• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Jeff Shoup

Jeff Shoup

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  • LocationMid Michigan

I posted last fall about a 60's round badge kit I restored. The kit is 100% functional now but I'm looking for some ways to make it a little more user friendly, specifically concerning the vintage floor tom legs and brackets..

It has its original legs and brackets, but they're just so rickety that the drum has now fallen over twice after being brushed by a passerby. Does anyone have recommendations for an alternative that wouldn't require any drilling? It's a player kit for sure, so I don't mind swapping out some parts, and I'm wondering if the newer, slightly smaller diamond brackets that use the heavier legs would fit the hole spacing.

Thanks!

Jeff

avedisschwinn

avedisschwinn

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 527 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

I put the new ones on a vintage kit for the same reason...I don't have them in front of me, but I think they are the same size, and the old legs fit fine

the receiver where the legs go is longer and holds thing much steadier. But... I got them for under $10 each and I'm seeing prices like $25 each on line for the new ones, that is insane...

JDA

JDA

Drum Czar

• Silver
  • 2,547 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

I just stock some  newer Diamond plates (from ebay) and replace worn ones  when the time comes on  as needed basis. They're identical down to the identical; like brand new 1960s parts;  Put aside the 'straight legs and buy : 3/8" diameter modern -curved Lud-style- new legs from anywhere and you should be tight.

Problem is new old style logo'ed Gretsch brackets aren't advertised as much anymore as they once were and are moving into the 'very expensive replacement' part category...

call explorer's direct see whats up)

Hope that easier than changing fitting a new design to your floor)

Jeff Shoup

Jeff Shoup

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  • LocationMid Michigan

I was looking at the newer diamond plates on which the plate itself is slightly smaller and the plate receives a 10.5mm leg via eyebolt. I think they're used on some of the newer mid line kits or something. Part number is G4823MT but a quick google search doesn't find them listed at Explorer's et al.

Or maybe even these:

http://www.explorers...om-bracket.aspx

Do you know if these use the same hole spacing as the vintage brackets?

I don't really care about maintaining a vintage look, I just want set up to be quick and sturdy.

Bijan

Bijan

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
The newer diamond plates with eyebolt a have the same hole spacing. They're way more stable.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 13,587 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I've replaced the older style diamond mounts with the eyebolt version with no problems.
Now there is apparently another version that should work even better and would appear to use the same mounting holes. I saw them on a set at NAMM.

Attached Files

Jeff Shoup

Jeff Shoup

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  • LocationMid Michigan

Thanks I'll check them out! Time to call Fork's.

JS

Jeff Shoup

Jeff Shoup

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  • LocationMid Michigan
Got some of the newer diamond plate floor tom brackets (with eyebolt) today. Perfect fit on my vintage RB's and oh-so-stable. Thanks for the help, all.

The brackets were only $13 each at Fork's btw.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Shoup, 21 February 2014 - 10:09 AM.

Gary

Gary

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
I've got a couple of players grade Gretsch floor toms recovered and on Gauger rims/free floating style leg brackets. It's a ring with bracket plates on it to accommodate floor tom leg brackets. One was a 15" rack tom, the other an abused 16. I was going for a modern hardware/vintage shell rack system thing. Great kit. Loved the free floating thing but ultimately way more expensive than what's been described above. Such a rig could enhance the resonance.

Edited by Gary, 21 February 2014 - 07:47 AM.

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 6,280 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

My original 1971 Gretsch set that I got in 1983 at age 12 had the same problem. I replaces the originals with the newer Gretsch with the eye bolt and they work perfectly. The hole spacing was a tad bit off but they managed to just barely fit without modding anything.

That was a real nightmare in high school jazz band when the floor tom would tip into me and I had to hold it up with my leg! My set does'nt get played all that often now but I'm glas I made the switch in case I get the urge to use them.

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 6,280 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

Here are a few pics....

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users