 - 05:21 PM.

RogerSling

RogerSling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Tama has built RoyalStar drums in several layups. This solid single ply was only built for a very very short amount of time. It never appeared in a full Tama cat, only a short supplement that was printed in 1981. That same year Tama has the common RoyalStar lineup in several cats. If I was a betting man, I would venture they built this solid wood single ply layup for less than a year.

RogerSling

RogerSling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Here are a couple of edge shots.  Hopefully they are clear enough.  Best I can do.

Attached File  IMG_2851.jpg   97.57KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2852.jpg   120.61KB   10 downloads

Mike Tama

Mike Tama

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  • LocationUSA

interesting

Dean

Dean

Stable

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationMass

Yep, interesting, any new designs they came out with got a Royalstar badge,  Ive seen at least 5 shell make ups from 79-83, from walnut , that cordia/shia whatever wood, cheap ass luan, laquer, (ie superstar), Birch and maple hybrid.  Bet there is little to no documentation on them, and its a pretty safe bet that anything experimental was kept under close scrutiny while Tama , Pearl and Yamaha prepared and succeeded to take over the Global Drum Market, funded by the Ironicly the U.S. in im sorry money

ChristianB

ChristianB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustria/Europe

I have a Royal Star from the mid 70s in a finish that only STAR used ! But TAMA made also Royal Stars with it again! It´s Luan with zola coating inside!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users